Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Scents

perfectredlips

New in Town
I have a few favorites...not in any order but philosophy is more of an everyday/weekend scent

Jo Malone Amber Lavender
Tocca Cleopatra
Philosophy Amazing Grace
Stella
Chanel No. 5

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I *love* the smell of Shalimar.. mostly because it was my grandmother's perfume. I can't wear it though, it's far too heavy a scent for me... but I've made a vow to wear it when I get older.. or become a grandmother.. whichever come last... ha ha!

But for now, My cousin wears Prada... I don't know the exact one, but the smell is sooooooooo beautiful.. somewhat powdery? And slightly earthy. It smells so good on her...but for myself, I've found that Victoria Beckham's new perfume suits me nicely. I like the Coco Mademoiselle, but I dont' feel grown up enough to wear it.. lol ... kind of like how red lipstick never suited me until I was in my 30's...:D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
This reflects my feelings about favorite scents

'For some time now, I've been into cult perfumes, which are fragances with a limited distribution, with a small following as it were. A perfume doesn't have to be vintage to be cult. I'm talking about Serge Lutens, Santa Maria Novella, Etro, Creed, and my present favorite L'Artisan (this one better known)... perfumes before they go mass market, before they hit the duty-free shop ... I like to discover new,wonderful and obscure perfumes... I like the thrill of the chase.'

Am I a snob when it comes to perfumes?.... Yes. I think I am. [huh] :)

fernande

Vendor
Scents by Alexis- for the sophistciated femme fatale

HadleyH said:
'For some time now, I've been into cult perfumes, which are fragances with a limited distribution, with a small following as it were.
Am I a snob when it comes to perfumes?.... Yes. I think I am. [huh] :)

I was always a fan of Creed's Spring Flowers and Silver Mountain Water (even though I think that's supposed to be a male fragrance)

If you wanna go even a little bit more obscure- Try Alexis Karl. She's a sweetheart and custom scented a Victorian Cameo Locket for me. (with solid perfume inside!!! It was amazing! My scent was "Venus in Furs".

I love it that she uses decidedly Vintage/"noir vixen" style names. right up my alley.

here is some info:

alexis1.jpg

Alexis Karl brings an artist's sensibility to the world of scents. A classically trained painter, who received her masters from the New York Academy of Art and studied the fine art of gilding at Palazzo Massimo in Rome, she has marked her presence in the New York art scene with seven-foot tall realistic paintings of nude women, painted from life.

In 2005 she launched Scent by Alexis, a collection of oil-based perfumes. Everything about Scent by Alexis is made by hand, from the mixing of the perfumed oils to the gilding of the bottles. Each piece is meant to be a treasure: perfume as art. The scents are unusual and sensual, a little classical, a little punk, always sexy.

Black Valentine
"All hearts are black," screams the dark figure onstage. Deep, dark caramel and brown sugar blend with notes of tuberose. The scent envelops the scene. The dance starts.

Courtesan
The violet notes flirt seductively with green tea and florals. This is a fragrance with the subtle desires and dangerous promises of an 18th-century powdered woman. Think beauty mark, pastel silks, satins, brocades, coquettish smiles, petit fours.

Duchess
Regal hints of pear and sinful chocolate play haughtily with elegant linden blossom. This is the privileged scent of aristocratic decadence.

Eve's Revenge
She smiles coyly. Arms full of ripe pomegranates and fresh figs, her hair adorned with freesia, the stems anointed in sweet amber. She's irresistible.

Femme Fatale
Spicy ambers mingle with nutmeg and ylang-ylang; hints of jasmine playfully linger with vanilla, and a m?©lange of secret ingredients. A deadly delectable scent that brings you into 1930s Hollywood.

Goddess
Vanilla notes touch you with a sweet warmth, while jasmine dances with bright citrus. A scent of elegance and pure femininity, turning you into Isis, Aphrodite, Venus, Athena.

Minx
Minx is pure seduction, pure sexuality. Chocolate, merlot, and a blend of fruits come together to create a scent that is sensual and dark, like a great Cognac by a fire...

Venus in Furs
Spicy amber, freesia, vanilla, and florals blend to create a scent that travels between elegance and the danger of a dark, nocturnal city. This is your secret password.

Vixen
The trail of your scent -- rich Ethiopian coffee, dry red currant, juicy berries -- entices his memory. “Why you little Vixen,” he utters under his breath. You smile and walk away.

White Sable
Amber, vanilla, and white florals work together to create this soft, warm scent with a hint of spice. Trance-like and seductive, it carries you into a painting by Manet or Fragonard.

alexis2.jpg

alexis4.jpg

alexis3.jpg

http://www.scentbyalexis.com/

I love to support a cool female artist with a vision. I'm ordering another perfume for myself as a "Treat" for the holiday season.
I cannot go on enough about the beauty of her hand gilded boxes.
they are gorgeous- they have a patina to them that is so old worldly and romantic.

jenny_dreadful

Familiar Face
Miss_Bri said:
I am quite addicted to the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab line of essential oil perfumes. Most regular perfumes are too "alcohol-y" for me and make my eyes water. Because BPAL's perfumes are all oil, they don't make my eyes sting. I'm currently wearing "Quincy Morris" from their recent limited line based on the Dracula novel; it's a light, almost floaty leather scent, like a boyfriend's bomber jacket on a brisk fall day.

I'm totally addicted to BPAL. I started wearing it because alcohol perfumes bother my boyfriend. Latest favorites are Samhain, All Souls, and Lyonesse. I wore Smut for months. The leather ones are very nice, too.

As far as traditional perfumes go, I love Shamilar and Prada (the latter is very amber-y). I used to wear Chanel Allure, but it smells too heavy to me now.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
SarahLouise said:
I really like Coco Mademoiselle but I seem to smell it everywhere I go. Also at least two girls at work wear it so I'm reluctant to smell like everyone else!

See I am wearing this again today. For a very long time, the smell reminded me of my vacation in Egypt, because I got it as a christmas pressie from the (now ex) bf's parents just before we went.....

But 5 years later...if just smells nice, and has finally stopped being a memory trigger...thank god.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Yes, Coco is a lovely smell but I literally smell it on at least 6 people a day on the commute to work and also at the office - it really is very popular! I've kind of gone off it since I smell it so much I guess. Diesel's new fragrance Caution reminds me a little of it actually but is too strong for me and gives me a headache.

I bought Hugo Boss 'Deep Red' about a month ago (it's quite a musky scent, very different to what I usually go for but I liked it) but unfortunately it's given me a rash on both my neck and wrists. I've never been allergic to a perfume before! I'm going to try and return it but I'm not sure what Boots policy is on that. My absolute favourite perfume at the moment though has to be Marc Jacobs Daisy. It's so fresh and light, very yummy.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I've been wearing Christian Dior Pure Poison as a daytime perfume lately. It used to seem too heavy for during the day, but now seems just right - quite sweet but not heavy and cloying. I suppose it might be the change in weather. It's unseasonably cool and rainy for summer this year. [huh]

VintagePie

New in Town
Mmmmm Smells Like Heaven!

I stay true to the classics...love exotic scents...my favorites include Shalimar...love its vanilla tones...Fendi has a lovely gingery scent...Opium is simply luscious and exotic. I love the Annick Goutal line and some Jo Malone scents, as well, but only the really warm, exotic ones. When I am simply too poor to purchase a pricy bottle of scent, I go to WholeFoods Market and buy Kuumba Made perfume oil in Amber & Sandalwood scent...it's really nice and warm. Years ago I wore Eternity and ALWAYS got compliments on it...it is very pretty and romantic smelling.

When she wanted a floral scent, my mother used to wear TeaRose by the Perfumer's Workshop. (I remember Bonwit Teller's perfume department always smelled like TeaRose!)...it is a bit strong, and not to my liking. Shalimar was her favorite scent for most times.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
My dad offers me Chanel n¬?5, I just love it!! I know that it's very strong etc!!! But this is my favourite with L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain!!

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
I'm a Bath & Body Works kinda Gal! I love all of their scents and they are priced reasonably. I especially love Japanese Cherry Blossom,Sweet Pea,Cherry Blossom and Pink Grapefruit.

I've never really been one to go to department stores and spend a lot of money on their perfumes. Although,I have received quite a few as gifts.

I particularly like this one scent made by Avon called Woman of Earth, and I had a terribly hard time trying to find it up until about 6 months ago when I searched for it on Ebay.

I'm also partial to a scent called Secrets,it has a very fresh,clean smell to it perfect for that right out-of-the shower smell.

Another nice one is the Hang Ten perfume. It has a wonderful fruity scent.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I smelt Estee Lauder's new version of their Pure White Linen fragrance the other day, Light Breeze, and absolutely love it. It's so light and fresh. I'm still using Marc Jacobs Daisy which is lovely but it doesn't last at ALL since it's an eau de toilette but Light Breeze is a parfum so it should last longer. I hate eau de toilettes as they last about half an hour on me!

nyx

One of the Regulars
I got the new Sephora catalog and one of the sample scents just jumped right out at me. It's called Vivara by Emilio Pucci. I don't know why I like it so much, but it just smells fresh and clean to me.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
One of my absolute favorite fragrances is Lancome's Poeme. I'm not good at describing the notes of perfume, but it's a heavier scent. I can only wear it in the winter, that's when it smells 'smarvelous. In the summer the heat makes the notes melt together and it just smells cheap, strong and old. (It's a bit heavy for summer anyway.)

Often I mist myself with BBW's Velvet Tuberose. Japanese Cherry Blossom is good, too. It reminds me of an expensive bottle of perfume that my mother wore all the time. It was an anniversary gift from my father. Everytime I spritz on JCB, I think of that bottle of perfume.

If I want to splurge, I invest in L'Interdit by Givenchy.

And never underestimate the classic rose and lily of the valley scent contained in the original Nivea creme! I wish they would bottle it so I could wear it more strongly. The scent fades in about a minute. :( But this is coming from someone who thinks the Pond's cold cream scent is lovely, so go figure.

HeyMambo

New in Town
I've been on a real perfume binge lately, since discovering the decants at The Perfumed Court. Recent obsessions include L'Instant de Guerlin, which smells like honeyed citrus, magnolia and a smidge of musk; Delices de Cartier (it's tough to do cherry scents that don't smell like cough syrup - this one is amazing); Femme de Rochas (described once as smelling like "ripe plums and a woman's skin"); Guerlin Mitsouko, which is a deep chypre scent with a vague, barely there touch of peach, but not the heavy peach smell that dominated so many perfumes in the Nineties; Chanel #19, which is a very warm, womanly, sophisticated iris-based scent. And I recently splurged on a full bottle (which I almost never do) of Joy. So gorgeous it makes me want to twirl around the room.

Some of the niche/cult fragrances I've been liking lately include Comme des Garcons Avignon, which is like stepping into a Greek Orthodox church - a deep incense and definitely an acquired taste, but I love it. Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Hetairae is another fave, used sparingly because...wow. Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Amour de Cacao for a chocolatey, want-to-gnaw-your-arm-off-it's-so-good gourmand scent. Piquet's Bandit and Baghari are also awesome, as is the classic Fracas, if you like full-on white flowers, which I rarely do, but Fracas I like, in moderation.

And those are just the winter scents!
:eek:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
HeyMambo said:
Some of the niche/cult fragrances I've been liking lately include Comme des Garcons Avignon, which is like stepping into a Greek Orthodox church - a deep incense and definitely an acquired taste, but I love it.
This sounds lovely to me! I'm Greek Orthodox and I love the smell of church. One of the wonderful things about Holy Week is that I smell like church all week long from all the extra services. I must try this scent.

HeyMambo

New in Town
Kamikat...

...if that's the case, then you will LOVE it! Comme des Garcons has a whole series of incense-based perfumes, and while I've sampled some of the others (Quarzazate is very nice, as is Zagorsk), but I like Avignon best because it really is an amazing reproduction of what I remember from the Greek church when I was a kid...heavy on the frankincense and just beautiful. You can practically hear the chanting when you take a whiff! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk