Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite old shows that you grew up watching then exposed your children?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Is that a digital receiver that you have to purchase?
My monitor is actually a tv, but I've yet to figure out how to get those stations.

rjb1

Practically Family
I use an old-type TV (analog), with a digital converter, at home. Getting the right antenna is a big issue and a total pain. These are low power independent stations and the signal is hard to get (at best). As an example, I can get one station in the living room and not in the bedroom and another one in the bedroom and not in the living room. An outside antenna on the roof might fix all that, but I'm too lazy and cowardly to put one up.

I don't know if you are in/near Nashville, but if so, the digital channels that I am referring to around here are 6.2-6.6, 31.1, and 44.1. 25.3 also has some good old stuff occasionally ("Miracle on 34th Street", yesterday.)

A modern digital TV (as at my Mother's house) has a provision for tuning in those stations from an antenna. However, the same reception/antenna difficulties apply.
I can give some more advice/hints if you decide to try it.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The .2, .6, etc are a problem.
I guess I need a digital converter for that.
Let me price one of those, and then see how many channels we have.
I'm further West from you, in the same state of course.
I love Nashville btw, spent many years in my elementary and high school years there.
And the Conservatory at the Gaylord, what a place, especially at this time of year!

rjb1

Practically Family
I have a thorough dislike of cable or satellite (too much worthless junk for too much money) so I have been willing to work at the digital over-the-air problems with some diligence.
To make this more general for people in other parts of the country, I suggest that if anyone wants to see the classic shows that this thread was started to discuss, it might be worth checking to see if there are independent stations broadcasting retro-TV in your own area. I didn't know about them and what they were showing until I "looked".
Just for completeness, with the system we are discussing, you can easily get the major network shows and PBS. They broadcast a digital signal that is stronger than the independents.
To get back to the original question, some systems allow a direct selection of both the primary and decimal part of the channel: "6.1". Others allow just a selection of the main number "6", and the system automatically adds the ".1" Once you are at that point, just push the "Channel Up" button and it will go to "6.2", etc.
Also to get back to the original topic, and to some extent encourage others to see what they might find in their own locations, here is a list of shows that are on the several independent stations here: (There are more good shows than I have time to watch.)

Westerns: "Lone Ranger", "Roy Rogers", "Wanted Dead or Alive", "The Cisco Kid", "Annie Oakley", and more
Comedies: "Red Skelton", "Burns & Allen", "Milton Berle", "Jack Benny", "Ozzie and Harriet", "Beverly Hillbillies", "Honeymooners", and more
Crime shows: "Dragnet", "Untouchables", "Naked City", "Lockup", "Sherlock Holmes",and others
More-modern semi-classics: "Magnum PI", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "I Spy", "Route 66" and others

Also, one channel shows classic movies, uncut and commercial-free (!). Recent ones: "Meet John Doe" (Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Walter Brennan), "Miracle on 34th St." (Maureen O'hara, John Payne, Natalie Wood), "Kansas City Confidential" (John Payne, Lee Van Cleef, Preston Foster), "Sante Fe Trail" (Errol Flynn, Ronald Reagan, Raymond Massey), and more (lots of 1930's and '40's "B" Westerns with John Wayne, Gene Autry, Bob Steele, Hoot Gibson, Gabby Hayes, and etc.)

Worth checking out where you live...

(Where did you go to school here in Nashville? - agree it's a great place...)

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
We don't have TV, so whatever old stuff I have the kids watch is on DVD on the computer. And I don't have much. But I have played for the kids WB Cartoons, The Three Stooges, and though it's not too vintage, Mystery Science Theater 3000. My oldest especially likes The Three Stooges

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
I loved the three stooges except when my older brother always wanted to hit me on the head cause it was funny,,:crazy:then we would just end up in real fights,,,:argue: :D i usually won though..:)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I loved the three stooges except when my older brother always wanted to hit me on the head cause it was funny,,:crazy:then we would just end up in real fights,,,:argue: :D i usually won though..:)
I watched a few of those today.
Now I want to put ants on somebody's bed, and cats in someone's piano. :lol:

babygirl...

One of the Regulars
:whip::boxing::fencing::ballchain::yield::rofl: ............ we learn eventually to just pick our battles and move on! :)

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Not really much in the way of TV programs, but I turned my son on to old time radio shows as I drove him to riding lessons when he was 9 through 12. He especially like Baby Snooks and Daddy, and Frank Nelson of the Jack Benny Show.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Howdy Doody
Pinky Lee
Hopalong Cassidy
The Cisco Kid
Roy Rogers
The Lone Ranger
Peter Gunn
The Rebel
Wanted Dead Or Alive
Have Gun Will Travel
The Rifleman
Rin Tin Tin
The Mickey Mouse Club
Bonanza
American Bandstand
Route 66
Then came Bronson
...to name a few.
The Gary Moore show, and This is your Life....

The 1950's sure had some great shows, and good clean talent! Who could ever forget, You Bet Your Life, Groucho Marx, Gun Smoke....Disney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot