Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Steak

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Well, if I'm choosing and $ is no object (why not, right?) then it's an 8 oz filet (gotta leave room for dessert), medium rare with a bottle of Silver Oak Napa Cabernet (or Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cab, if we decide not to be as extravagant). We need a wine that will stand up to the beef. Side of sauteed asparagus. Perhaps escargot on mushroom caps as an appetizer.

ohairas said:
Hm.... why am I humming a ZZ Top song? :whistling
JUST KIDDING!
BTW. I got this and I'm blushing.:eek:

mineral

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
That reminds me, any preferences on breed? There's a big push for Black Angus these days. I've had it and enjoyed it, but I suspect it's at least as much a question of how the animal was treated and what it was fed. I saw a couple of Charolais steers get loose in my neighbors yard years ago. They're big and white and look almost mythical. They made my mouth water just seing them galloping down the gulley. Anyone ever have Charolais?

Wagyu for sure, whatever I can find available in the United States. :)

ohairas said:
The best steak I ever had was at the Big Texan in TX. The place where if you ate that huge 96er or whatever, your meal was free or something? It was SOOOO good. Didn't get the 96er of course.
A 96-ounce steak? Cremate it and bring it! * does The Rock "Just Bring It!" hand-gesture* How long do I have to finish, and what's the environment like?:D

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
The best steak I ever had was at the Big Texan in TX. The place where if you ate that huge 96er or whatever, your meal was free or something? It was SOOOO good. Didn't get the 96er of course.
Nikki

If that's the one in Amarillo, The Mister ate there when he lived in Texas. I believe he said it was 72 oz. (4 1/2 pounds?), and he ate most of it (including gristle) - but didn't get it for free 'cause he couldn't finish the potato that came with it. Yikes! :eek:

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shell steak, you call it?

Sylvester D said:
Anyone of any opinions regarding Omaha Steaks? The quality and price?
My dad bought some Omaha steaks, he loved them, much better than store-bought. There are still some in the freezer, waiting for me to broil them.
I'm not The Big Meat-Eater, but tonight I treated friends and family to dinner out and had a New York Strip steak, with Italian Wedding soup, salad with what seemed like an entire can of garbanzos, baked potato, and a Martini.
When I have a big beautiful steak I have it with a Martini.

Ms. Nikki, thanks for the link--looks like the one-hour time-limit and the required sides are both dealbreakers... (1. for me a good meal is two hours minimum--if it's worth eating at all, it's worth taking the time to enjoy it, right?--and 2. allergic to seafood, which means shrimp cocktail=dealbreaker.)

Thanks for the intel, but I'm gonna sit that one out...

Doh!

One Too Many
When in St. Louis, drop by Citizen Kane's for a helluva steak.

The best one I ever made for myself was a $20/lb. New Zealand filet I got at Whole Foods. I marinated it for 3 days in a mixture of red wine ($2 Buck Chuck), olive oil*, soy sauce, a dash of liquid smoke and 1 packet of Chinese hot mustard.

A buddy of mine had just bought a new grill so I christened it thusly.

*(because I was just watching my Popeye DVDs this morning, I almost typed "olivy oyl.")

Copper

One of the Regulars
Ribeye or bone-in rib steak for me please -cooked fast and hot to no more than medium rare, sprinkled with a little fresh ground pepper and some fleur-de-del. I won't say no to a strip loin either, mind you.

Although normally I prefer a steak with nothing that detracts from the flavour of the meat itself, I once had an amazing steak at a little family run place in rural Portugal, just outside the city walls of Obidos. It was about a 20oz cut of what seemed to be an oddly cut piece of tenderloin, done rare/medium-rare, covered first with a demiglace and then a green peppercorn sauce. It was so good I nearly wept. It filled a plate, and came with a full second plate for frites and vegetables. An astonishing value for 18 Euros.

Beer or wine is good paired to a steak. By way of beer, something rich but not too overpowering; an Innis & Gunn perhaps, a traditional English Brown ale or a Belgian Lambic. For wine, a good hearty red like the Spanish Solanes or an Argentinian Malbec (Altos is my current fave).

This whole thread is making me hungry too...

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Copper what a story, it sounded wonderful!
Doh, I will have to check out Kane's, never heard of it!
Nikki

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can't beat a good cut of Angus Rib-Eye, med-rare is my preference.

I'd love to try some Kobe Beef to see if it's as good as they really say it is. Has anyone here tried any? :rolleyes:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
bolthead said:
I'd love to try some Kobe Beef to see if it's as good as they really say it is. Has anyone here tried any? :rolleyes:
I used to visit Japan regularly in the 80's for business and was served Kobe beef at least a dozen times; It ain't all that. [huh] Top flight, to be sure, but seriously overpriced from an American vantage point. The U.S. is the sweet spot when discussing beef, globally.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Sylvester D said:
Got me thinking...

What beers or wines do you enjoy with steak?

I like a Sam Adams lager or an India Pale Ale

I'm not real picky about the type of steak as long as it's tasty and cooked well. "Well" in this case meaning cooked with skill. I like them medium rare. I like my beers dark, Black Butte Porter being my favorite.

oldmansit

New in Town
If you are in the ATL drop by Bones. I love the 22oz Bone in Rib-eye.
I prefer mine between medium rare and medium. Some steamed asparagus on the side and Bass Ale to wash it all down. Bring on the mile high ice cream pie or creme brulee and a cordial of Baileys on the rocks.

I bought a dry aged, bone in, rib eye at whole foods. The size of this thing is what publix calls a standing rib roast. Mine had one bone though. A li'l kosher salt, some fresh cracked pepper and onto the grill over lump charcoal. I thought it never would get done. It took 20 minutes a side just for medium rare. But the results was meat heaven! Nice crust on the outside, tender, red, warm center with juices flowing onto the plate. It was worth every penny!

Found a nice meat market near Emory called Shields. They buy a whole side of beef and dry age themselves. They even have sawdust on the floor of the cooler. Have not purveyed them yet but will soon. Not many butchers left in ATL.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
oldmansit said:
If you are in the ATL drop by Bones. I love the 22oz Bone in Rib-eye.
I prefer mine between medium rare and medium. Some steamed asparagus on the side and Bass Ale to wash it all down. Bring on the mile high ice cream pie or creme brulee and a cordial of Baileys on the rocks.

I bought a dry aged, bone in, rib eye at whole foods. The size of this thing is what publix calls a standing rib roast. Mine had one bone though. A li'l kosher salt, some fresh cracked pepper and onto the grill over lump charcoal. I thought it never would get done. It took 20 minutes a side just for medium rare. But the results was meat heaven! Nice crust on the outside, tender, red, warm center with juices flowing onto the plate. It was worth every penny!

Found a nice meat market near Emory called Shields. They buy a whole side of beef and dry age themselves. They even have sawdust on the floor of the cooler. Have not purveyed them yet but will soon. Not many butchers left in ATL.

I was in Atlanta last weekend and ate at a chophouse called Taurus. It was excellent (22oz ribeye, medium rare), but the restaurant was nearly completely empty. I don't know if it's the economy down there, or the snow/cold last weekend, but something kept everybody home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy