Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Has anyone ever suggested or thought of updating the depressingly lame entry for 'Fedora' on Wikipedia? Possibly making it more informational or detailed? And adding a page describing TFL? It's open for people to edit freely, and although I don't have the computer skills to be able to format such stuff, does anyone else here care to have a go?

Maybe we can make it a project here in the hat forum for all of us to create pages on the different companies, and essentially reorganize Wikipedia's 'hat section' to educate the general public. Opinions?

Elgin1924

New in Town
That's an excellent idea!

I have been quite disappointed by the information on that page, and it would be great to update it with the amazing information that has been posted on here!

Edward

Bartender
Absolutely a great idea. I certainly don't hold myself out as enough of an expert to be the one to do it, and yet even I recognise many glaring booboos and sweeping, unsubstantiated claims in the existing entry.

And red fedoras being 'common'? Uhm, outside of perhaps a Linux conference, where exactly would that be??

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would one of the bartenders like to take this task? Or do we have anyone specifically skilled in the required formatting? I've tried updating things in Wiki but I'm always frustrated in the end.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Updating wikipedia can be fun. I've updated the "Diner" and "Little Tavern" pages, and you know I know my stuff when it comes to both of those- it always either gets changed back to something wrong by someone else or deleted.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Updating wikipedia can be fun. I've updated the "Diner" and "Little Tavern" pages, and you know I know my stuff when it comes to both of those- it always either gets changed back to something wrong by someone else or deleted.

You certainly know fedoras also. I nominate Dinerman, if he's willing that is. :)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
The motion has been made and seconded, all those in favor say Aye...

AYE!

All those opposed respond by saying Nay...

nay...

I'm sorry Dinerman you can't vote against yourself. The Ayes have it, the nomination is made, Dinerman is the Lounge's choice for Wikipedia editor. Let it be written into hat law. :D

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:

Exactly why I don't bother with Wikipedia.

Brad

1961MJS

Dinerman said:

Hi

I looked at Wikipedia on 9 July 2010, and it says that Diner's are prefabricated. Is that yours? I usually use the term diner to mean any restaurant selling regular American food, bacon and eggs with hash browns, meat loaf, fried chicken, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes etc.

Thanks

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not my edit, but yes, all true diners are prefabricated, either whole or in sections and delivered to the site. They've been doing it that way for over 100 years.
Other restaurants picked up on the name to cash in on the diner associations.
And though there are a handful of examples of conversions, diners did not come from train cars or trolleys or the like- they evolved from portable lunch wagons, similar to the food trucks and trailers you see today at fairs and the like.

Mav

A-List Customer
This is a horrible idea. It will ruin Wikipedia's fine tradition and reputation for inaccurate information.

Bruce Wayne

Mav said:
This is a horrible idea. It will ruin Wikipedia's fine tradition and reputation for inaccurate information.

Actually, for the most part studies have found that Wikipedia articles are are as accurate as almost any other source of information.

Someone on here mentioned that a regular encylopedia will mention the seals & such that are found at Pier 39 in San Fran, but none of them will mention what has/is happening to them currently. For that you have to wait to buy next years book.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
The first modern fedora appeared in France, onstage in an 1882 play by Victorien Sardou (1831–1908). The play was called Fedora,...
(snip)
As Fedora, Bernhardt wore a stylish soft felt hat with a crease in the crown. Bernhardt's many fans were charmed and began to wear the new hat, called a fedora in honor of the star's role. While fedoras were first popularly worn by women in France, Germany, and England, they were soon adopted by men as an alternative to the stiff bowler hats, or derby hats, that were the most common men's hats at the time.

I can't help but wonder, If the play "Fedora" triggered women to wear a fedora style hat, how did men jump on board with the idea? I wouldn't think men of that era would be too keen on wearing a hat that was popular for women to wear. I suppose by the time they did, the play was ancient history.

danofarlington

Bruce Wayne said:
Now I am not saying that Wikipedia is the end-all, be-all source for information online, but it can be as usefull & accurate as any other source of information, printed or otherwise.
If it weren't for Wikipedia, I wouldn't have known that Columbus discovered America in 1976.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner