Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federatiion IV [Deluxe] questions {merged}

jbucklin

Practically Family
I stepped out into the sunlight to get this photo of my Stetson Firenze in the chocolate brown.
Photo90.jpg

It is a very, very dark brown---almost black (although it does look more brown in the sunlight). My favorite color for the Federation IV is still brown. Do you guys think, judging from this pic, that there is enough contrast in color between the Firenze and the Fed to warrant a purchase of the brown Federation? It seems like even the "dark brown" that is offered in the deluxe model is quite a bit lighter than my Stetson.

Neophyte, your reasoning behind getting a 60 is pretty convincing, but I'm not sure if I'm going to have the shrinking problem with the Deluxe. Last week my Firenze seemed like it was way too small, but now fits perfectly after much steaming, jamming down on my head, stretching it on my knee to get a more oval shape to it. It feels great now, and it is a "small" 59.

This is starting to drive me crazy!:eek: My wife is even getting caught up in my decision-making drama. :D

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know the feeling. My whole family is involved in my decision-making, though I know that none of them really care all that much.

As I understand it, Heritage felt will shrink, just a bit less and over a MUCH, MUCH LONGER period of time. I'm thinking that it's better to have a hat a half-size larger than a half-size smaller. The sizing foam will take care of it, and after about a day the foam gets really smushy, and no longer feels like it's pressing against your head. I also took out the liner of my Fed, lessening the amount of heat and perspiration that gets in the hat (it's really hot here in Tennesse and I haven't yet found a straw that I look good in).

Anyway, it's alright to have a few brown hats, especially if your wardrobe works well with brown hats. I myself have really dark hair and somewhat pale skin, so the only hats that work well for me are browns, darker greens, greys, blacks, and blues. As much as I love the tawny fawn/taupe fawn/tan color, it just doesn't work on my head. Oh well :( .:D

Anyway, buy the Fed. You won't be sorry, and your wife will probably appreciate your decisiveness (or at least the change of conversation topic). Be warned, though, from what I've seen and heard of the other loungers (I'm only 19, so I've no experience with wives :eek: ), you and your wife are going to go through this quite a few times. :p :p :p

Oh...and by the way, nice hat:)

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks Neophyte. You give good advice for a 19-year-old.

And yes, that Firenze is a nice hat, eh?

Here's a quote from a Lounger named ScottF that I found, describing his experience with the Federation sizing issue. I read this a few days ago and it has really stuck with me:

"If Akubra is anything like Stetson, then you could get four 58's and each would be slightly different.

I'm a 58.5 and they recommended I get a 59, so I did. It was huge in the beginning, but I've let it get rain-soaked at least three times, conforming more carefully to my head each time, and now it's only slightly large.

When I order my next one, it will be a 58.
"

Neophyte

Hm...I'd have to agree with him, at least as far as saying that, without being there to try one on, you're going to have to hope that the size you order fits. Although I'd venture to say that Akubra is a bit more consistent with their sizes, it's still going to be like playing the lottery. It also doesn't sound like this "Scott" used the sizing tape, which is regarded as standard procedure by many Akubra owners and almost certainly by the staff at HatsDirect.

At 19, all I have going for me is a quick wit and a knack for absorbing information. Everything I told you (even the wife jokes) comes from here, the Lounge, with just the teeniest bit being from personal experience. I've been actively exploring this forum since February, so I've absorbed a lot even before becoming a member. There's also this great "EDIT" feature so I can make sure everything I say comes out just right ;) .

Anyway, I'd say go with your gut. If the hat comes slightly large, stuff it. If it's too small, stretch it and cross your fingers hoping that the shape of the hat isn't too altered. Besides, if you're like many on this forum, you'll eventually consider a custom hat "for that perfect fit." At any rate, I wish you good luck. :D

Lastly, with your purchased Akubra hat comes a letter from The Hattery (HatsDirect), thanking you for your purchase and giving advice for sizing, cleaning, and maintaining your hat. Here's what it says about sizing:

"Fitting Advice
Sticky back foa tape has been supplied in case the hat is a little loose. Place foam under leather sweatband, close to the seam as required. All felt hats, including Akubra Hats will shrink a little over time, so a little larger is better. The foam will compress to the shape of your head and the inside sweat band will settle down with wear. If the hat starts to become tight, simply remove some of the foam.
"

metropd

One Too Many
Actual Akubra Federation IV side brim width

I see on the hats direct website the side brim width on the Akubra Federation IV is listed as 63 millimeters. A friend of mine said his was 2 1/2 inches wide = 63.5 millimeters. What is the actual measurement of the side brim width on yours? Is it 2 1/2 or less? I know Hats direct said the Campdraft had the wrong measurements posted so this may be the same.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My head is exactly 23" around, size 7 3/38, or 59. I bought my Fed IV standard in that size. When I got it, it fit front to back but there was a gap at the sides (Im a long oval). I used some sizing foam to fill the gap, and took it out when the hat conformed to my head. IOW, a 60 wouldve been way too big on me. My two other Feds, all the same size, fit me perfectly. One is a Fed III in Heritage.

Edward

Bartender
Scotty, am I reading you right to say that you found the MK IV to be exactly the same as the MKIII with regards to sizing? I ask as I have two MK IIIs (one regular, one deluxe), and in both I bought my own size, a 57, which was too big to begin with, before shrinking up within two or three wears to be a superb fit on my head (no further shrinkage since, despite considerable wear).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There are many invisible brackets in that line. Fully visible, it reads:

Lefty's snarky tone is Popular (yes, a midsentence capitalization for no reason) in his own mind - of course, Lefty believes in unicorns - to contrary, albeit mistaken, belief, which shall be disregarded and even mocked, because snarkiness, and a high number of posts on a clothing and accessories forum confers power, unless you're James Powers. :D

I warned of this happening quite a while ago and am thinking of changing my user name to Leftradamus.

Neophyte

I'm not sure if you already know this, but the Fed IV is a dimensional brim. I also don't know if you're asking for the sides or the front, so I'm about to do both.

My Federation IV brim, at least on the sides, measures............about 59mm, so about 2.32 inches on the sides. That's very interesting, the brim is smaller than stated. I wonder about front and back.........65mm, so about 2.56 inches.

So my Fed IV's brim is smaller than stated by as high as 0.19 inches and as low as 0.18 inches. Doesn't really matter to me, I can't tell any difference at that small an increment.

That was at least a fun diversion. I hope this helped.

metropd

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
My Federation IV brim, at least on the sides, measures............about 59mm, so about 2.3 inches on the sides. That's very interesting, the brim is smaller than stated. I wonder about front and back.........about 65 inches, so about 2.56 inches.

So my Fed IV's brim is smaller than stated by as high as 0.25 inches and as low as 0.18 inches. Doesn't really matter to me, I can't tell any difference at that small an increment.

That was at least a fun diversion. I hope this helped.

Thank you, anybody else?

Mike K.

One Too Many
I have found that the dimensional brim of the FedIV runs on average 2-3/4" front/back by 2-1/2" sides. My tawny FedIV has these measurements, but I say on average, because my first gray FedIV ran about 1/2" shorter than these measurements all the way around. When I returned/re-ordered a new gray hat, I specifically asked for the brim to be checked for its exact dimensions. The new hat arrived with a brim measuring just slightly larger than what the website indicates (much to my satisfaction).

Bottom line - they vary - ask HatsDirect to personally check for the brim size you want and they will deliver!

jbucklin

Practically Family
My Fed IV Deluxe just arrived. That was quick!!! I ordered it this last Sunday night, using EMS Courier. I haven't even opened the box yet.

Neophyte

I ordered my Squatter and Fedora last Sunday night using EMS, and they got here this morning, two days before I expected it too. That's blazing fast shipping!

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
I ordered my Squatter and Fedora last Sunday night using EMS, and they got here this morning, two days before I expected it too. That's blazing fast shipping!
That's nothing. I just got mine in the mail yesterday, and I was only thinking of ordering one.

frussell

One Too Many
Fed Deluxe

jbucklin - I think you will find that in your new Fed Deluxe you will look a lot like the guy who played guitar with Cafe Noir. I knew you looked familiar. On-topic, your bashing skills are fine. Enjoy your Akubras. Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart