Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federatiion IV [Deluxe] questions {merged}

jbucklin

Practically Family
Akubra Federation IV Deluxe Dilemma

I have raised the funds and decided to get an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe. Here's my dilemma: what color? I was going to get the dark brown, but just recently bought a chocolate brown Stetson Firenze which does seem to resemble the dark brown Federation to a degree. My other fur felt fedoras are a graphite Stetson Saxon and a steel grey Dobbs Dayton. It seems like whichever way I go will be redundant because of Akubras somewhat limited color options. I wish I could see pics of all the different colors of the Fed IV Deluxe side by side. Can anyone help me out here? I will add that I want a color that will look good with jeans or slacks.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What color slacks...
and what color is the rest of your wardrobe.
If you wear earth colors, the brown or tan hats will be your best bet.
If you wear lots of blues and blacks or greys along with your jeans, black or grey or moonstone grey would work for you.

I'm not a fashion aficionado, but this is what I've learned from the 3-4 months I've been around on this site.

Hope this helps.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think that brown, and tawny fawn (Akubra for 'tan') hats go well with navy blue. Gray makes me look washed out whereas browns make me look better. So I go with browns. Plus, I love earth tones, in general.

Edward

Bartender
The Moonstone is probably the most flexible colour. I have a different hat in that hue, and it goes with pretty much anything. I'm considering getting a moonstone one and having the black ribbon replaced with a silver-grey coloured one; IMO that makes it work that little bit better with browns. That'd be the perfect all-rounder, IMO.

Neophyte

I've been wandering about the "Taupe Fawn" color. In some pics, it looks bright tan with a pinkish hue. In other pics, like Indycop's, it looks like a more dull (in a good way) tan with grayish hue. I'm considering it because I like the Dark Brown and Tawny Fawn colors...and the Taupe Fawn, if not to bright, would work with my earth tone and white clothing, as well as jeans.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Heres me in my Tawny Fawn Fed IV. I held the hat right next to the picture as I was typing this. The picture is perhaps a slight touch more pink than the real hat.

0515000840.jpg

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Wow, thanks for that link, Duper! Those are AWESOME pics by FFF.

I too have been struggling trying to pic the right Akubra color. See my thread on "Akubra Banjo Patterson vs. Lawson". I found the hats listed in many different color names and shades, from various websites, even Akubra itself, which didn't even match up with itself!

In the end, I think I'm going to try and go for a rich chocolate brown.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
I've been wandering about the "Taupe Fawn" color. In some pics, it looks bright tan with a pinkish hue. In other pics, like Indycop's, it looks like a more dull (in a good way) tan with grayish hue. I'm considering it because I like the Dark Brown and Tawny Fawn colors...and the Taupe Fawn, if not to bright, would work with my earth tone and white clothing, as well as jeans.
Keep in mind mine is a campdraft with a federation ribbon so color is officially taupe fawn, however much difft. that may be. It is one of my favorite color combos and a favorite hat as well. Definitely my most worn Akubra.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Yes Duper, that's exactly what I was looking for! That really helps. After seeing all of them side by side I am still leaning toward the Deluxe Fed IV in the dark brown, even though I have the chocolate brown Stetson Firenze (which I love btw).

jbucklin

Practically Family
Another brief question: I have read here on the FL that the Federation IVs are a little on the large size, so that if you are a 59 (as I am), then you're safe to order a 59. But then I read that they run a little small and you should order the next size up. Which is it? Both? (I certainly hope not--this is what makes me nervous about ordering a hat from Australia!).

jbucklin

Practically Family
I asked this on my previous thread (Fed IV Deluxe Dilemma) but thought I'd start another one since I am probably going to order it later on today:

I have read here on the FL that the Federation IVs run a little on the large size, so that if you are a 59 (as I am), then you're safe to order a 59. But then I also read here that they run a little small and you should order the next size up. Which is it? Both? (I certainly hope not--this is what makes me nervous about ordering a hat from Australia!).

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
jbucklin said:
I asked this on my previous thread (Fed IV Deluxe Dilemma) but thought I'd start another one since I am probably going to order it later on today:

I have read here on the FL that the Federation IVs run a little on the large size, so that if you are a 59 (as I am), then you're safe to order a 59. But then I also read here that they run a little small and you should order the next size up. Which is it? Both? (I certainly hope not--this is what makes me nervous about ordering a hat from Australia!).

I took HatsDirect.com advice and ordered one size up on mine, a 61 for my 60 head. I've had to use the foam tape that comes with it to take up the extra room, but that may be coming out soon as I think it's shrinking up just a bit. But, even with the foam in, it's a great fit.

The only negative is in putting the foam in it put some "folds" in the headband. I can't feel them, but it bugs me to look at it when I put the hat on. [huh]

Best of luck, it's a great hat.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Hmm. I may just go ahead and order it in my size and use a hat stretcher if it shrinks up. I have also read here that the Deluxe Feds don't shrink up. I hope that's true.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Are you a long oval size? That could make the difference. From most accounts that I read, most people get their true size and find that it's a little large, and then it shrinks down to a perfect fit. I know they don't block them long oval, so maybe with a long oval Hats Direct recommends going up a size so that when it shrinks to fit it won't end up being too tight front to back. I'm just guessing, but that seems logical.

Bottom line, unless you're an extra long oval, I think you'll be perfectly fine buying your normal size.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I'm not sure if I'm a long oval, but I'm certainly not a round. The problem with the Firenze was it didn't fit my more oval shaped head because of its stiffness, which, btw, is fine now, thanks to your sound advice on steaming, stretching, jamming to the ears, etc.---it fits great now and is getting softer by the day. This is why I'm thinking I should order the Fed deluxe in my size. My experience at the Garland outlet store is that most 59s fit me perfectly, though some are a little snug, while some others are a little loose. I wish I could teleport myself to Australia to try them on!

danofarlington

jbucklin said:
Yes Duper, that's exactly what I was looking for! That really helps. After seeing all of them side by side I am still leaning toward the Deluxe Fed IV in the dark brown, even though I have the chocolate brown Stetson Firenze (which I love btw).
You'll get more wear out of a different color I think, because one needs different color hats like you need different color shoes. If after buying a non-dark brown color you still think you need it, you can always go back and get it. I'm just relating my past sense of buyers' remorse when I buy articles of clothing too similar to already-owned items.

Neophyte

The Federations are actually about a half-size smaller than the stated size. This was explained to me by Ron at HatsDirect. Your best bet is to order a size 60, which is really a size 59.5.

I myself am a 59, and I ordered a Dark Brown Federation IV size 60, and with a small strip of foam at the front and back, and about 3.5 weeks of wear, it has shaped to my head nicely. I believe that the Heritage fur would take a lot longer to shrink, so you may need to use more foam . Here's a few pics of me in mine, before and after getting caught in a major thunderstorm. My hat took 5 days to dry, and developed the teeniest bit of taper, but at the angle I wear it it's hard to tell.

Pre-Storm
awesomealex.jpg

Post-Storm Rebash Side Shot
AfterRainSideShot.jpg

Post-Storm Rebash "Sexy Angle" Shot
AfterRainUpShot.jpg

Oddly, the hat looks a lot smaller on me than most, and only looks big when looking up at it, like in the previous photo.

Hope this helps.

Neophyte

I had your dilemma recently, and I just submitted an answer on your first thread. I would go check that, as I gave advice and posted pics. I'm a size 59 like you.

If you don't feel like going to your first thread, here's what I learned from Ron at HatsDirect. The Federation uses block that causes the size to actually be a half-size smaller than stated. A 60 is actually a 59.5. I'm a 59, I ordered a 60, and with a small piece of the supplied sizing foam in the front and back, and about 3.5 weeks of wear, the hat fits me VERY NICELY. I wouldn't order your size and get a hat stretcher, as I've read many time that this can lead to a slight tapering of the crown, which is exactly the opposite of what most people who buy the Fed want. Hope this helped.
My head is egg-shaped when viewed from the top, so I experience some of the issues that long ovals face. However, I've not suffered any compression or "hat-aches" while wearing the Fed IV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart