Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV Carbon vs. Moonstone?

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Does anyone out there own both a Carbon and Moonstone Fed IV? I've been trying to find pictures that compare them side by side so see the differences between the grays but all I've been able to find are separate pics, not side by side. A lot of the time the camera flash alters the colour so it's had to see just how the hats compare in different pictures. Anyone out there got any pictures to help me see the differences?

Thanks.

Goose.

Practically Family
Triple FFF...

How about a Fed IV Moonstone, Bogart Carbon, and Homburg Black?
Definitely a diff between the moonie and the carbon shades.

506703853_hvKid-M-1.jpg

IF that comparison is okay with you, later I can take a pic of the two outside w/o flash...if ya want. But someone else may chime in with the two specific lids you are looking for. So, just let me know...

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I have both. I would like to get something about halfway between the two shades.

FWIW moonstone is very close in tone to Stetson's caribou, although caribou is a little warmer. (Side by side, caribou looks a little maroon or purple -- or, moonstone looks a little cyan or blue.)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Well I've got them all coming now :) I've already got brown. Tawny and black are showing up any day now and carbon and moonstone just got ordered on Sunday night. I'll be sure to post a picture of all 5 versions over on one of the Fed IV threads.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks awest84532 - saw this in the other thread first and knew exactly what you meant when you said "wrong thread" :) Thanks for posting the comparison, it's good to know the carbon isn't as dark as some made it out to me. I'm not 100% sold on the moonstone looking good on me, I guess I'll have to wait until it shows up in three weeks.

awest84532

Familiar Face
Chuck Bobuck said:
Thanks, I appreciate the comparison. If you edit your post in the other thread, there is an option to delete the post.

Chuck, thanks for the training moment, I need all the help I can get!:eek:

Goose.

Practically Family
Well, just so my comparisons moving forward will be more accurate (Fed Vs. Fed), my
Carbon Fed IV should be here next week. Obtaining it to augment the Federation IV Tugboat Fleet for my brothers here that my have questions on shades moving forward. Man, I'm always the giver :)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
awest84532 said:
Chuck, thanks for the training moment, I need all the help I can get!:eek:

I double posted the other night and I accidently figured the delete thing out.
:D
Goose, if you could get one of every Akubra in every color, that would be really helpful. lol j/k...! Actually, I'm really looking forward to the comparison between the two Feds. :) :)

rrog

A-List Customer
Goose. said:
Well, just so my comparisons moving forward will be more accurate (Fed Vs. Fed), my
Carbon Fed IV should be here next week. Obtaining it to augment the Federation IV Tugboat Fleet for my brothers here that my have questions on shades moving forward. Man, I'm always the giver :)

Goose, you're selfless acts of service to mankind goes over and above the call of TFL duty. May I present you with the Silver Cross of Service... lol

rrog

MattStat

New in Town
Gray or light blue?

Goose's pics make the Moonstone look grey, and even a slightly dark shade of grey, but awest84532's make it look like a pale blue! Must be the background in awest84532's pic: all that blue makes for a dramatic contrast.

awest84532

Familiar Face
MattStat said:
Goose's pics make the Moonstone look grey, and even a slightly dark shade of grey, but awest84532's make it look like a pale blue! Must be the background in awest84532's pic: all that blue makes for a dramatic contrast.

I don't think the Moonstone is a dark grey at all. It appears fairly accurate, even with the blue background, to me.

Here it is on the noggin:

DSCF1335-1.jpg

Maybe a very light touch of blue from the background.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Looks like a slight hint of blue Chuck but I'll have to wait a few more weeks before mine shows up and I can see for myself. Like Goose I'll have 5 different shades of Fed IVs then so I'll be sure to post a side-by-side of them all.

BTW Chuck as a DBA, I really laughed at your tag line :p Yup, only 10 types.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
The amazing thing about that moonstone grey is how the color changes with the lighting.
Right now in my dim lit room with artificial lighting I would describe my moonstone Fed as steel grey. It looks a lot lighter in the sunlight and I think the true character of that color is very hard to capture in a photo.

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
...Goose, if you could get one of every Akubra in every color, that would be really helpful. lol j/k...! Actually, I'm really looking forward to the comparison between the two Feds. :) :)
rrog said:
Goose, you're selfless acts of service to mankind goes over and above the call of TFL duty. May I present you with the Silver Cross of Service... lol
rrog
My role is simply to be that of an enabler to boost the economy, trade relations with our friends in Australia, and get other potential Akubra junkies hooked. I humbly would like to donate the Silver Cross of Service to the broader membership of this Forum that have posted pictures of their Federations, provided advice, support, and tips. Without them, I'd be eating more food, buying more aloha shirts, getting my bike tuned up, or other spending on wasteful things.

MattStat said:
Yes, the Moonstone is like a chameleon. What a nice soft tone. And it does have what I would call blue characteristics. That is why I offerred to take an outdoor comparison pic w/o flash. It varies by light. But what the heck. Others have posted nice representations such as Chuck and Awexxxx.
529014064_9x6j8-M-1.jpg

And, there are actually 011 types of people. The third being old coders that have a binary clock, but by the time they figure out the time, it's a minute later ;) (me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart