Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Scents

Shearer

Practically Family
LadyStardust said:
Alright, all you lovers of BPAL and oil-based perfumes, listen up! I recently ordered from a sort of alternate/rival to BPAl, and FELL IN LOVE. It's called Arcana, and their scents are absolutely to die for. They sell both soap and oils, at this site here:
http://www.magicalomaha.com/arcanagothicsoap.htm

I ordered Vampire's Garden, Skipping Vespers, and Sweet Milk oils, and the Avalon soap(which comes in a HUGE slice). All the scents are absolutely true to the descriptions, kinda put me in a swooning stupor every time I took a sniff. lol I just wanted to give a heads up to the ladies here, this company is definitely worth investing in!:)

You are such a bad scent influence on me! :D All those scent combinations sound good to me... even the ones I wouldn't normally wear.

So as long as this thread is up, I'd recommend Luckyscent again. I'm so glad beaucaillou turned me on to that. I ordered 6 scents and didn't like 5 of them lol BUT, I found one that was nearly identical to an amber based ritual oil I'd been hoarding for years. I bought it from a Stregherian practitioner who sold his shop and I'd given up hope of ever getting the scent again - but I lucked out!

It's so worth it to just pick out a few samples (they last for a long time) and have fun trying things out.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I am a big Anna Sui fan and used Dolly Girl for a few years. There was also a limited edition version in a blue bottle which had a fresh scent but I don't think it's around now. I love the bottle design! However after using this for a while I wanted a change so bought the new fragrance by Ghost called Anticipation at the weekend and it's gorgeous! It's quite different to what I normally like (fruity as opposed to fresh) but lovely.

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Sephora just sent me a sample of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, it is great, such a light fragrance. I probably will order it. Bath & Body Works is also coming out with some new fragrances that I hear are really nice.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
LadyStardust said:
Alright, all you lovers of BPAL and oil-based perfumes, listen up! I recently ordered from a sort of alternate/rival to BPAl, and FELL IN LOVE. It's called Arcana, and their scents are absolutely to die for. They sell both soap and oils, at this site here:
http://www.magicalomaha.com/arcanagothicsoap.htm

I ordered Vampire's Garden, Skipping Vespers, and Sweet Milk oils, and the Avalon soap(which comes in a HUGE slice). All the scents are absolutely true to the descriptions, kinda put me in a swooning stupor every time I took a sniff. lol I just wanted to give a heads up to the ladies here, this company is definitely worth investing in!:)

Hahaha, I've actually been there; not too far from where I live. Handmade soaps are wonderful! Maybe I'll go back and see what's new.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I wear Chance Chanel, but I think its a bit too much for the day. I want to find a delicious rose perfume, something not old lady smelling. I love rose everything! Have any suggestions?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
There are a lot of beautiful rose scents, but most of them are either too much for day, or too "old lady" for most. I mean Chanel No.5 is a rose (and jasmin) scent, but it is a bit much.

I especially love YSL Paris, an amber rose scent, but that I use mostly for night. Also, in a similar vein, but from 1949 "Or et Noir" by Caron, beautiful, but hard to get unless you happen to be in Paris.

Also, if you have lots of money to spend, here's an article about the niche rose scents:

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/2006/01/from_white_to_r.html

If a trip to Barney's is in your budget, maybe check out Les Parfums de Rosine perhaps "Rose d'?ât?©" would be for you. They have lots and lots of nice rose scents are Barneys, but they are expensive. I got Frederick Malle's Lipstick Rose last time I was there (a great scent btw), but that is in the "too much for day" category.

I would suggest checking out Bvlgari "Rose Essentielle" at your local Macys/Nordstrom type department store. It is light enough for day, but has a lovely rose scent to it. It might just be your perfect rose scent.

Mildred

New in Town
perfume

I have been wearing L'Air du Temps fo 20 years or more. My mother also wore it. I love the smell! For special occasions I wear either Joy or Bellodgia by Caron. I also like the smell of Johnson and Johnson Baby powder.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
Tourbillion said:
There are a lot of beautiful rose scents, but most of them are either too much for day, or too "old lady" for most. I mean Chanel No.5 is a rose (and jasmin) scent, but it is a bit much.

I especially love YSL Paris, an amber rose scent, but that I use mostly for night. Also, in a similar vein, but from 1949 "Or et Noir" by Caron, beautiful, but hard to get unless you happen to be in Paris.

Also, if you have lots of money to spend, here's an article about the niche rose scents:

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/2006/01/from_white_to_r.html

If a trip to Barney's is in your budget, maybe check out Les Parfums de Rosine perhaps "Rose d'?ât?©" would be for you. They have lots and lots of nice rose scents are Barneys, but they are expensive. I got Frederick Malle's Lipstick Rose last time I was there (a great scent btw), but that is in the "too much for day" category.

I would suggest checking out Bvlgari "Rose Essentielle" at your local Macys/Nordstrom type department store. It is light enough for day, but has a lovely rose scent to it. It might just be your perfect rose scent.
Ooh thanks for all the help! Tracking all these scents and figuring out what I like will keep me busy for quite awhile. Thanks for your expert advice Tourbillion.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Summer fragrances?

I'm looking for suggestions for summer perfume. I tend to like floral and citrus scents.

I went to Sephora the other day and got samples of Angelique Lilas by Guerlain and Summer by Kenzo, both of which I liked in the store but didn't smell nice on me. :(

Any ideas?

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hi Polka Dot:)
I just got Benefit's Maybe Baby, a few days ago, it's very nice and light, and just screams spring/summer to me, it's got notes of white peach which are really refreshing, it may work out for you if you haven't tried it already:)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Lesvinyl said:
Ooh thanks for all the help! Tracking all these scents and figuring out what I like will keep me busy for quite awhile. Thanks for your expert advice Tourbillion.

You're welcome.

But don't run all over town (some of the ones on the blog are really difficult to find), just go to somewhere like Macy's and check out the Bvlgari Rose Essentielle. You can try out the YSL Paris and maybe Stella McCartney's Rose scent (forgot the exact name, but Rose is in it) while you're there.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
polka dot- prescriptives 'Calyx' is an all-time great favorite of mine. it simply smells like "Full Bloom." citrus and tropical and floral and amazing. my body chemistry has changed so that it doesn't smell as i wish i did on me, but i still love (and slightly envy) to smell it on others who can pull it off. also, Lancome 'Aroma Tonic,' is the very epitome of deliciousness and freshness. it's intoxicating. like ripest summer fruits, and skin.

today i did my semi-regular round with the Bulgari's. every scent Bulgari makes suits me and compliments me, but i can never decide on one and it's maddening. i love their scents so, but the differences between them are so subtle that deciding on one seems foolish. i wonder of Creed scents are the same way??

while at the perfume counter i picked up Hermes' 'Eau Merveilles', which smells solidly like my last (and first) trip to Paris. so that was brilliant. i love that scent. i think it smells like stars.

i also picked up the Arpege black bottle which my Mother wore for a short time and which suited her, and today, that made me miss her all the more.

these days i'm still weaing: L'Artisan's 'tuberose', Ebba's Miss Marisa, and Stella (Stella McCartney).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is rare for me...

I'm not one for wandering into the Ladies' Room, but just had to flag this little bottle of magic up to you!

Recently, I just had to ask this lady 'what perfume are you wearing?' (because her scent was almost edible, in a very classy five michelin stars sort of way)

Her reply, "Chanel 'Madamoiselle' "

It was absolutely gorgeous on her (different scents seem to smell differently on different skins). But if you have the chance and are near the perfume counter, get a sample:)

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
I'm not one for wandering into the Ladies' Room, but just had to flag this little bottle of magic up to you!

Recently, I just had to ask this lady 'what perfume are you wearing?' (because her scent was almost edible, in a very classy five michelin stars sort of way)

Her reply, "Chanel 'Madamoiselle' "

It was absolutely gorgeous on her (different scents seem to smell differently on different skins). But if you have the chance and are near the perfume counter, get a sample:)

Ahhhh, Madamoiselle is a great one. I wear that in cooler weather. I discovered Chanel Chance. It reminds me of Madamoiselle but lighter.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Thank you for the suggestions CanadaDoll and beaucaillou. I'll make a point to smell them the next time I'm at the perfume counter.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
beaucaillou

All of the Creeds seem really different to me. I know what you mean about the Bvlgari's though.

For instance:

Creed
Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie-strong scent of jasmin with sandal, an oriental
Fleur de te Rose Bulgare-light soliflore rose
Fleurs de Bulgarie-musk and rose, rather heavy
Tuberose Indiana-my favorite tuberose a soliflore (sort of) but not light at all
Angelique Encens-created for Marlene Dietrich, incense and flowers with vanilla and animalic notes-very strong but ethereal

The modern Creed scents are totally different too.

Polka Dot:

Try Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile if you can get to Nordstom's. It has a nice citrus (bergamot) and jasmine scent over with Iris. It is really nice. I got samples of the Chanel exclusifs last week, the new cologne is a citrus if you want to shell out the bucks for Chanel (it also involves a trip to their boutique, which is too scary for me).

I like Eclat de Arpege for summer. It is lighter than the original, a bit more floral maybe.

I also wanted to check out Estee Lauder's Azuree summer skin scent. There is also a suntan or body oil with the scent. It is supposed to be light but with coconut and other beach scents. Has anyone tried it and liked it?

Shearer

Practically Family
Lesvinyl said:
I wear Chance Chanel, but I think its a bit too much for the day. I want to find a delicious rose perfume, something not old lady smelling. I love rose everything! Have any suggestions?

Lesvinyl, it may not be perfect for summer (it's pretty rich), but Lulu Guinness makes a delicious rose perfume. It's like a deep red rose scent, without being powdery. I like to wear it on nights out. I think it's just self-titled Lulu Guinness and it comes in a cute black and white vintage-looking bottle.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
That sounds lovely Shearer. I just checked it out, the price isnt bad and the botte is quite adorable. I'll have to find some and sample it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points