Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Small Arms of WW2

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
The Trusty M1 Carbine...Reliable at close and distances, and small enough to carry a load on your back...

l_9abccb4299530f620dd6a84cd6fde558.jpg

towndrunk

New in Town
It's a toss up...

Between this MP 40

mp40.jpg

And this Thompson M1A1

M1A1thompsonrewatt.jpg

Whichever. Either is certain to be loads more fun than an evening spent touring the local maisons d’abattage.

Sonoma Jack

New in Town
I'm not sure whether the Browning automatic rifle qualifies as a small firearm, but I'd love to have one. Regarding pistols, I've always been fascinated by the toggle-locked Luger firing mechanism and have always pined for a .45 Colt semi.

Sigh. So many killing machines, so little time.

Good choice on the Thompson, although I would have wanted to "borrow" one of the British 1928s with the old-style vertical foregrip. (Seems to fits my hands better.)

Also, I woulda had a pair of 1911s out there. (And been picking up every mag I found, no matter what weapon for--probably bind 'em up with twine or something, and reload the usable ones.)

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Rifles:

Mauser K98k - good action, light and short as well. Less ungainly than a Garand.

Enfield SMLE (WW1 version, but used in WW2) - very quick action with large mag capacity, also short and very sturdy.

Pistols:

1911a1 - great pistol, just feels right in your hand and powerful as well

P38 - Not as powerful, but just as easy to shoot well and bit easier to carry

Subguns:

MP40 - Light, well balanced. Folding stock sort of sucks but good for vehicle crews I guess.

MP28/MP35 - Just good subguns, heavy but good with high ROF and little muzzle climb. Still better than lugging a Thompson.

Machineguns:

MG34 - Good ROF, quick change barrel, belt fed, reliable.

Bren/ZB26 - Good LMG (as far as that goes). Easy to shoot prone, reliable.

Maxim - Heavy, bulky, but cool!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I've always been a bit partial to the Parabellum P-08 (Luger). The only thing I don't really like about it is that there is too much trigger creep. That's due to the design of the sear mechanism being the mechanical equivalent of a Chinese fire drill. But it sits in your hand as if it's a natural extension of your arm.
DWM_4_inch_Navy_Luger_859.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The Bren Gun (funny how the British Army binned it because it was too accurate)

The Lee-Enfield

And the incredible and innovative MP43 and MP44.

dostacos

Practically Family
my desire is the 45 ACP 1911
then the m1 carbine [standard stock, not folding]
then the 1927 tommy gun [semi auto straight forend] then the M1 garand thumb buster and finally the M14

I guess I could fudge the M1 and M14 with the Ruger mini 14 but it is just NOT the same

all in semi auto so I can actually own them.
if I could get a B.A.R. in semi only and legally own that would be cool too. {living in the people's republic of California full auto is not an option and I don't believe in owning guns that cannot shoot}

KL15

One of the Regulars
I didn't think it was legal for a civilian to own a fully automatic weapon at all? I may be wrong there. I've seen one B.A.R. in my life. I've found them for sale on websites before but they are WICKED expensive.

towndrunk

New in Town
KL15 said:
I didn't think it was legal for a civilian to own a fully automatic weapon at all? I may be wrong there. I've seen one B.A.R. in my life. I've found them for sale on websites before but they are WICKED expensive.

It is in fact VERY legal for a US citizen (corporate or private) to own Title II firearms. (machineguns and silencers)

I own three machineguns and two silencers myself currently. If you wish to know how I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

B.A.R.'s are very expensive as are most WWII title II items from the era. An "entry level" machinegun like a Mac 10 or Mac 11 can cost anywhere from $2500-$3500. They go up from there.
Silencers are a different story however. Cheap silencers start at around $250 and go up from there. Depending on the calibur, you can get an excellent quality silencer for around $500 - $1000. Of course all these prices vary and the $200 transfer tax for each item is NOT included.

leaette

A-List Customer
we have a 1912 Lugar with matching barrel. I love that gun. It has some serious kick. and i look bada$$ shooting it too. hahah lol

Sonoma Jack

New in Town
towndrunk said:
B.A.R.'s are very expensive as are most WWII title II items from the era. An "entry level" machinegun like a Mac 10 or Mac 11 can cost anywhere from $2500-$3500. They go up from there.
Silencers are a different story however. Cheap silencers start at around $250 and go up from there. Depending on the calibur, you can get an excellent quality silencer for around $500 - $1000. Of course all these prices vary and the $200 transfer tax for each item is NOT included.

When I was in graduate school in PDX (early 80's) I visited a class 3 dealer who stocked full auto Ingram M10s and M11s for $400. Silencers cost a little less. I sorta wish I had purchased one but the tax stamps, ammo, never ending paperwork, and surprise visits by the BATF would have taken the fun out of it pretty quickly. Bah. I seem to recall the PDX police and Feds closed the guy down for something--I think he was involved in paramilitary Neo-nazi crap. He was pretty creepy and sold all sorts of BS stuff such as pen guns. But he also stocked an Uzi and an Uzi autopistol...cool.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
towndrunk said:
This subgun would be handy too: Soviet PPSh 41

ppsh41.jpg

Interesting choice for a Favorite, although when I Played "Call of Duty" Online, it was no doubt one of My favorites! lol

In real life however, My personal experience is it doesn't compare to The Tommy or MP40, not to mention The Muzzle flash was Blinding as hell!

I will say, I would LOVE to own one....

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
Twobarbreak, I second your vote for the M-1 Carbine. But I like it because it was designed by David Williams, a guy from here in the Old North State.

Atticus

Thanks, But realistically If i was in combat I would Feel very comfortable with the Carbine thats why I pick it as one of my favorites.

There are obviously faster and more powerful weapons, But the Carbine's weight, size and ability to do well at close range as well as Long make it an all around Beauty that I would feel secure with.

towndrunk

New in Town
Sonoma Jack said:
When I was in graduate school in PDX (early 80's) I visited a class 3 dealer who stocked full auto Ingram M10s and M11s for $400. Silencers cost a little less. I sorta wish I had purchased one but the tax stamps, ammo, never ending paperwork, and surprise visits by the BATF would have taken the fun out of it pretty quickly. Bah. I seem to recall the PDX police and Feds closed the guy down for something--I think he was involved in paramilitary Neo-nazi crap. He was pretty creepy and sold all sorts of BS stuff such as pen guns. But he also stocked an Uzi and an Uzi autopistol...cool.

yeah, before 1986 machineguns were fairly cheap. thanks to ronald reagan anything manufactured post 86' is not available to the public, hence the significant price jump on a sudden finite supply.

as for BATF and endless paperwork, nothing could be further from the truth. in ten years i haven't had so much as a postcard from BATF concerning my five title II's. alot of people talk about surprise visits, but i've never met a single person who's had a BATF compliance officer in their home. the paperwork was a single long worksheet with fingerprints and passport photos. hardly endless as you only fill it out once. a $200 transfer tax is nominal these days considering the prices of any given machinegun on the market today. in fact the sales tax on a 1921 colt thompson costing $20,000-$25,000 would exceed the transfer tax...

the only thing truly costly about machineguns is the large appetite they have for lead.
the only true hassle about machineguns is how you end up spending more time loading magazines than you do shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner