Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Motorcycle Riding Jackets In Your Collection

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
You know when a bike jacket is just right for riding. If you put it on and there is no shoulder shrugging to get it to fit right or for modern jackets, pushing the armour into place, sit on a chair the wrong way round and go into a rider position. Place your arms in the rough position of the bars and it feels ok then the jacket should be fine. If the bike is outside, sit on that(If the store owner will allow you outside on your bike :eek:) Any of the above and it doesn't feel ok you may need a different size.
If you are just a poser, forget all that above, put jacket on and look in the mirror:p But if it has a long belt Perfecto style, please don't leave it hanging, just tuck it back. Otherwise you just look sloppy(in my oh so humble opinion haha)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just watching BBC4 doc on Mods and Rockers, and was intrigued about the suggested origins of jacket studding as a way of making motorists aware of the biker by reflecting the headlights. Opinions? Interestingly, one ageing biker pointed out that when people went sliding along the tarmac, the studs would heat up and leave the wearer with dozens of 'cigarette burns'.

Saw this first time round. A few of those romanticised myths floating about there Craig, I am not old enough to be a 1960s Rocker but have spoken to a few. You would have to slide hell of a way to get the studs to get that hot and a 5 second slide is a long time off a bike. The Barry Sheene Daytona crash was at about 170mph and he was laying there still, after around 3.
Don't know about the studs but I think it would be an intimidation thing rather than safety.
Most realists realise record racing rarely happened, we discussed this on a Facebook Rocker page. Only one guy mentioned it out of hundreds, the tune they raced to was House of the Rising Sun as it was long for the time at just over 4 minutes. A couple of riders reminisced to doing 5 laps of a short stretch of the old A12 near Romford, with a roundabout at each end, but it wasn't from a cafe but a pub lay-by(Moby Dick) though no juke box racing mentioned. This was feasible as I do this run at least once a week but now it is all traffic lights at each end. Most of the older guys seemed to remember burn ups on the big by passes of the time and rivalry with other biker meeting places.
An old timer police officer once reminisced when we were young riders that some back then would try to pass a car on the left or right when the car was indicating a turn, the object was to snap off the trafficators(those flip out light up indicators before blinking lights were introduced in the UK) Occasionally he would have to go to visit parents whose sons and daughters had been injured or killed in such incidents.

Armstrong_Siddeley_Sapphire_Winker_zpsaz0m35cv.jpg

There are quite a lot of riders today that still perform thinking they are tougher than a car. I had a kid, knee down on a 125 do a full circle of a roundabout cross in front of me as I was just about to go straight on across his path. Being a biker myself, I saw him come around the outside and slowed so let him cross. Otherwise he may have been eating Turkey in a hospital ward. Or worse, saying hello to one at the Pearly Gates.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
with my bike, I'm not too worry about sliding... I believe even a lamb would suffice... I'm talking about typical commuting speed of 30-50 km/h, probably slower than someone on a lightweight bicycle :), the other reason I don't bother to wear padding and helmet too

Good points there rocketeer, it's a scary place on the road today. Most people pay attention to everything but driving while in their cars. I ride a 52 year old ironhead, 10' feet long no front brake. 7 years ago I didn't own a single piece of protective gear aside from my gloves. My buddies and I used to love burning up lower wacker late at night. The sound of a bunch of bikes, all old rat and rusty Harleys is just amazing. I hit a pothole hiding in the shadows coming up onto upper wacker that sent me and the bike airborn, stayed rubber side down but I swear I felt the hand of God on my shoulder and a whisper in my ear say " you've had fun kid but remember you're a water ballon in a world full of needles"

I've got a wife and daughter now and I only ride early Sunday mornings and I have a fleet of leather jackets and helmets! Wouldn't even consider riding without them.

CBI

One Too Many
Not my style but some really nice looking jackets for sure! I am puzzled as most of these jackets seem to have little wear. Not enough riding guys!!!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A rare 1930s English Motorcycle/Cycling jacket in leather (feels like a Capeskin type leather). Gorgeous pre-war Deco fantail 'Lightning' zip. I did a restoration on this jacket that was found in a very sorry state. A lot of restitching by hand and finding period correct buttons for the pockets (original 30s) and leather French brace (which had detached off) beneath the zip stopper. A cafe racer style collar, lovely short torso like an A1/A2 and a knitted welt to the rear. Lovely strong leather and blue/red gingham style cotton lining. In those early days, motorcycle and flying jackets were often interchangeable for usage (as most of you will well know).
Marked Size 40.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Good points there rocketeer, it's a scary place on the road today. Most people pay attention to everything but driving while in their cars. I ride a 52 year old ironhead, 10' feet long no front brake. 7 years ago I didn't own a single piece of protective gear aside from my gloves. My buddies and I used to love burning up lower wacker late at night. The sound of a bunch of bikes, all old rat and rusty Harleys is just amazing. I hit a pothole hiding in the shadows coming up onto upper wacker that sent me and the bike airborn, stayed rubber side down but I swear I felt the hand of God on my shoulder and a whisper in my ear say " you've had fun kid but remember you're a water ballon in a world full of needles"

I've got a wife and daughter now and I only ride early Sunday mornings and I have a fleet of leather jackets and helmets! Wouldn't even consider riding without them.

Was out riding yesterday, saw two guys in singlets,shorts and flip flops cutting around....I'm stunned in this day and age, particularly with the rising road toll that blokes do this. These days I won't even ride without gloves. I've also recently started wearing a full face helmet for the first time in years. If you buy the right gear it still feels fine in 30c.As someone that has had a few accidents over the years, I think I would would rather a snapped bone than a mile of gravel rash. I'm also pretty serious about keeping my nose, chin and teeth right where they are!

Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who ride down the Dan Ryan, arguably the most dangerous expressway in Chicago in shorts and a tee shirt on a bike that'll do 180, surrounded by people in cars going 90 mph while looking at their phones. And more times than not these "riders" are carrying a passenger in the same get up!

Edward

Bartender
A rare 1930s English Motorcycle/Cycling jacket in leather (feels like a Capeskin type leather). Gorgeous pre-war Deco fantail 'Lightning' zip. I did a restoration on this jacket that was found in a very sorry state. A lot of restitching by hand and finding period correct buttons for the pockets (original 30s) and leather French brace (which had detached off) beneath the zip stopper. A cafe racer style collar, lovely short torso like an A1/A2 and a knitted welt to the rear. Lovely strong leather and blue/red gingham style cotton lining. In those early days, motorcycle and flying jackets were often interchangeable for usage (as most of you will well know).
Marked Size 40.

Gorgeous piece. Did you take 'before' photos? Really nice. Must be a fiarly rare birdy, too... you don't see much British stuff of that age and type around.

Was out riding yesterday, saw two guys in singlets,shorts and flip flops cutting around....I'm stunned in this day and age, particularly with the rising road toll that blokes do this. These days I won't even ride without gloves. I've also recently started wearing a full face helmet for the first time in years. If you buy the right gear it still feels fine in 30c.As someone that has had a few accidents over the years, I think I would would rather a snapped bone than a mile of gravel rash. I'm also pretty serious about keeping my nose, chin and teeth right where they are!

Jings, yes. Much as it can kill the look a bit, I don't think I'd ever feel safe in an open-face. My dad knows a vicar who works a lot with motorcycle folks (he's stationed up on the North coast of Ireland, round where the NorthWest 200 runs every year). Some years ago he did a funeral for a young lady who was killed in a bike accident while wearing an open face and no proper jacket. The entire front of her face and torso was so badly scrubbed off, all the undertaker could do was screw the lid down.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So I'm thankful for three of these, but first, the former bike was a 1985 Nighthawk 650, really enjoyed my 5 years with it, looking to build a similar (smaller) bike into a café racer in the next year or so...

Harley Davidson Basic Skins; purchased new in 2001, Size XL, one of the last that was still made in USA and not festooned with skulls, crossbones, or huge lettering all over:
HD Jacket 010816.jpg
Then we move to the collassal Giant of my jackets, a Gibson and Barnes Coronado. This one is a size 46 T and with the liner in it weighs just over 10.0 lbs. 5 years old and still not broken in, 4-1/4 ounce cowhide in this one.
Coronado_010816.jpg
About a year ago, I was blessed to add this 4-pocket Aero Cafe Racer. Steerhide, Size 42 so fits correctly for a Cafe Racer. Bought right off the rack at Insurrection. It has a lightweight wool lining and the smell alone is more than worth wearing it as often as possible. Just gets better as the jacket breaks in!
Cafe Racer 010816.jpg
Hoping to get back on 2 wheels when winter lets up...

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
After I posted this I visited Gibson and Barnes' website, and found that the Coronado model isn't offered anymore. Does anyone else have one? I realize it's a California Highway Patrol jacket, not sure how practical that would be in the climate of California.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
After I posted this I visited Gibson and Barnes' website, and found that the Coronado model isn't offered anymore. Does anyone else have one? I realize it's a California Highway Patrol jacket, not sure how practical that would be in the climate of California.

I think they eliminated about 1/3rd of their models from their website. They have some Atascadero (sp) moto jackets on their sale page left.

mr_lits

A-List Customer
As far as moto leathers go I have a couple for bumping around town in some padded, some not.

But as blasphemous as it sounds my favorite for touring (a lot of opportunities here in Alaska to get lost) is the Aerostich riding suit. It is ugly as hell but I get seen on the highways, it's fully padded and weather proof. Some of the conditions here are just too unpredictable to be caught in leathers. This was two Junes ago on the Top of the World Highway.

10170862_717530494980431_7869373848877595324_n.png

Same spot a year later...

IMG_3960.png

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice! Have to love Ancorage and snows in June! Looks like a great ride, and a dual sport like that one is what I'll be looking for in my next motorcycle (Iowa = lots of gravel roads.)

53Effie

A-List Customer
I bought one of the closeout Atascadero models from Gibson and Barnes a little over a year ago. It is a heavy jacket, goatskin, and came with a mouton collar. The Coronado looks really nice. Thanks for sharing your collection AeroFan. My jacket must have been in storage for awhile. It has a Flightsuits tag inside rather than G and B. When I asked about it they said they hadn't used that name in about ten years. That Coronado looks like a serious piece. I like it a lot.

heron163

One of the Regulars
I have a several articles from Vanson including two Velociraptors (one pro perf, one night raptor) and two sport riders, both pro perf... I do have stuff made for colder weather but honestly, I am a fair weather, day time rider. I still have a sport bike, but more of a adventure rider now... I wear the synthetic, armored Dainese stuff but will be pulling the trigger on some Rukka stuff this spring, most likely the Airman series. I have seen too many people buried or permanently injured to ride without ATGATT... I have been in so many close calls including one where some knob in a white van tried to run me off the road that I often question why I deal with the risk... then I get on the bike and forget everything else except the ride...

Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who ride down the Dan Ryan, arguably the most dangerous expressway in Chicago in shorts and a tee shirt on a bike that'll do 180, surrounded by people in cars going 90 mph while looking at their phones. And more times than not these "riders" are carrying a passenger in the same get up!
Happens here too. It just makes me sad and my skin literally crawls.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Armour & a full face Helmet for me every-time with a Kevlar shirt & pants...wife moans about having to attire the same when she's pillion (she wears an old Lewis Leather) & doesn't like all the knee protectors etc.

Many of the scooter riders over here wear nylon jackets, open face helmets, desert boots & no Armour. I've sometimes had the question asked as to whether I have a 'bad -back' when it's seen that I have Knox 'back protection harness' on...I simply say "no this is to prevent a bad back". I've had 'gravel rash' in my early riding years & have seen at close quarters the shorts & T-shirt approach that went wrong :-(

Looking to have a custom 'Board Racer' leather jacket made this year (un-lined) with 'Lightning' zips that I can fit a Knox 'armoured vest' underneath :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko