Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feather Dusters

Heather

Practically Family
I was watching I Love Lucy earlier and she was dusting with a feather duster. It made me wonder if anyone still used these. I have a swiffer but it doesn't do that great of a job picking the dust up, imo. Especially over my mantel which gets really dusty when during woodstove season. I've read that ostrich feathers are great at attracting dust so I'm thinking about picking one up the next time I'm at the grocery store.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I love them , but be careful not to go over non-stationary items, well, at least if your as accident prone as me, I end up breaking stuff, but for furniture or heavy items, or keyboards they're great!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I also use a feather duster! They are so practical when you have to do a quick cleaning of the house... without too much fuss ;)

(not that i clean too much anyway! :p )
2735029295_e2934b8eb9.jpg

Heather

Practically Family
I might have to order that one Josephine! I went to 4 places today and couldn't find one. :eusa_doh: I swear I've seen them before but of course, now that I want one they are scarce! [huh]

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I feel like feather dusters just put the dust back into the air instead of really trapping it. Much better just to use a damp cloth.

jayem

A-List Customer
I have one. Works wonders, plus I got it from the dollar store. I like them heaps better than Swiffers, though to be honest nothing works as good as Murphey's Oil Soap and hot water.

Cricket

Practically Family
I still use one, especially when I am in a hurry. But I agree that they tend to kick the dust in the air more. I end up sneezing all over what I just dusted. A damp cloth is better. But yes, I still use a feather duster.

In fact, all the new Swiffer things and other gadgets, can't be found in my house. I don't think I own one of those.

Looking back on my childhood, I would stick an old feather duster in my hair, usually inside a bun. I would pretend I was a performer and it was my Vegas style headpiece. Those dusters can be used for a lot more than just dusting.

Foofoogal

Banned
I mean in the south all the commercials for Pine Sol call it the southern cleaning secret. I just wondered if it is called the Northern cleaning secret in the North? lol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cricket said:
Looking back on my childhood, I would stick an old feather duster in my hair, usually inside a bun. I would pretend I was a performer and it was my Vegas style headpiece. Those dusters can be used for a lot more than just dusting.

Picture please...

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
My wife has her own cleaning business - she uses feather dusters so much that she buys them 12 at a time. Just wood handled, with real ostrich feathers. They are getting hard to find locally.
She dislikes the Swiffer products, she says they just push dirt into cracks rather than actually moving it. [her words - I have no idea - so please don't shoot me if you use a Swiffer something :eek: ]

Cricket

Practically Family
Miss 1929,
Trust me, if I could find one, it would be on here. I have always had a thing for dressing up I guess. Perhaps if I add an adult twist to it, I might can pull something off for the "Show us what you made" thread. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto