Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Uniforms

There were many Irish on oth sides in the ACW. The 69th New York being one famous, very Irish and very Roman Catholic regiment on the Union side. The 10th Tennessee of the CSA is an interesting one, bearing in mind the tribal factions fomenting in the Ireland they left behind, that were to really take effect in the revolutionary period a generation later: the men of the tenth were, broadly speaking, Irish Catholics, while the officer class Protestant.... and elected by the men. Of course, it really only was into the beginning of the twentieth century that these religious labels started to be noticeably attached to one side or the other, many nineteenth century Irish rebels / freedom fighters (delete according to personal politics.... ;) ) being protestant in point of fact (see the United Irishmen and their rising of 1798, Wolfe Tone et al)

The Fighting 69th (Union)

[video=youtube;eWvdf_51Iq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWvdf_51Iq0[/video]

Kelly's Irish Brigade (Confederate)

[video=youtube;W0Yr3BsEw6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Yr3BsEw6A[/video]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Garibaldi Guard, 39th Infantry Regiment:

ILNv39p111.jpg
garibaldizouaves.jpg

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
In the first picture the soldiers of the Garibaldi guards actually look somehow stylistically italian; particularly the officer (with saber) looks almost like a Bersaglieri officer; maybe it's casual, but I'd be curious to know what they are sporting on their hats!

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
In the first picture the soldiers of the Garibaldi guards actually look somehow stylistically italian; particularly the officer (with saber) looks almost like a Bersaglieri officer; maybe it's casual, but I'd be curious to know what they are sporting on their hats!

They are styled off of the Italian Bersaglieri. They were an Italian/American unit. The rooster tail feathers in their hats are the same as those worn by the Bersaglieri.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Right about the feathers (and overall uniform), Scotty. Let's not forget, though, that the regiment also included companies of Spaniards/Portuguese, Frenchmen, Hungarians, Germans, and Swiss. Here, for example, is Lt. Col. Charles Schwartz:

sharpshooter-Garibaldi-Guard_op_551x600.jpg

And here's a photo of an Italian company re-enactment group:

GGMonument06_713x600.jpg

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
Here are a few of my all time favorite uniforms, in completely random order.

WW2 Hungarian
elozetes_26.jpg

WW1 Scottish Highlander
kiltww1BasilRathbone.jpg
< Basil Rathbone
26thHighlandInfantryBrigade9thScott.jpg

1740-50's Royal Ecossais, Scottish Jacobite exiles serving in the French Army.
Royalscot1.jpg

Ecossois0001.jpg

Romanian WW2 with Dutch helmet (I think I just love the funky helmet.)
Dutch.jpg

1740-50 Dillon's Regiment, Irish Jacobites serving in the French Army
dillon1.jpg

WW2 Italian Bersaglieri.
africa5-1.jpg

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Of Spanish Civil War uniforms I've always liked that of the Guardia de Asalto (Assault Guards or "Asaltos") the urban riot police formed by the Spanish Republic. Though among the paramilitary forces, the Asaltos are largely identified with the Republicans and the Guardia Civil associated with the Nationalists, in truth Asaltos and Guardia Civil fought on both sides. Though the numbers of pro-Republican Guardia Civil and Asaltos with Nationalist sympathies were small.

I definitely agree with you about the Guardia de Asaltos. Both their service dress and riot duty uniforms were awesome in that "1930s cops don't mess around" sort of way!

I've read a number of places that the loyalties of the para-military forces (aka, the police) tended to lean whichever way was safest, especially early in the war. In Barcelona, for example, when it became clear that the local military commander didn't have the manpower to take control of the city for long, the Guardia and Asaltos threw open the doors to the police arsenal and armed the trade union militias. The army garrison was then promptly overrun ...

A very young Asalto per-Civil War in his dress uniform:
5134263guardiadeasalto.jpg

Asaltos in combat gear:
guardiaAsalt2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I definitely agree with you about the Guardia de Asaltos. Both their service dress and riot duty uniforms were awesome in that "1930s cops don't mess around" sort of way!

I've read a number of places that the loyalties of the para-military forces (aka, the police) tended to lean whichever way was safest, especially early in the war. In Barcelona, for example, when it became clear that the local military commander didn't have the manpower to take control of the city for long, the Guardia and Asaltos threw open the doors to the police arsenal and armed the trade union militias. The army garrison was then promptly overrun ...

A very young Asalto per-Civil War in his dress uniform:
5134263guardiadeasalto.jpg

And for those Loungers who don't read Spanish, the inscription reads, "To my dear parents, with all my affection. Pablo." The photo was taken in Barcelona, but the date is hard to make out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner