Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora brim width???

Hanover Fiste

New in Town
On my umpteenth viewing of CASABLANCA yesterday, I once again became aware of something that has gnawed at my mind for a while.

Rick Blain's classic fedora... I can't seem to find one like it that has the same panache and style.

Examining it closely, I first thought the missing factor was that wide grosgrain band. Nope... that's PART of it, but it's not EVERYTHING.

Crown height? it's pretty high, but there are high crown fedoras out there that don't have the same film noire feel.

I think I've finally figured it out... How wide is the brim on Bogie's hat???

Modern fedoras seem to be pretty stingy in the brim; my Akubras and Stratoliners are, in comparison, almost trilbies... and IMHO, 90% of the folks who wear a trilby look like morons. The trilby is a satirical version of the classic fedora; they're only suitable wear by Frank Sinatra or B. B. King... I don't sing worth a damn, and my guitar work is more Country - Western than Delta blues.

Does anybody know just HOW wide that generous, lush brim is on Bogie's fedoras? And where can one that wide be found?

I'm thirsting for that Sam Spade look...

Mr. T.

Doesn't really look much wider than the 2.5" of a stratoliner brim, maybe 2 3/4". The Strat has a deeper flange which may make it seem shorter.

Penman make a a version:
http://www.penmanhats.com/pop-culture.html
Yes, I concur. Not an overly tall crown, average brim width perhaps 2 5/8" but you are right no wider than 2 3/4". I am wondering how much Bogart's small stature affects the look of the hat. He was a little guy, short, slight build. With that, any hat would loom larger in his presentation than on say a 6'1", 225 pounder.

On my umpteenth viewing of CASABLANCA yesterday, I once again became aware of something that has gnawed at my mind for a while.

Rick Blain's classic fedora... I can't seem to find one like it that has the same panache and style.

Examining it closely, I first thought the missing factor was that wide grosgrain band. Nope... that's PART of it, but it's not EVERYTHING.

Crown height? it's pretty high, but there are high crown fedoras out there that don't have the same film noire feel.

I think I've finally figured it out... How wide is the brim on Bogie's hat???

Modern fedoras seem to be pretty stingy in the brim; my Akubras and Stratoliners are, in comparison, almost trilbies... and IMHO, 90% of the folks who wear a trilby look like morons. The trilby is a satirical version of the classic fedora; they're only suitable wear by Frank Sinatra or B. B. King... I don't sing worth a damn, and my guitar work is more Country - Western than Delta blues.

Does anybody know just HOW wide that generous, lush brim is on Bogie's fedoras? And where can one that wide be found?

I'm thirsting for that Sam Spade look...

Mr. T.
Oh, and I liked the look of a Trilby on Tom Landry and Bear Bryant. Looked good and certainly defined an era. Hell JFK looked pretty good in his as well.

Hanover Fiste

New in Town
Oh, and I liked the look of a Trilby on Tom Landry and Bear Bryant. Looked good and certainly defined an era. Hell JFK looked pretty good in his as well.
Yes, I concur. Not an overly tall crown, average brim width perhaps 2 5/8" but you are right no wider than 2 3/4". I am wondering how much Bogart's small stature affects the look of the hat. He was a little guy, short, slight build. With that, any hat would loom larger in his presentation than on say a 6'1", 225 pounder.

Good point... Bogie WAS infamously short and slight. It was an open secret in Hollywood that in most of his movies he wore lifts in his shoes!

Re. JFK... I don't think I ever saw a picture of him wearing ANY hat. He was known for disliking them. Sometime before his trip to the Trade Mart in Dallas, just before his assassination, he was presented with a Stetson Open Road by local political bigwigs. He thanked them, but declined to put it on, saying that if they wanted to see him wearing it, they'd have to visit him in the White House.

But as far as brim width is concerned... it occurs to me that the effect I'm looking for might be to have one made with an oversized brim, perhaps 3" or so, and perhaps an inch of extra crown.

Re. trilbys... being from Chicago, I tend to associate them mainly with the garb of Sam Giancana's "soldiers" in the 1950s, along with a bulge in the breast of a high end off the rack suit jacket!!!

But that's just me...

Last edited:
Good point... Bogie WAS infamously short and slight. It was an open secret in Hollywood that in most of his movies he wore lifts in his shoes!

Re. JFK... I don't think I ever saw a picture of him wearing ANY hat. He was known for disliking them. At the Trade Mart in Dallas, just before his assassination, he was presented with a Stetson Open Road by local political bigwigs. He thanked them, but declined to put it on, saying that if they wanted to see him wearing it, they'd have to visit him in the White House.

But as far as brim width is concerned... it occurs to me that the effect I'm looking for might be to have one made with an oversized brim, perhaps 3" or so, and perhaps an inch of extra crown.

Re. trilbys... being from Chicago, I tend to associate them mainly with the garb of Sam Giancana's "soldiers" in the 1950s, along with a bulge in the breast of a high end off the rack suit jacket!!!

But that's just me...
If you want a custom fedora to your specifications shoot me a PM.

Re. JFK... I don't think I ever saw a picture of him wearing ANY hat. He was known for disliking them. At the Trade Mart in Dallas, just before his assassination, he was presented with a Stetson Open Road by local political bigwigs. He thanked them, but declined to put it on, saying that if they wanted to see him wearing it, they'd have to visit him in the White House.

But that's just me...

JFK wore hats. His not wearing hats has been debunked repeatedly and is easy to disprove by anyone who can use Google.

You can not like a style (trilbies) without disparaging those who do.

The Stratoliner has had the same brim width since the 1940s and its definitely not a stingy brim. I like wider brims too, but 2 1/2” is in the range for a standard full brim width fedora.

614607ED-95AE-4E69-8E84-8A436CE91522.jpeg
381CB064-E61B-4992-81AB-DE7C75260DB5.jpeg
90C2491F-D424-4B94-AC57-8502D129194F.jpeg
A9BA56A3-D3EB-4C49-9073-DF640E8772B9.jpeg
01333851-2443-48D9-81A0-6F36427D99AD.jpeg
0B43AB66-E6CE-470E-94AA-06B15813B37D.jpeg
37655306-A821-461D-A85C-8B3E4003747E.jpeg
8CB8A2D9-EC78-493D-A2D9-8ECA27C82BE6.jpeg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bogart as a slight Hunan being with short stature 5’-8” and a hat size of 7 (smaller then your average modern man.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/dimensions-of-bogarts-hat.30121/
In this thread Art Fawcett identifies the hat has 5 3/4 crown and 2 3/8 brim. But that brim will look different on someone that is 6’-0” with a 7 1/2 hat size and heavier set. If it was me I would trust a full custom hatter to make one that would suit you and give you the look you want.
My two cents worth
Johnny

Hanover Fiste

New in Town
JFK wore hats. His not wearing hats has been debunked repeatedly and is easy to disprove by anyone who can use Google.

You can not like a style (trilbies) without disparaging those who do.

The Stratoliner has had the same brim width since the 1940s and its definitely not a stingy brim. I like wider brims too, but 2 1/2” is in the range for a standard full brim width fedora.

View attachment 298717 View attachment 298718 View attachment 298719 View attachment 298720 View attachment 298721 View attachment 298722 View attachment 298723 View attachment 298724

I stand corrected !!!

Now that I think about it harder, I have seen him in the inauguration topper ( IMHO he looks a bit uncomfortable in it... and it also looks like it's too small!), and in the hats that are part of his Navy dress uniform.

The other pictures are new to me. Thanks !!!

Hanover Fiste

New in Town
BTW, I think we've hit on something else here... the look is a matter of proportions.

It's been pointed out that brim widths are more or less standardized... REGARDLESS of hat size.

As it happens, I wear a 7 3/4, and if I can find one, 7 7/8 or 8 . A 2.5" brim is going to look very different on that than it will on a size 6 3/8 !!!

That naturally implies that discarding standard brim dimensions and scaling brim width to hat size might be something hat makers should consider.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now that I think about it harder, I have seen him in the inauguration topper ( IMHO he looks a bit uncomfortable in it... and it also looks like it's too small!), and in the hats that are part of his Navy dress uniform.

Hi
I agree, he looks like he hates the topper and it's setting way high compared to what I usually wear. I'm dead against Stingy Brim hats, to me 3 inches is Stingy... Bogie looks good in his somehow, and he ain't known for being cute. I think part of it is the higher crown and the front / back flip.

I looked up JFK Navy images and he wore those hats way higher than I would also. Maybe he was comfortable with the hat up that high, I wouldn't know, I was like 2 when he passed.
Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner