Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

febreeze sport rocks

jksu

Familiar Face
so I got a pretty brown schott brown jacket with wool liner off eBay a few months ago. cow leather was in great shape - very soft and supple with nice distressed look - not sure if factory or wear. liner and pockets in great shape as well.

only problem was the armpit body odor! it was so bad I could smell it while wearing it - my wife says she didn't notice but it bothered me immensely.

first i tried hanging outside for a few days - the wool portion smelled much better (love wool to not keep odors) but the nylon portion which the sleeves are lined with) still stunk bad.

next I washed the pit areas with gentle scrubbing with a cotton towel mix of baby shampoo and diluted baking soda/water mix. after letting it dry it seemed improved - definitely from when I first got it. but still that potent smell in that small pit area if I put my nose to it.

now I was getting frustrated. i didn't want to ruin it and had heard dry cleaning had mixed results for odors.

I next plastered a thicker baking soda/water paste in the arm pits and left for 2 days. other than more baking soda smell overlying the b.o. not much improvement.

desperate I sprayed some vinegar/water over it. this helped at first but after completely drying I could still smell it. overall 75% improved. unless I really stuck my nose on there it was ok. no more smell when just wearing it so was ready to accept it.

when I was at the grocery store (to buy another box of baking soda to replace the one I had used, I saw the febreeze. of course I had heard about febreeze but not one to want to put chemicals and perfumes all over my clothes I had kind of avoided it. had hoped airing out, baking soda and vinegar would do it.

well febreeze sport definitely works! of course I could just be smelling the light fragrance but it sure beats b.o. plan to try it out on some of my running/cycling gear!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner