Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite vintage sewing books?

Anwen

New in Town
I've had a bit of a look, and haven't seen a thread on this, hope it's ok to start one?

Anyway, I have quite a burgeoning collection of sewing books, and thought I'd share one of my absolute favourites, Constance Talbot's Complete Book of Sewing, I got a copy for a few dollars from Abebooks.co.uk (there's also a .com, if anyone doesn't know!) and it is fabulous. It's from the early forties, so includes lots of wonderful period illustrations and info on make-do-and-mend style refashioning (so much more elegant than the Chop Up A Perfectly Serviceable Garment And Make It Hideous version that's in the sewing books now...) and basically it's a great resource, particularly for the vintage enthusiast. There are some pics in this expired ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250239678964

I'd love any more suggestions of books to stalk on abebooks!

mackenzie

Familiar Face
My favorite is also the talbots complete book on sewing, but my second is Sewing for profit by the woman's institute of domestic arts and sciences.Mine has the copyright from 35 but I think is is printed in the forties judging from the dresses in the pics. It is not a sewing book in the way that it teaches you to sew but teaches you to earn money from it. It has got everything from planning your studio, what to charge, how to dress at work and take care of the finances. it is great and most of their suggestions are thinks that makes sense even on todays market.

graverobbergirl

New in Town
I picked up a book at our local (and very awesome) used book store for about $6. Modern Dressmaking Made Easy by Mary Brooks Picken. And I adore it! I could read it for hours and hours, and get sucked in every time I open it.

Its copyright dates are 1938, 1939 and 1940. It covers a variety of fashion topics, from instructions for posture and figuring out your colors, to tips and instructions on using your sewing machine accessories.

I'll have to share some of the great illustrations if I get around to scanning it. They crack me up at times!

I have to admit, it did come in handy when I was figuring out our old sewing machine's various pressure feet. (We have the original instructions pamphlet, but another source was very useful!) I got to try out the ruffler. It was quite fun!

Anwen

New in Town
Ooh, those both sound great! I'm sure most people here will have seen this site (I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the sewing thread, which I have only so far made it to page 11, but I think I've seen it linked) but it's worth linking:

http://vintagesewing.info/

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I have the Talbot book too - it's a great resource. Anwen, I love all the "Make Do & Mend" tips too. :) No one today tells you how to make a new dress out of two old dresses, or how to replace worn-out sleeves or a bodice.

graverobbergirl, I think I have a companion book to the one you have. It has a 1920s copyright date, and is by Mary Brooks Picken. I forget the exact title, but it has to do with textiles. I can see it being *very* handy for identifying all those old fabrics and weaves.

The other book I have is called "Clothing Construction" by Evelyn Mansfield, and is dated 1953. It's a textbook of sewing and pattern techniques, and some of the techniques and ideas given are just fabulous. With photos! Lots of stuff that isn't covered in today's sewing books.

I also have the Talbot book. I used it to make my drapes in my den. I love it.
Another favorite I have is not strictly a sewing book but a 50's school course book on clothing called Dress by Bess V. Oerke.
When I was in High School in the late 80's it was in the school library and I'm sure I was the only one who ever took it out.
About 6 years ago I was thrilled to find it on ebay.It has some sewing instruction but also info on planning a wardrobe and caring for it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another big fan of the Talbot book -- I have the 1943 edition, which I got at a second-hand store when I was about twelve, and it's stood me well thru the years. It's an excellent book when you're learning to sew, and it's even more useful once you've picked up the basics and are ready to try the more advanced tricks.

Another interesting book is a 1949 volume called "How To Design Beautiful Clothes," by Esther Kaplan Pivnick. This isn't so much concerned with everyday sewing as it is with basic dressmaking theory, and it's a world of information on things like pattern drafting. Very highly recommended.

crwritt

One Too Many
Mine are not quite as old, circa 1969. "How to make clothes that fit and flatter", and "Design your own dress patterns" both by Adele P. Margolis, snagged by by dear late Mother in law at a library sale. I also have some very technical pattern drafting manuals circa 1951, Among them are instructions for drafting women's and children's clothing, and a book on grading.
I have a book called "Patternless Fashions" circa 1971 by Deihl Lewis & May Loh, which is also a pattern drafting book, though most of the simpler clothes are drafted directly on the fabric.
I have two Butterick books, "Making Smart Clothes"circa 1930, and "Art of Dressmaking" from 1927, with lots of illustrations and very detailed instructions.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
sewbook.jpg

I got this little gem off eBay for about $15 this past year. Copywright 1940 Du DuBarry Patterns Co. :)

Its just shy of 80 pages, but has some of the most intricate and well explained illustrations and techniques Ive found! It covers everything to do with fitting women's clothes (not slacks tho). All types of finishes, and stitches.

Here are some of my favorite pages.

sewbook3.jpg

sewbook2.jpg

sewbook1.jpg

LD

graverobbergirl

New in Town
Lady Day already posted some alteration instructions from her nifty book, so I skipped over that section of mine and thought I'd share a page from the "Your Physical Self: Poise, Posture, Charm" section, which is 32 pages long!

Here is a little instruction on how to use your feet/sit (elegantly):

scan0001-1.jpg

scan0002.jpg

And here is a sample from the fantastic "All About Dressmaking: Sewing-Machine Magic, Construction, Decoration, Finishing" section. It is about my newfound favourite toy, the Ruffler:

scan0003.jpg

(scanned from Modern Dressmaking Made Easy by Mary Brooks Picken)

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have The Complete Book Of Sewing and Modern Dressmaking Made easy. I got both from Ebay for approx 3.00 each. I have seen that Short Cuts to Sewing Success book a few times. Thanks for the scans Lady Day. I think that will be my next book.

graverobbergirl

New in Town
I know! I wear jeans and sit cross-legged most of the time, so it takes a lot of concentration on my part to cross my ankles and sit daintily in a skirt or dress.

Maybe if I had more vintage clothes to wear more often, I would learn to have some poise and grace!

Anwen

New in Town
Lady Day said:
I like how the gal with the newspaper, obviously engrossed in its pages, is 'awkward'. :rolleyes:

LD

No wonder she's awkward, none of the ladies on that bench have any clothes on!

:eek:

I love the scanned pages from both the books, and am making note of all the books mentioned! I also have a 1970s edition of the Vogue Sewing book which is far nicer than the modern version, with a similar style of illustration to the older books, and covering details like waist stays etc. My local libraries have just joined a small inter-library loan scheme thingy, so I am requesting all sorts of obscure knitting books etc, and will make sure to check if any of these are available (so far I've found a later edition of the CT book, which may be worth a look just for comparison...) :D

(ps LD, I have just sent you an email, hope you don't mind!)

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
This is not strictly a sewing instruction book, but it is a college textbook, probably for a home ec program, 1947. The book is Fashion Fundamentals, by Bernice Chambers, and if you love 40s fashion, you really need to find a copy. It has all kinds of fabric and clothing definitions, many of which are no longer used.

Lizzie

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
I dunno if its really considered "vintage" but readers digest basic guide to sewing and the Singer sewing book circa 1963 are my favorite. With out them i probably wouldnt have passed my sewing studios in school. *kissing books*

graverobbergirl

New in Town
I am totally going to have to keep my eyes peeled for these books! I've thought about using our local library's Inter Library Loan system, too... Now I think I really need to check it out. I'm still trying to learn my textiles/fabrics names and history...

Lady Day said:
I like how the gal with the newspaper, obviously engrossed in its pages, is 'awkward'. :rolleyes:

LD
The pleasant one is the only one looking up from her book with flirty eyes. It makes me laugh!

Anwen said:
No wonder she's awkward, none of the ladies on that bench have any clothes on!
In the poise section, most of the sketches are naked so you can see how ugly it is when you don't do things right and you get rolls on your stomach because you bent over instead of kneeling daintily, etc. It is quite amusing...

Mme Dariaux

New in Town
This is a subject close to my heart. Sewing and style guides from the first half of the previous century have definite charm and sense in their attitude towards dressing and clothes, which nothing published today even approaches. Among my favourites are Wife Dressing by Anne Fogarty - such bubbling, delightful pleasure about dressing up and enjoying clothes, not to mention the humorous illustrations - and Elegance by Genevieve Dariaux. The earlier editions of Guide to Modern Clothing are adorable in their slightly patronising tone and air of innocence, but the sewing instructions are clear and easy to comprehend. All in all, I think most women today would benefit from following the ideas and budgets outlined in these books, even if they did not take to heart the rules governing the wearing of gloves etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21