Favourite instrument??

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by moustache, Jan 12, 2007.

Favourite instrument??

1. Violin/viola,cello,etc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. piano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. guitar-electric /acoustic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. brass-(trumpet/trombone,etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. flute

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. clarinet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. percussion(drums,etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. voice-(singing)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LadyStardust

LadyStardust Practically Family

Well seeing as I play it, it's only natural I choose piano. But I also adore the violin, it can evoke such emotion and such a variety of them!

2. K.D. Lightner

K.D. Lightner Call Me a Cab

I love most all instruments, but my favorite would have to be the violin, especially a Stradivarius.

karol

3. DOUGLAS

DOUGLAS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Definitely the drums. This past four months has been the first time in over a decade that I have not been in a band. Not fun at all.

4. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

I like them all, I really do, but if I have to chose, piano is fine whith me.
    Now, when it comes to human voice, well, that's a whole different story...:D

5. Daisy Buchanan

Daisy Buchanan My Mail is Forwarded Here

I really enjoy the sound of the violin. I can't describe how it makes me feel, but it stirs some emotion in me. I love going to the Symphony, and always try to get a table that is close to the first and second chair violin. I not only enjoy hearing it, but I like watching it being played. I don't know why, it's somewhat fascinating to me that a person can play one.

6. GOK

GOK One Too Many

Another violin vote - sometimes I just get all goosebumpy when listening. Shostakovitch's Romance (from the Gadfly) does that to me. I'm not sure if it's the pitch or cadence or what it is but as Daisy said, some pieces of violin music evoke such emotional responses. I have quite literally, been moved to tears on occasion.

If I could have voted 'other' too, it would have been for uilleann pipes. Again, like the violin, it seems they have the capacity to penetrate my soul. Davy Spillane's May Morning Dew is one of the most beautiful and haunting songs I have ever listened to.

7. moustache

moustache Practically Family

The violin has been called the unstrument closest to the human voice.Maybe thats why it stirs such emotion.
    "Shostakovitch's Romance (from the Gadfly)"says GOK.Certainly does,i agree.I have the same feelings for Barber's Violin concerto as well as many other pieces.
    When i met Itzak Perlman a few years back,i wanted so bad to ask him a few more questions than the alloted i had.That was going to be my favourite:What is YOUR favourite piece?
    But,alas,i didn't have time. But Yo-Yo Ma told me that the Bach Cello Suites were his most loved.And Peter Serkin loves Chopin.

To each his own.

JD

8. Jack Scorpion

Jack Scorpion One Too Many

Just gotta dig the piano jazz. Unless Miles Davis or likewise is hitting the wind note, the dummm of a piano key beats any other sound for me.

9. Katt in Hat

Katt in Hat A-List Customer

Ensembles performing Bach require

the harpsichord.

But check out the (6)Partitas.

The fortepiano is swell too.

The piano just doesn't cut it for me, Man.

10. Emmababy

Emmababy One of the Regulars

I also love the wurlitzer, i'm not sure why.

11. CharlieH.

CharlieH. One Too Many

As in carousel organ?

12. blacklagoon

blacklagoon One of the Regulars

acouple of instruments

I play an electric bass guitar usually,and i really like it.another instrument i would like to play,is the flute.some of the sounds are wonderful,especially when the flute is used to make sounds that represent the wind,or something spooky about witches.:)

13. The Lonely Navigator

The Lonely Navigator Practically Family

I tend to like to hear harmonicas and 'squeeze boxes'. At events the German reenactors will play them, and they have a 'warm' sort of feeling to me.

Prien

14. olive bleu

olive bleu One Too Many

clarinet.no hesitation.

15. Haversack

Haversack One Too Many

Well, the pipe organ has its charms, but what I pretty much always enjoy heaing is a Loud Band, i.e. sackbuts and sakers and shawms, oh my!

Haversack.

16. lefty12

lefty12 Familiar Face

Depends on the genre of music I'm playing.