Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora brim width???

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
My original post was to come into defense of those that wear stingy brims because of the disparaging remarks made by a few members on this thread.
I don't know to what specific exchange you are referring, and while we are human and will occasionally have disagreements, if you are around TFL very long you will find that we have fun and we often make fun of our own hats and each other's hats regularly and in a very good natured, light hearted manner. Of all Forums I have been in, TFL is the most inclusive by far. If you have a hat or color or style you like, wear it and be proud whether it is modern or vintage, a homburg, bowler, flat cap, fez, topper, glengarry, gambler, pork pie, fedora, trilby, campaign, tyrol, cowboy, 10 gallon western, Panama, or boater. What tends to set people off here, and in life generally, is when someone comes along proclaiming their way is the only way something should be done or the only way something should look.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The brim on this hat is exactly three (3) inches wide. The hat is a size 7 ¾ (62cm) long oval so in proportion to the crown the brim looks to be a more modest width. I can’t wait to get this hat…sometime next week!
Allow me to approach the topic from a bit of a different angle - pun intended! Discounting the obvious exceptions (sombreros and the typical cowboy and westerns), I've noticed that I tend to buy hats with brims that are outside my field of vision. Yes, looking straight ahead, I can shift my eyes up and see brims on most of my hats, but with eyes straight ahead, most of my brims are outside of my field of vision. In my case, I tend toward brims under 2 3/4 inches. Anything wider I can "see", making me feel like I am under an umbrella.

I'm wondering if many of us buy brim widths, subconsciously, in this manner and I'm wondering if that has some bearing on the whole notion of proportionality to which Brent refers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner