Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Fatigue

hatflick1

Practically Family
Do fellow Loungers also experience fedora fatigue, those times when no matter what special vintage Dobbs or Adam or Stetson you have in your collection, it just seems like the same old fedora when you put it on?

So the question I offer is this: what hat do you wear to take a break from a fedora (to include pork pies and homburgs).

Here's one I wear.

http://www.headnhome.com/hatstore/tophats/eldorado_black_suede_diamond_inlay_band

It's different, a hint of the Old West, and ideal for weekends at the beach, a hike through a canyon or wandering the Hollywood Framers Market on
Sunday. Yes, it's suede but not as heavy and hot as another suede hat I once owned and quickly donated.

Kindly share your alternative head wear.

I have a quite a few westerns that I wear around the ranch & on weekends to the feed store. I do wear a ball cap now & then during football season or out driving the jeep or when I get off my motorcycle. I have had a bout with skin cancer so I must wear something to keep the sun damage off but a fedora is the mainstay of my lid wardrobe.

RBH

Bartender
I really never tire of my fedoras but I do swap the thin ribbons out for a wider one now and again.
I also pop a straw on at times when the weather is right in the winter time.
I very seldom wear a felt in the summer although the Vagabond and a couple of my MooreLites are perfect for summer wear.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
So far I haven't seemed to tire of fedoras. I have quite a few different ones in my collection, so I generally can always find one to fit my mood. When I'm not in a fedora mood, I seem to be in a flat cap mood, and wear those until I decide to wear a fedora again.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
I have a quite a few westerns that I wear around the ranch & on weekends to the feed store. I do wear a ball cap now & then during football season or out driving the jeep or when I get off my motorcycle. I have had a bout with skin cancer so I must wear something to keep the sun damage off but a fedora is the mainstay of my lid wardrobe.

Is there any place where you can order ribbons made for hats? The standard stuff in a sewing store doesn't have enough "stretch" to it to fit properly.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
DSC_0003.jpg

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
With nearly 80 lids, I have a wide array of headgear to suit just about any mood or task.

Occasionally I have a consulting assignment at a factory or construction site that requires me, for safety reasons, to wear a screaming-yellow plastic hard hat. There's nothing that will send me sprinting back to a fedora like wearing that all day long!

As a rule, however, the cure for fedora fatigue is to buy a new one. Purchasing a bespoke or custom fedora is an especially effective cure. Broke? Rebash an oldie.

hatflick1

Practically Family
"As a rule, the cure for fedora fatigue is to buy a new one."
Yes, indeed!
I have rejuvenated my own fedora malaise many times over the years shopping around for and purchasing an addition to the collection.
And there have been those times when i have said, "Enough!" only to wander into a flea market and spot some vintage number or another and in my size!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
When I was in High School ... my senior year, to be precise ... I drove a 1947 Ford and in the winter, my usual attire was topped off by a World War II Army overcoat and a black suede top hat.

Later, I added a brown, full grain, leather top hat to wear with a natty brown, double brested wool overcoat

Both hats were by Scully leather, which made some great hats ... tough, good looking

The problem, though, is leather hats are just not very comfortable

Of course, if I had owned a beaver top hat ... like the one Ward Bond wore in "The Searchers," I'd have gladly worn that instead, though I doubt it would have taken the juvenile abuse that old leather one did

That was in 1972 and I still own the hat, though I never wear it any more

On the other hand, perhaps I'm in a rut, but I can't say I ever get tired of my favorite fur felt fedoras, homburgs and western conversion fedoras[huh]

Just for a break, I bag up the furs in May and get out the straws and enjoy them during the hot months

Havana

One of the Regulars
I wear mostly westerns with some fedoras, I do suffer from "felt fatigue" from time to time. During those times, I like to wear this Barmah kangaroo leather hat. It's extremely comfortable and has that just right "it's 5 o'clock somewhere" attitude. On top of all of that, it's fully crushable and makes a great packing hat. Best of all, no "Hey Indy!" comments. (Knock on wood.)

barmah.jpg

Artie

Suspended
I love my fedoras so I really can't say I'm sick of them but I do wear flat caps, and my Derby or a Homburg when I'm dressed more formally on Sunday morning. I got a boater a few weeks ago that I'm dieing to wear once the weather turns a little warmer.

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

I have enough Fedoras at this point where they coordinate with the jackets and coats. So, I change them based on the weather, as it were. :p

As far as style goes, I have a few Open Road style hats with their cattleman's creases. They're still dress-weight felt and so not really different from most of the Fedora's with their thin to medium width ribbons. But, the creasing makes them look a lot different. :D

I have only two western-weight felt hats. One is a Gambler style, but the other sports a diamond crease and a front pinch, just like most of my dress-weight fedoras. I guess you could call that a Fedora on Steroids. lol

It's the same when it comes to summer straws. Most are Fedoras, but a couple are Open Road style, including one of my Panamas.

I don't wear any caps, and a porkpie is too small for my face - hence the gambler. I don't like the Homburg as I'm far too casual for one of those nor do I like a Derby.

I guess I'm rather stuck in a rut. ;)

later!

Stan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot