Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV size advice

CraigD

New in Town
I need some size advice before I order a Fed IV standard.

Measuring my head with a comfortable grip I measure between about 59.5 and 59.8 cm. If I pull the tape as tight around my head as possible - which I know is not the correct way - I measure about 59 cms. So I assume the 60cm size is what I need?

I asked HatsDirect the above, and they agreed with the 60cm – but said that if I plan to use it in all sorts of weather, that “maybe then recommend going up to the next size”

So, now I'm even more confused. Will a 60cm (which is listed as a 'True Size' of 59.5cm) be OK, or a bit tight? The whole reason for getting a Akubra is so that I don't have to worry if it rains, etc.

Thanks for any help.

frussell

One Too Many
Go one up

I've found that GTD's advice is correct, my Fed IV has gone from roomy (and using the sizing strips) to just right in the last few months of use, steaming and re-bashing with spray bottle. You don't want to be stretching it all the time. Frank

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I don't own an Akubra (yet), so I'm the voice of ignorance here, but from what I've read, aren't the Fed IV's a little oversized to compensate for shrinkage?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I usually have good luck just doing a Google search and typing in what I'm looking for along with the word "fedoralounge."

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
It's your money, but I'd strongly recommend springing the extra bucks for the Deluxe Federation IV.

The Heritage grade felt is really thick and super dense, holds a bash through all kinds of weather, yet remains remarkably pliable with a nice hand. It also shrinks less than the regular Fed, so I'd get a 60 in the Deluxe. 61 will never shrink down to size and will still be too large at first even after you put foam 360 degrees around. Standard Imperial grade Akubra fur felt is very good, but this stuff is GREAT!

The Deluxe also has the premium sweat band, which is both wider (1 3/4 inch including the flange), thicker, and softer than the standard Akubra reeded roan sweat. It's super comfortable, and you'd have to hike across the Amazon Forest before perspiration got over it onto the felt.

Mine Fed IV D's moonstone. What color(s) are you considering?

Mr E Train said:
I don't own an Akubra (yet), so I'm the voice of ignorance here, but from what I've read, aren't the Fed IV's a little oversized to compensate for shrinkage?
With regards to the sweatband, yes. As I understand it, Akubra has taken the shrinkage factor of the leather they use for their sweatbands into account when making the Fed IVs, so they are slightly oversized when they're brand new. When my Fed IV was brand new and unbashed I was able to easily pull it down over the tops of my ears; after wearing it (and sweating in it) for a few days, the sweatband shrunk to what I consider to be a near-perfect fit.

The shrinkage factor of the felts they use, however, is a different matter. My guess is Hats Direct advised CraigD to go up a full size if he planned to "use it in all sorts of weather" because the felt has the potential to shrink a full size over the years after repeated "exposure to moisture/drying" cycles. I've only had my Fed IV (standard/Imperial Quality felt) for a couple of years and (in terms of inclement weather) have worn it only in light rain, but there has been no discernable shrinkage of the felt so far.

CraigD

New in Town
Ordered size 60

Well, as usual, I got too impatient - and my wife ordered (on Friday night!) the size 60 in Carbon Grey for my birthday. We ordered the standard Fed IV - as this will be my first proper Fedora, I didn't feel justified in ordering the more expensive variant. I don't plan to use it in heavy rain. Just that living in the UK, I didn't want to have to worry about wearing the hat and it starting to rain.

Have to say, the staff at HatsDirect were very helpful. We initially used the more expensive courier service, but they suggested that the cheaper air mail would actually be better - so saved a little there! :)

Just an FYI--don't be surprised if the shipping carton arrives in "less than pristine" condition. I've read numerous comments on Club Obi Wan from people who purchased a Fed IV from Hats Direct, and almost everyone's hats arrived in a semi-damaged carton (mine included). I should add, however, that rarely did anyone report damage to the hat they received--only to the shipping carton. So if the carton looks a little beat up when it arrives, don't panic, but do inspect the hat thoroughly.

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
Box

My FedIV arrived with the carton in perfect condition. You would never know it had travelled half-way around the world. It could have almost been hand-delivered as there was not a dent or knock on the box. I guess I must be one of the lucky ones though as I have read that a lot of people have had battered boxes with their FedIV. The good thing is everyone says that regardless of the box the hat is always in great condition, so the box does it's job :)

chum

Familiar Face
AlterEgo said:
It's your money, but I'd strongly recommend springing the extra bucks for the Deluxe Federation IV.

The Heritage grade felt is really thick and super dense, holds a bash through all kinds of weather, yet remains remarkably pliable with a nice hand. It also shrinks less than the regular Fed, so I'd get a 60 in the Deluxe. 61 will never shrink down to size and will still be too large at first even after you put foam 360 degrees around. Standard Imperial grade Akubra fur felt is very good, but this stuff is GREAT!

The Deluxe also has the premium sweat band, which is both wider (1 3/4 inch including the flange), thicker, and softer than the standard Akubra reeded roan sweat. It's super comfortable, and you'd have to hike across the Amazon Forest before perspiration got over it onto the felt.

Mine Fed IV D's moonstone. What color(s) are you considering?

I emailed hats direct asking about shrinkage difference between the two grades of felt...their response was "no difference"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt