Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Motorcycle Riding Jackets In Your Collection

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As far as moto leathers go I have a couple for bumping around town in some padded, some not.

But as blasphemous as it sounds my favorite for touring (a lot of opportunities here in Alaska to get lost) is the Aerostich riding suit. It is ugly as hell but I get seen on the highways, it's fully padded and weather proof. Some of the conditions here are just too unpredictable to be caught in leathers. This was two Junes ago on the Top of the World Highway.

View attachment 41751

Oh so humbled that you ride in the snow. The Hayabusa just does not have the tyres suitable, it would just spin up and down I would probably go. Not really done this type of weather since a teenager.
Nothing wrong with that suit. Look at the original posted question. "Favourite motorcycle riding jackets in your collection" If this is your favourite thats ok, same as my Dainese, though it may not be my favourite jacket out of all I have.
Not everyone on here who rides a bike rides or even wants a vintage Harley Knuckle or Indian, or even a BSA Gold Star for that matter with period style matching clothing, though I do have some non armoured 60s style stuff I may wear if duty calls.

I have a several articles from Vanson including two Velociraptors (one pro perf, one night raptor) and two sport riders, both pro perf... I do have stuff made for colder weather but honestly, I am a fair weather, day time rider. I still have a sport bike, but more of a adventure rider now... I wear the synthetic, armored Dainese stuff but will be pulling the trigger on some Rukka stuff this spring, most likely the Airman series. I have seen too many people buried or permanently injured to ride without ATGATT... I have been in so many close calls including one where some knob in a white van tried to run me off the road that I often question why I deal with the risk... then I get on the bike and forget everything else except the ride...

Loving that BMW RR, want to get a test ride one day, not too keen on GSs, I think I have seen too many in full Ewan and Charley mode being used just to commute. Surely all those on the road have not just returned from around the world trip ;)

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Oh so humbled that you ride in the snow.

I dont seek the snow per se... just happens sometimes up here. Usually when I am in the middle of nowhere and hours from the nearest town.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I only have one moto jacket that I wear...and I'm almost ashamed to mention it on a thread devoted to real moto jackets. It's a Wilsons Open Road. I no longer ride, so I don't need an expensive jacket to keep my hide and the asphalt separated. This jacket was a reasonably priced eBay purchase and its comfortable when I take the doors out of the Jeep in cool weather. And like its owner...it looks OK in a bar if the lights aren't too bright.

AF

heron163

One of the Regulars
Loving that BMW RR, want to get a test ride one day, not too keen on GSs, I think I have seen too many in full Ewan and Charley mode being used just to commute. Surely all those on the road have not just returned from around the world trip ;)

lol... most adventure bikes make the trip to starbucks... maybe... but for a giant pig of a bike, the new water boxer hauls ass and handles surprising well. Off road, it is a bit mixed bag. with two up, we are talking about 1000 pounds (w/ gear) so I stick to the double track. A 10 gallon tank can take you a long way...

The RR doesn't get much use but it is a ridiculous, over the top machine... much fun.

but honestly, for total fun, not having to worry about distracted drivers or any thing on four wheels, this is it:

I mounted Trellborg winter spikes and the fun has begun...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I bought one of the closeout Atascadero models from Gibson and Barnes a little over a year ago. It is a heavy jacket, goatskin, and came with a mouton collar. The Coronado looks really nice. Thanks for sharing your collection AeroFan. My jacket must have been in storage for awhile. It has a Flightsuits tag inside rather than G and B. When I asked about it they said they hadn't used that name in about ten years. That Coronado looks like a serious piece. I like it a lot.

Thank you! I bought the Cornado after talking with an airline pilot about his goatskin leather jacket, I could tell it was very high quality. I looked up their website after he showed me the G&B tag, and found my jacket in thier clearnace pages. It was about 70% off retail price, so I picked it up! Didn't even really know what I was buying, and got a great suprise when it arrived.

Also just to affirm I'm an ATGATT person too. Keep on riding safe everyone :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I only have one moto jacket that I wear...and I'm almost ashamed to mention it on a thread devoted to real moto jackets. It's a Wilsons Open Road. I no longer ride, so I don't need an expensive jacket to keep my hide and the asphalt separated. This jacket was a reasonably priced eBay purchase and its comfortable when I take the doors out of the Jeep in cool weather. And like its owner...it looks OK in a bar if the lights aren't too bright.

AF

Thats a great jacket for simple wearing or riding. Though I wear fully armoured Power Ranger stuff I would still wear this. leather is a good protector against a slide, maybe not a Barry Sheenesque 170mph, but a lot of accidents are simply just that and this style was the norm in the 70s when I was young and stupid(Some say still am for riding bikes at my age haha). Its only when hitting the ground/kerbs/lamp posts and other vehicles hitting you it hurts. Also you can buy full on protector vests to go under these, I wear a Knox vest under an Eastman Luftwaffe and it looks and fits ok.

Also just to affirm I'm an ATGATT person too. Keep on riding safe everyone :)

Sorry, ATGTT ? Too many abbreviations these days :confused:

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Cafe racer from Magnoli Clothiers. Been serving me very well.

IMAG0169(U).jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I own 3 of those.
The first I got, have the liner ripped due to years of wear. The removable liner of this one was lost by previous owner.
Then I got another very very cheap from ebay, it had little damaged by the previous owner trying to add some character to it and failed. Have the removable liner (size 42).
The last one looks really NOS and have the removable liner (size 40).

I like them, I wear them more than my Schott Perfectos.

I also don't ride since I do not own a bike but I do have the driving license.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You guys are blowing my mind by riding in snow! Not that we get any snow in Sydney but I won't even ride in the rain if I can help it. The roads and drivers here are bad enough, I don't need to add poor traction to the equation lol

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time. See www.msf-usa.org if interested.

And yes the Pakastan & China sourced Wilson's M/C jackets have saved many a skin out there, and generally they are confortable to wear. Seems the models with the zip-out liner had thicker and softer leather than the fixed liner models.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
ATGATT = All The Gear All The Time. See www.msf-usa.org if interested.

And yes the Pakastan & China sourced Wilson's M/C jackets have saved many a skin out there, and generally they are confortable to wear. Seems the models with the zip-out liner had thicker and softer leather than the fixed liner models.
With the Asian leathers you get a mixture of good and bad, I had a Yamaha factory branded race rep jacket that was a real tough piece, made in Pakistan. Then I saw the same thing on a stall at a bike show, sold by a general vendor that was just as pretty but did not even look like it would take a minor spill. But with these things, like all our Aero and Eastman etc lovers out there we can't all afford the top quality and its either what you can afford or simply no hobby.
As for the Power Ranger moniker, I know this is meant as an insult from our vintage jacket loving friends but I tend to embrace it and use it to describe my modern gear. I am a bit like a woman with bags and shoes, but with me it is jackets and trousers etc when it describes bike gear.
As for Abbreviations, I know a few, there are far too many in use though. I thought it was something like ATGNI, which is aimed mainly at the race rep crowd. All The Gear No Idea. Basically those that commute in full Rossi race rep stuff( or the Ewan and Charley types on their GSs :rolleyes:)
Love biking in all it's themes.
Here's what they will be wearing this summer in Portugal.

DSC_0880_zpsuc2fk2tr.jpg

Me, in Spain heading that way. Kevlar jeans, full mesh armoured jacket, no visor but industrial safety glasses, oh yes, and vented gloves not pictured.

P7170164_zpsmpef0pju.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I do actually love the GSs by the way, saw three yesterday touring Epping Forrest with the full Metal Mule package. I just think I would buy a big mile muncher to commute on. Its a great bike for what it does but with any modern bike I would hate for the electrics to go down in the middle of Ulan Bator unless there is some kind of back up mode. There are only so many things we can do with sheep and goats guts ;)

heron163

One of the Regulars
I do actually love the GSs by the way, saw three yesterday touring Epping Forrest with the full Metal Mule package. I just think I would buy a big mile muncher to commute on. Its a great bike for what it does but with any modern bike I would hate for the electrics to go down in the middle of Ulan Bator unless there is some kind of back up mode. There are only so many things we can do with sheep and goats guts ;)

I think you would like this product:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
rockeeter - I like your bike and your setup there. At least the folks in shorts had helmits on :)
You're completely right about the differance in quality of some of the Asian imported jackets, many seem to have a thick, nice hide but a lot of them don't. Until you can get a feel on them it's hard to tell. And yes, for me it's only been in the past year or so that I could feel comfortable buying something like an Aero jacket. Keeps my perspective, and some humility for certain in mind. Thanks for the reminder too, I sure could use that!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
When I'm on a road trip, my Lost Worlds Easy Rider.
No wind gets through that jacket!
View attachment 41958
Rare sight on the road these days. See the odd R75 etc series at vintage bike meetings and even the occasional tea stop. Nice to see you using this bike other than poodling around. :)
I think you would like this product:

Hahahahahaha. Yes seen some who would but something like this.
I even saw a famous ex boxer turn up at the Brighton Burn up in September, unload his Harley Davidson from a truck a mile away, ride to the event then load up again, just wish I had the GoPro on the bike at the time.
Barbour make a Steve McQueen 'Tribute' jacket that has rubber mud on it, I think someone posted a feature here some time back.

heron163

One of the Regulars
Rare sight on the road these days. See the odd R75 etc series at vintage bike meetings and even the occasional tea stop. Nice to see you using this bike other than poodling around. :)

Hahahahahaha. Yes seen some who would but something like this.
I even saw a famous ex boxer turn up at the Brighton Burn up in September, unload his Harley Davidson from a truck a mile away, ride to the event then load up again, just wish I had the GoPro on the bike at the time.
Barbour make a Steve McQueen 'Tribute' jacket that has rubber mud on it, I think someone posted a feature here some time back.
no kidding...

I rode in an off road charity event this past June. We camped up at a big speedway in laconia new hampshire...during "bike weeK". There were dozens of big tractor trailers parked close by. I asked a guard what was in them. He said they were how many of the Harley riders got their bikes to bike week...

Edward

Bartender
no kidding...

I rode in an off road charity event this past June. We camped up at a big speedway in laconia new hampshire...during "bike weeK". There were dozens of big tractor trailers parked close by. I asked a guard what was in them. He said they were how many of the Harley riders got their bikes to bike week...

I've seen people drive to big bike shows, then change into motorcycle leathers standing at their car in the car park. That I really didn't get. Perhaps they wrre worried noone would believe they owned a motorcycle if they didn't turn up in biker drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21