Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora brim width???

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
I think you’re going to find you are pretty much alone here. Even those with a lot of hats don’t normally change hats when the sun goes down. It’s not like a bag of golf clubs where we select a different hat for each minor change of environment or activity. Most chose a hat for the day and stick with it all day.

The wider brims are a big part of the golden age, but that’s not to say some narrower brims aren’t part of the era too; who doesn’t love a 1930s fedora with a tall straight crown and a modest brim.

Your aversion to the wider brims is common to those new to hat wearing. We’ve seen it over and over again where folks start out with modest brims and lower crowns and aren’t comfortable with the bigger hats. If they stick with it, most come around and end up preferring wider brims and taller crowns. Not everyone follows this pattern, but it’s by far the most common. The smaller hats are also most often lower quality. They came about in the late 1950s and continued into the 1970s. This corresponds to the time when most hats were in a death spiral of lowering quality. Hats became a novelty rather than a daily acutremont that most men wore. The hipsters also gave the stingy brim another 10 minutes of fame, but the quality was generally very poor, but with some noted exceptions.

If you find brims over 2 ½ inches to be floppy you are not experiencing even mid quality hats. There is a reason why the used/vintage market values wider brimmed hats. The style is more classic and less rat pack/hipster and the quality of the hats tend to be much higher. And as we have just shown, a 3” brim can look the same as a 2 ⅜” brim depending on the size of the hat.

All said, if you don’t like the wider brimmed hats that’s cool. To each his own. We have enough competition for the golden era hats as it is and we’ll just have to find a way to live with our fedoras that look like a “woman’s sun hat.”

I’m the guy who started the Show Us Your Stingy Brims thread, and I have quite a bit of exposure to those hats. However, the main reason I have stingy brims is because finding full-size hats in my size is hard going. Stick around and keep wearing hats and I’ll bet you’ll come around and start lusting for a 2 ¾” brim fedor…and even wear it at night! ;)

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/show-us-your-stingy-brims.92725/
One shouldn’t have a spare hat to change for the occasion. An appropriate sized brim hat should be versatile enough for any occasion. I have shorter brims because they are easier to wear and it includes going into the night. I won’t hesitate to put an extra hat in each car just in case. Just in case I needed a hat just like I always have an umbrella or a rain jacket.

I am fairly new to the world of hats and made it known so members don’t get bored with my questions. Perhaps I am comparing guys with a lot of hats to guys with a lot of watches. I stopped collecting watches but there was a time when everyone had a Rolex Submariner and it was their nicest watch . It was a sports watch that people will wear with suits because James Bond did it. So the guy with a lot of watches will know what to wear and will perhaps put a Patek on with a suit. I am sure the guys with a lot of hats have worn enough hats in various sizes and colors so they know what is right and what matches their outfit. So there is a place for wide brims. I’m not saying there isn’t. I think they look very nice with a suit.

Actually my first hat is a Stetson Temple and that would be on the larger size. I like the hat but then went smaller because I thought the smaller brims would fall in line with my build and what I normally wear.

I have already entered the world you speak of and I do lust for a vintage hat from the golden era but because they are made better. Not because they look better. You have also stressed this same sentiment as well and mentioned how better they are made rather than if they look better than their counterpart, smaller brims. I just want one because it is cool and I can show it off.

At the end of the day you wear what you want. My original post was to come into defense of those that wear stingy brims because of the disparaging remarks made by a few members on this thread.

This thread reminds me of the other day when I got into an argument with the cowboy hat community. They hate fedoras and think they are ugly. They think all fedoras are the same as those hipsters hats that gave fedoras a bad name. I ended up changing their minds. To the general public it is one ugly hat community arguing with another ugly hat community on who’s hats are uglier. LOL

I apologize if this is hard to read because I’m posting on mobile and I am not in front of a computer.

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
To be fair I do think wearing a fedora hat over 2 inches at night would be stupid. It is equivalent to wearing sunglasses indoors.

What if it's raining at night? Would a larger brim be stupid then, too?

Your whole purpose of posting here seems to be to convince us that toy hats are what we really want, just like you singlehandedly convinced the cowboy hat forum that fedoras really are cool as you described in a later post. Okay, good for you, but you're wasting your time. Basing your fashion sense on a pedophile drug abuser is your right, of course, but I have yet to be convinced that Michael Jackson's choice of hats should dictate my choices or needs in headwear.

One shouldn’t have a spare hat to change for the occasion. An appropriate sized brim hat should be versatile enough for any occasion. I have shorter brims because they are easier to wear and it includes going into the night. I won’t hesitate to put an extra hat in each car just in case. Just in case I needed a hat just like I always have an umbrella or a rain jacket.

I am fairly new to the world of hats and made it known so members don’t get bored with my questions. Perhaps I am comparing guys with a lot of hats to guys with a lot of watches. I stopped collecting watches but there was a time when everyone had a Rolex Submariner and it was their nicest watch . It was a sports watch that people will wear with suits because James Bond did it. So the guy with a lot of watches will know what to wear and will perhaps put a Patek on with a suit. I am sure the guys with a lot of hats have worn enough hats in various sizes and colors so they know what is right and what matches their outfit. So there is a place for wide brims. I’m not saying there isn’t. I think they look very nice with a suit.

Actually my first hat is a Stetson Temple and that would be on the larger size. I like the hat but then went smaller because I thought the smaller brims would fall in line with my build and what I normally wear.

I have already entered the world you speak of and I do lust for a vintage hat from the golden era but because they are made better. Not because they look better. You have also stressed this same sentiment as well and mentioned how better they are made rather than if they look better than their counterpart, smaller brims. I just want one because it is cool and I can show it off.

At the end of the day you wear what you want. My original post was to come into defense of those that wear stingy brims because of the disparaging remarks made by a few members on this thread.

This thread reminds me of the other day when I got into an argument with the cowboy hat community. They hate fedoras and think they are ugly. They think all fedoras are the same as those hipsters hats that gave fedoras a bad name. I ended up changing their minds. To the general public it is one ugly hat community arguing with another ugly hat community on who’s hats are uglier. LOL

I apologize if this is hard to read because I’m posting on mobile and I am not in front of a computer.
It is not so much that vintage hats are made better as it is the felt used in vintage hats is better in many ways. Vintage felt can have a soft malleable hand but yet still have a plushness and density that is hard to replicate with contemporary felts. This is not across the board true as cheaper hats were made back in the day as well But in general terms a good vintage hat will have nicer felt than a modern mass produced hat and nicer than even some contemporary custom made ones.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
What the hell does the fact that it is night (dark) have to do with the “correct” hat brim width?

Did I misunderstand something?

Educate me.
Depending on brim size it can block the night’s sun.

A 3” brim would be far more effective than us idiots who where stingy brims according to some in this thread.

Who?

Practically Family
It is not so much that vintage hats are made better as it is the felt used in vintage hats is better in many ways. Vintage felt can have a soft malleable hand but yet still have a plushness and density that is hard to replicate with contemporary felts. This is not across the board true as cheaper hats were made back in the day as well But in general terms a good vintage hat will have nicer felt than a modern mass produced hat and nicer than even some contemporary custom made ones.
Is this because mercury is no longer used?

giphy.gif

...and what the devil is "night sun?"

Either I failed to communicate well or you misconstrued my post. The older hats with classic proportions and relatively wide brims were not only made better and from better materials they look much better to me. Those dimensions/proportions look so much better to me, and to my eye their advantage in looks and style over the stingy brims is huge. It’s all personal opinion, but around these parts the wider brims and more classic proportions are king.

Last edited:
Unless you're Eric (@Short Balding Guy ) :p

Is this because mercury is no longer used?
I don't think it can all be attributed to mercury. No doubt it played a part but I had the opportunity to buy a felt from a European hatter made in the 1940's using mercury. The owner said it was amazingly soft/pliable, yet dense and plush. I didn't buy it as it was navy blue and kick myself for not jumping just to have the chance to hold one to see for myself.

I think it was more through competition that felts were superior back then. There were so many hat companies, so many more men wearing hats that the companies had to be on top of their game to compete whereas nowadays it is more about producing an item to meet a price point.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
To be fair I do think wearing a fedora hat over 2 inches at night would be stupid. It is equivalent to wearing sunglasses indoors.

I have shorter brims or trilby for the occasional hat at night scenario.

With that said I don’t think anything shorter than 2 inches isn’t a hat or an idiot for wearing one. Personally I find any brim over 2.5 inch to be floppy and unsettling. It starts to look like a woman’s sun hat.

With today’s more modern clothes, slim fit or tailored look, a floppy fedora doesn’t match unless it is in the day or raining. I have to take off my hat when driving at night. lol

I don’t want to look like I have a costume hat on. The original post is already talking about Bogart so he is planning to cosplay or play dress up. My friends know I’m a Michael Jackson fan so their initial thought was me cosplay as Jackson when they see my big brim black hat. LOL
“To be fair”….BS dude!!

Then i’m stupid, very stupid, for years and years, with nearly every hat i’ve ever worn.
But only smart, very smart, during the daylight hours.
You’ve made you opinions of how hat’s should be worn by others based on YOUR preferences over and over.
Ok, ok, we hear you.
No need to demean nearly every hat wearer at the lounge by your narrow views.
Be Michael Jackson. Good for you. Have fun.
But chill on the judgement of everyone else here!!
It’s old and BORING dude!!!
Not lol
B

Depending on brim size it can block the night’s sun.

A 3” brim would be far more effective than us idiots who where stingy brims according to some in this thread.
Welcome to the Lounge where some of us have strong opinions on hats. Best piece of advice, if you stick around,.....take nothing personally. It is good Lounge advice and good life advice in general.

I don't think it can all be attributed to mercury. No doubt it played a part but I had the opportunity to buy a felt from a European hatter made in the 1940's using mercury. The owner said it was amazingly soft/pliable, yet dense and plush. I didn't buy it as it was navy blue and kick myself for not jumping just to have the chance to hold one to see for myself.

I think it was more through competition that felts were superior back then. There were so many hat companies, so many more men wearing hats that the companies had to be on top of their game to compete whereas nowadays it is more about producing an item to meet a price point.
Further thought. Mercury use was stopped, I think in the 1940's and the felts produced into the 1950's were still pretty damn good.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Further thought. Mercury use was stopped, I think in the 1940's and the felts produced into the 1950's were still pretty damn good.
There's a hat company called Steele Ford that make Indy fedoras, (they're not in the U.S.). I thought I read somewhere that they used Mercury in their hats. I could be mistaken. Maybe somebody else familiar with that company can chime in.

There's a hat company called Steele Ford that make Indy fedoras, (they're not in the U.S.). I thought I read somewhere that they used Mercury in their hats. I could be mistaken. Maybe somebody else familiar with that company can chime in.
In much of the developed world the use of mercury is illegal (1941) due to environmental concerns. Not to say that it isn't still used in China or in the Third World. I have never come across Steele Ford at all and Google turns up nothing.

RBH

Bartender

Terry, I beleive the company you are thinking of is Steele & Jones.
I do not know about any use of mercury. But I believe Robert is correct in that its use in hat making is no longer allowed.

http://www.steele-jones.com.ar/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner