Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

February / March Jacket Orders - What are you expecting?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't think breaking in a new FQHH ever was a grueling process. The issue is whether or not one wants a jacket that heavy or a lighter weight one such as goatskin.

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I have two Aero builds coming in through Thurston. First is a Premier Range 1920's Work Coat in Dark Seal Vicenza with light tan contrast stitching (should be here within a week...fingers crossed!).
Second is a Maxwell in brown FQHH with olive drab stitching.....hoping to get a notification shortly as well that this one is complete.
Very anxious to compare the two...these will be my first "new" Aero's (the bug has bit me quite hard since stumbling on Aero about 3 months ago).
Currently breaking in a beautiful black FQHH Board Racer I purchased from pawineguy.....and I'm surprised that its not nearly the grueling process many describe.
Hoping to see a lot of new photos from members here over the next month or so.
The work coat was my original choice. Id be going nuts with purchases as well but we just had a baby. The sunburst i have is perfect. As long as the maxwell is satisfactory, i should be good. Looking forward to seeing how your orders look. They sound awesome.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Not quite what this thread is about, but perhaps of interest too...

This wasn't a special order or build, but I did buy a new leather jacket this month. A Schott 654, which is essentially a simplified streetwear version of a café racer. It's made of lighter weight cowhide, has no side buckles or bi-swing back, no removable liner, and the sleeve zips are just cosmetic, they don't affect the sleeve seal. I'm not a rider, but decided that I wanted to a café racer style jacket to have something a bit different from my military leathers... I am hitting the big six-oh at the end of the month(!) and decided to get myself a nice gift!

Schott654cowhide.jpg

With my sizing issues, I needed a 2XL for the gut... then had to have a tailor take three inches off the sleeves. But it was worth it, I really like this jacket. And I got it for a real bargain: compared to its $615 list price at Schott's site or NYC store (which would have included hefty NY sales tax for me either way), I got it from LegendaryUSA for $450 - with no tax and free shipping... and amazingly, it arrived in just 24 hours in the middle of a snowstorm!

Not a custom job, but a damn nice jacket. (Of course, this obsession being what it is, I am now beginning to realize that I will eventually have to get a proper café racer made to my custom size by Aero/Thurston/Alexander/whoever!)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
$40 - so I still came out way ahead of the list price.

The tailor I found (I'm in a new neighborhood) claimed that she had altered lots of motorcycle jackets... Because this is a simplified sleeve - no inner leather loop between the zip teeth - it wasn't as difficult as usual, though she still used the easier method of just shortening the zips (from roughly 6 inches to 3) rather than completely tearing the sleeves apart and insetting the zips higher. And I didn't notice until I got home that she had put in the new hems through the outside of the sleeve with tiny, barely visible stitches. The sleeves should really only be internally hemmed... but it's effectively invisible, so I don't mind. But I do question her alleged expertise with moto jackets!

pawineguy

One Too Many
Not quite what this thread is about, but perhaps of interest too...

This wasn't a special order or build, but I did buy a new leather jacket this month. A Schott 654, which is essentially a simplified streetwear version of a café racer. It's made of lighter weight cowhide, has no side buckles or bi-swing back, no removable liner, and the sleeve zips are just cosmetic, they don't affect the sleeve seal. I'm not a rider, but decided that I wanted to a café racer style jacket to have something a bit different from my military leathers... I am hitting the big six-oh at the end of the month(!) and decided to get myself a nice gift!

View attachment 24422

With my sizing issues, I needed a 2XL for the gut... then had to have a tailor take three inches off the sleeves. But it was worth it, I really like this jacket. And I got it for a real bargain: compared to its $615 list price at Schott's site or NYC store (which would have included hefty NY sales tax for me either way), I got it from LegendaryUSA for $450 - with no tax and free shipping... and amazingly, it arrived in just 24 hours in the middle of a snowstorm!

Not a custom job, but a damn nice jacket. (Of course, this obsession being what it is, I am now beginning to realize that I will eventually have to get a proper café racer made to my custom size by Aero/Thurston/Alexander/whoever!)

Doc, the 654 is a great jacket, especially at that price. I own one in brown and it was my "gateway" jacket into the hardcore stuff. It still gets a good amount of wear and a lot of compliments.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
@theeggcarton, that sounds like a great order. Hopefully you will post some pictures of the work coat as I am seriously considering one. I am also very interested in the comparison you will be able to make between Vincenza and FQHH. I am looking for an alternative as I have tried to break in a few FQHH and have given up.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That's nice to hear, pawineguy... except for the gateway part! Just when I think I'm out - feeling I've got my lust for acquiring flight jackets and field jackets under control - the moto style pulls me back in!

The annoying thing is that I'm not going to be able to wear this jacket until spring. Like much of the US, we're in the midst of an insanely cold and snowy winter here!

avique

One of the Regulars
That's great! What are your initial impressions?

It's definitely a solid/heavy jacket. The sheepskin and goat trim are great quality but the the goat is a bit lifeless/dull in character. The workmanship is also incredible and with the exception of a few wobbles in the seams along the top of the cuffs it's near perfect. Unfortunately it does squeak a bit but time/wear will fix that.

Now I just wish it was cold enough to wear it. Here in the NW we're having the warmest winter in decades so it may stay in the closet until next year.

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
Hi Fanch...I guess the word "grueling" may have been a bit of overkill! Its just that by reading many of these threads without first-hand experience one would assume that you must put up with months and months of uncomfortable wearing and perhaps years before the FQHH becomes truly comfortable. I have had experience with a heavyweight leather jacket (a steerhide one from Fox Creek)....so the weight of the leather was something I was used to (and in fact like). When I first received the "gently worn" FQHH Board Racer from pawninguy it was indeed a bit tight and uncomfortable in the armpit area...and the leather was certainly quite stiff (especially since the temps here have been ranging well below freezing. The armpits and sleeves became much more comfortable within an hour or two....and the stiffness began to yield within a few days (though there is still plenty to go). It will be interesting to see how this compares to the new FQHH jacket I have coming in as well as the vicenza.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Going to be some great new jacket posts coming up.

Last weekend, I picked up a Real McCoy Steinbeck. I will post photos shortly. Meanwhile, I have leather samples inbound from Langlitz, Johnson and Thurston -- looking for a dark brown something. Won't be a March delivery, but perhaps April.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Johnson Leathers is working on a custom 1930s Levi half belt in back over die CXL steer hide. Should be ready in two weeks. I was fitted with a test mock up wool jacket last week.

Looking forward to pics of this jacket along with all mentioned above and below. I have a vintage jacket I would like reproduced. I understand Johnson is quite good at this.

Incoming: BK Dodger from the "black friday" sale. A Buzz Rickson. Always a vintage or two coming, got a nice HH just recently.

Terry

pawineguy

One Too Many
That's nice to hear, pawineguy... except for the gateway part! Just when I think I'm out - feeling I've got my lust for acquiring flight jackets and field jackets under control - the moto style pulls me back in!

The annoying thing is that I'm not going to be able to wear this jacket until spring. Like much of the US, we're in the midst of an insanely cold and snowy winter here!

Sitting in a hotel lobby in NJ that can't get the temp much above 50 degrees inside as my son plays in a chess tourney. Kids are hoping for another snow day on Tuesday. I'm hoping for 60 degrees and for it all to melt so I can take the moto out.

technovox

One Too Many
The annoying thing is that I'm not going to be able to wear this jacket until spring. Like much of the US said:
insanely[/B] cold and snowy winter here!

Completely opposite dilemma here in San Francisco. I just took delivery on an Aero Dustbowl (Dark Seal Vicenza/contrast stitching) and I can't wear it because it's too dang warm out- a balmy 75 degrees today!
Not really complaining though...I'll just wait until summer when it gets really cold here.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Completely opposite dilemma here in San Francisco. I just took delivery on an Aero Dustbowl (Dark Seal Vicenza/contrast stitching) and I can't wear it because it's too dang warm out- a balmy 75 degrees today!
Not really complaining though...I'll just wait until summer when it gets really cold here.

This is a review/pics I'm really looking forward to. I know you're not a fan of fit pics but I'm dying to see how this turned out, jacket and hide pics only would be terrific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran