Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Horror Flick?

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
While we're on the subject, here is a face casting I have, taken from the face of a VERY recognizable favourite actor of mine, when he was still alive:)

Vincent-Price-1.jpg

This copy is cast in ultracal, and the level of detail suggests that it isn't very many generations from the original.

Vincent-Price-2.jpg

You KNOW who this is, of course:)

Vincent-Price.jpg

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
My Mom was very funny about him, lol. It's kind of hard to describe. She outwardly responded with some sort of, "oh, he's silly" kind of attitude, but in the tone of her voice I could tell she adored him, too.

He was a handsome devil, to be sure.

Elaina

One Too Many
Don't know, my affection for the man stems from my dad terrifying me as a 5 year old and leaving me in his company for a good 2 hours. Afterwards, I always said I wanted to marry him, and would have had he of lived for me to be 21 and able to chase him legally.:eek:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
New:
28 Days Later
Land of the Dead

Older:
Night of the Living Dead YEAH!
Day of the Dead
Exorcist
Servants of the Twilight
The First Power

Thats all I have for now.

LD

lindylady

A-List Customer
Diary of a Madman. It's not as scary as the stuff made today, but Vincent Price's demeanor and voice makes it chilling. In fact, any horror movie with him in it is one that I'm bound to watch.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
"Frankenstein" (1931) starring KARLOFF THE UNCANNY! Although it never frightened me-even as a child I found the monster to be sympathetic-this is my favorite. The depth and range of emotions that Karloff is able to convey even while underneath so much makeup is amazing (the makeup itself is the work of the brilliant Jack Pierce). Actually let me slightly revise this--there are moments of real menace in Karloff's performance. It's the overall humanity of his monster that makes you forget that afterwards.

If I could pick a few more I'd also say the original Dracula with Bela Lugosi. The finest Count on film. Also with Karloff; The Old Dark House (1932), The Black Cat (1934) co-stars Bela Lugosi. The Mummy (1932). The 1930s was the golden era of the Horror film in my opinion. Atmosphere and style to spare. Who needs gore when you've got imagination!

lindylady

A-List Customer
Elaina said:
Don't know, my affection for the man stems from my dad terrifying me as a 5 year old and leaving me in his company for a good 2 hours. Afterwards, I always said I wanted to marry him, and would have had he of lived for me to be 21 and able to chase him legally.:eek:

You and me both, Elaina! I think it's all in the way he raises that eyebrow lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
CharlieH. said:
Runner up - Tod Browning's Freaks.

That's tops on my list -- that scene where the freaks are on the attack in the rainstorm will haunt your nightmares forever. Brrrrr.

Another one that rattled me when I first saw it was "The Mystery Of The Wax Museum" -- it's pure hokum, but it's played so earnestly and Lionel Atwill is so utterly maniacal that it really works. Plus the scenes of the melting wax figures in the fire are truly gruesome, with the salmon-and-turquoise Technicolor making them that much more grotesque.

As for modern films, I made the mistake of walking into the room once when my brother was watching the Jeff Goldblum remake of "The Fly," just in time to see the final transformation scene. Utterly revolting in a "can't look-but can't look away" kind of way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24