Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora stretching

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
I bought a fedora about ayear ago and it was supposed to be a 7 3/8 but fits more like a 7 1/8- 7 1/4.How difficult and expensive is it to have it stretched?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Curt Dawson said:
I bought a fedora about ayear ago and it was supposed to be a 7 3/8 but fits more like a 7 1/8- 7 1/4.How difficult and expensive is it to have it stretched?

There are lots of posts on the topic in the hat section. Take a look there and I'm sure you'll find the answers you need.

Dixon Cannon

Hi, I'm a Martinet,

I bought a cheap ($20.00) plastic hat stretcher at the local hat shop which inserts inside the hat at the band. A couple of twists of the screw handle and it stretches the hat ever so gently. The key is to do it over time, incrementally. It's not necessary to steam, but a warmer environment is better than a colder environment. You don't want threads or leather to snap.

Viola! ....a larger hole for your head!

-dixon cannon

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm considering purchasing a new fedora that is a size 7 3/4, the vendor has offered to stretch it for me as I wear a 7 7/8. Is it reasonable to think the hat can stretch enough to be a comfortable fit? Should I get a hat-jack to prevent the hat band from shrinking if I don't wear the hat everyday?
I thought it was cool that the company offered to do this for me.

Mike in Seattle

KY Gentleman said:
I'm considering purchasing a new fedora that is a size 7 3/4, the vendor has offered to stretch it for me as I wear a 7 7/8. Is it reasonable to think the hat can stretch enough to be a comfortable fit? Should I get a hat-jack to prevent the hat band from shrinking if I don't wear the hat everyday?
I thought it was cool that the company offered to do this for me.

That should work OK - going from 7-3/4 to 7-7/8 is just up'ing the hat one size. Most posts here have said going more than one size can lead to problems. AND if the vendor's going to resize it, so much the better - if it rips or anything, it's his problem. When you buy it and stretch it yourself, it's all on your head if anything goes wrong. Having a hat-jack around isn't a bad idea - not necessary to store the hat on when you're not wearing, but if the hat ever does need a little more restretching or reshaping.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The hatsoff gadget looks like a handy tool and a good investment. Thanks for the info. Thanks for your response too, Mike in Seattle.

carldelo

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou