Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Scents

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Yes, it's very important to wear the scent and smell it initially, and also on the "dry down". Different notes dominate at different times, and it's not unusual for perfum to smell very different (for good and for ill) once it's mixed with your skin's chemistry.

I'm currently loving Creed's Love in White, but it's rather hard to find (at the discounted sites, no way am I going to pay full price, lol!). And for the record, Creed's "Himalaya" is a *fantastic*, pant-worthy scent for most guys. It's a bit pricey, but search on the discounted sites for at least half off.

www.scentmonkey.com is a good place to start.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I'm a sucker for any kind of violet scent, hence the name. :eek: Can't get enough of violets. So far I have Violetta di Parma by Borsari (gorgeous!), Devon Violets and Violettes de Toulouse by Berdoues.
I've yet to try the more expensive ones like Caron La Violette and the Penhaligon and Annick Goutal ones... I'm waiting for someone to buy them for me :)
Most of the violet soliflower scents that are available today have been made since the turn of the century (1900 that is) so violets are very vintage indeed!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I'm with Violet on the violet scents. Although I was kinda disappointed with the Caron Violette Precieuse, you might want to check out another of my favorites, N'Aimez que Moi. It is a violet mixed with vanilla.

I also like ambers, some of my favorites are Creed's Angelique Encens and Tuberose Indiana.

I mostly wear vintage scents, but among the newer scents, I like Editions Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose (also a rose/violet), Serge Lutens Bois de Violette and Daim Blond.

Today I am wearing Chanel's Cuir de Russie from the Rue Cambon collection. It is hard to find, but is my favorite Chanel.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Fleur De Guerre said:
I like Ghost Deep Night. Also, Christian Dior J'Adore.

I LOVE J'adore, but it's a bit heavy for summer wear. Now that it's cooling off here, I wear it every chance I get.

Ralph Lauren's Blue is nice too. It's light, clean and flowery.

JoyfulGirl

New in Town
My favorite perfume is Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea...my mother used to wear it and now it's linked in my mind with fancy dresses and my mother going out for a night on the town.

For every day wear I splash a bit of Bath and Bodyworks' Sweet Pea on. I like it because no matter what I'm wearing it makes me feel a little more feminine. If this makes any sense, it smells pink to me (of course that could also be attributed to it coming in a pink bottle).

kirawoidan

New in Town
I usually wear Lacoste's Lacoste for women. It's fresh and not too heavy. When I dress up I usually wear Il Bacio by Marcella Borghese. Although it's not a vintage type, I think it has a similar smell to some of the classics without the price tag.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
perf_oils.enlarge.jpg

www.auricblends.com
They sell oils and I LOVE their vanilla musk. I have been wearing it for years, the smell is clean, light and feminine. :)

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey Park
But I had a girlfriend that wore Jean Paul Gaultier and it was... extremely entrancing!

~landgirl~ said:
Well in that case - it's definately worth a smell!

Indeed, I think I'll have to try it myself, there's a couple of gentlemen I wouldn't mind being........
entrancing, as you put it, for;)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Discontinued!

Why does this always happen to me?!? :(

I really loved Clinique's Simply, and they discontinued it! So I am on the look out for something new. I have Benefit Maybe Baby, but it is a little too floral for me, I really prefer something more citrus, I need to go to Sephora and smell around.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Chanel No. 5 smells VERY different once it's on your skin for awhile! On me it just turns into a baby-powder smell, but on my Grandmother it had always smelled heavenly!

Same for me--it smells so cloyingly powdery on me, but lovely on others (actually, the only Chanel fragrance I can wear is their Gardenia.) Shalimar morphs the same way, which is a shame because I love that one. I've heard that Shalimar Light was closer to the original formula and therefore can be worn by those who can't wear Shalimar, but they discontinued this version [huh]

Martini Slayer

New in Town
Oh, I agree with Miss Bella Hell... I always loved the way Chanel No 5 smelled on my grandma... I like it on me too.. But it never smelled the same on me as it did on her.. I guess it works with a persons body chemestry? I have a scientist friend I should like to ask about that, I should make that an opening conversation starter when next he IM's me online.. :)

As for scents that are my weakness... I think I can be a bit "trailer trash" on this one... BUT, I go absolutly weak at the scent of any Wild Musk made by Coty... *swoon*.. I don't know WHAT it is.. I think it has a very "bourbon like" smell to it that .. well.. enough of that.. I'm at work right now and I can't take THAT any ferther.. :p

My Ex-Husband.. Every Christmas would buy me a bottle of some crazy expensive bottle of perfume... Don't get me wrong.. I loved that! I really did... But I do still have almost every bottle he had ever bought me on a shelf in my bathroom... I used them but never emptied a bottle of his..

On the other hand... My Wild Musk I could never keep for very long on my shelf.. ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
As for scents that are my weakness... I think I can be a bit "trailer trash" on this one... BUT, I go absolutly weak at the scent of any Wild Musk made by Coty... *swoon*.. I don't know WHAT it is.. I think it has a very "bourbon like" smell to it that .. well.. enough of that.. I'm at work right now and I can't take THAT any ferther..

I'm the same with with Tabu; a lot of people hate that one as it can smell cheap if over applied, but it smells very nice on me. My Jungle Gardenia costs $10 as well and I've gone through three bottles of it so far; I always get compliments on it too :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I can hardly wear any perfume as they almost all give me headaches! I hate anything musky as that affects me worst of all. I cannot think of any 'classic' scents I like, but for 'vintage' scent I wear Yardley Magnolia, which is ok as long as I don't put too much on.

It just makes me feel old fashioned in the best possible way :)

lindylady

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
Same for me--it smells so cloyingly powdery on me, but lovely on others (actually, the only Chanel fragrance I can wear is their Gardenia.) Shalimar morphs the same way, which is a shame because I love that one. I've heard that Shalimar Light was closer to the original formula and therefore can be worn by those who can't wear Shalimar, but they discontinued this version [huh]

Really :eek: They discontinued Shalimar Light? No! I was going to pick that up next time I hit the fragrance counter. :(

Martini Slayer

New in Town
OH NO!!! They are discontinueing scents too! Do I have to quick rush out and stock up on my Wild Musk now too??

Hmmmm.. I wonder how well it would keep, vacuume packed and frozen?

LOL

Avalon

A-List Customer
Healing Garden Lavendertheraphy. I've worn it for awhile now and I love it. Fresh and clean without that cloying "drawer-liner" aroma other lavenders can cause.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I'm not really big on perfumes, but there are a couple that I like. Ralph by Ralph Lauren...love this stuff! The other one I have no idea of the name - I smelled it at the counter in Saks or Nordstroms a few years ago and it was a soft lemon scent...very fresh and clean. The only scent I wear on a regular basis is a body spray from Gap called Heaven. I fell in love with it in 6th or
7th grade and have loved it ever since!

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I have a dressing table covered in mini bottles at the moment. Gifts with purchase. :rolleyes: I'm another who just can't wear Chanel No. 5. I love Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, though. I also usually find older scents too heavy for me, which is terrible. At the moment I have a mini bottle of Clinique Happy Heart at the moment, which is a really lovely floral scent, although for a floral scent I'd really love to get a bottle of Ralph Lauren Glamorous. So gorgeous.

I also have tiny little bottles of Dior J'Adore and Pure Poison which are a bit too heavy for Australian summer, although J'adore is really lovely.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Some Chanel scents are a bit heavy. Although I have the perfume Allure, I can't wear it often because it gets a bit cloying. I save the stronger fragrances for cold days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21