Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paddy's recommended reads on vintage flying...

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Paddy, great minds think alike!

I was just about to start a similar thread myself. Fine selection Old chap. A few of my favourites are:-

Lancaster Target-Jack Currie
One of the best and funniest accounts of the Bomber war over Germany. Jack Currie was a Sergeant pilot with 12 Squadron RAF at Wickenby. By the same author-Wings over Georgia, Mosquito Victory and The Augsburg Raid. All worth a look.

Carrier Pilot-Norman Hanson
Beautifully written story of a Fleet Air Arm Corsair pilot flying from HMS Illustrious against the Japanese.

Gunner's Moon-John Bushby
Again like most good books on the subject, occasionally horrifying and often hilarious. Account of a gunner on Manchesters and Lancasters.

A Wing and a Prayer-Harry Crosby
Story of the Group Navigator of the 100th Bomb Group, 8th AAF, at Thorpe Abbots, UK.

Screaming Eagle-Dale O. Smith
Story of the C.O. of the 384th Bomb Group, 8th AAF.

The Day We Bombed Switzerland-Jackson Granholm
Granholm was Lead navigator with the 458thBG, involved in the trial of two AAF Lieutenants accused of accidentally bombing the Swiss city of the title.

Those Who Fall-John Muirhead
Story of a B-17 pilot flying out of Foggia in Italy with the 15th AAF and his subsequent shooting down and capture.

Wings of Morning-Thomas Childers
Touching story of the author's search for the fate of his Uncle, radio operator of the last American Bomber shot down over Germany in WWII.

Nanette-Edwards Park
Classic account of P-39 pilots in the Pacific.

Bring Back my Stringbag-John Kilbracken
Another classic-story of an FAA Swordfish pilot.

Fiction

Bomber-Len Deighton
Beautifully researched story of RAF Bomber Command. By the same author-Goodbye Mickey Mouse-story of AAF Mustang pilots.

Anything by Derek Robinson, especially Piece of Cake, superb tael of RAF fighter pilots in the Battle of Britain.

Under an English Heaven-Robert Radcliffe
Found this in Asda (Wal-Mart in the US). Cover looks like a women's romance but it's actually a very good tale of 8th AAF bomber crews.

I could go on like this for hours-that lot ought to do you for a while. As Paddy rightly says, Abebooks or Amazon and also Bookfinder.com are all good sources for these old titles, a lot of which have been out of print for a while.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
USAAF Reads

Flying to Glory -
Excellent book on the B-17 in all theatres of WWII.

Memphis Belle - by Menno Duereksen
AMAZING book

The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle - by the late Col. Robert Morgan

Half a Wing, Three Engines, and a Prayer - O'Neill
Detailed read on the USAAF 8th Air Force's bombing campaign and the men who flew the forts.

Flying Fortress - by Edward Jablonski
Another great B-17 chronicle

RAF Reads -

Duel of Eagles - Peter Townsend "The greatest book ever written about the Battle of Britain"

Eagle Day - Richard Collier
Another amazing chronicle of the finest hour

Fighter Boys - Patrick Bishop
An intimate look at the lives of the fighter pilots and their day to day experiences in the Battle of Britain - GREAT READ

The Hardest Day -
A detailed chronicle of August 18, 1940 over Britain

The Eagle Squadrons & Eagles of the RAF - Two great histories of the American RAF volunteers.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looks like I have a lot more reading to do..!

Some cracking recommendations there guys! and you have reminded me of ones I had long forgotten about which I read many moons ago, so cheers for jogging the ol' memory :)

I, and I'm sure many other members glancing at the lists, will have fun chasing down a few of these titles like a Hurrie or P-51 on the tail of a 109..., to while away the long winter evenings

:)....accompanied by a finely rolled Cohibo transporting you back to the wind swept beaches of Cuba, and a tawny Port warming in the palm of your hand. May the devil not realise you are dead my friends, until you get into heaven (a corruption of an olde Irish farewell).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24