Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedorafest III Stratoliner from Stetson

Status
Not open for further replies.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

The dimensions from what I've read are 5.75 inch OPEN crown, dimensional brim 2 5/8 front, 2 1/2 sides, and 2 3/4 back, in Silverbelly. X linge ribbon, and Calfskin sweatband at ROUGHLY $150.00 shipped from Covington TN to your door this fall.

Comments and corrections are encouraged AND expected... :D

Later

Major Moore thank you for your efforts I know this has not been an easy task on yours or on those at Stetson that are helping with this project. It is not easy for someone to tell
marketing that this is what people want. They think they know but really don't you would think they would see the dollars spent daily on eBay for vintage Open Roads and Strat's an realize the market opportunity. But they see the easy marketing of product today that does not demand a certain standard of quality as an easier sell. Let's hope that everyone here will help this be a success. Then Stetson may start to realize the gold mine they are sitting on with all the vintage hat designs from the past that people would love to buy today.

I truly wish to agree with every word, Ed, because I have thought the very thing myself, or at least something much like it.

But Hatco's experience with the Stetson Nostalgia (terrible name, but a good-lookin' lid) kinda suggests otherwise. My understanding is that it was something of a sales dud.

Perhaps all that interest in old hats on eBay and here and there around the 'net doesn't necessarily translate into success for a re-introduced style. I'm left scratching my head, of course. I just can't fathom how a customer in a hat store could be presented with a Stetson Nostalgia or this new Stratoliner I hear so many good things about and not find its style more appealing than just about everything else in that shop.

But it seems we well may be mistaken in our estimates of how many others see hats the way we do. Perhaps they would develop more discerning eyes if salespeople had the knowledge of the product along with the interest in educating their customers. Alas, I fear that's a rare thing these days. Indeed, I'd bet that the large majority of Hatco's products are retailed in stores that sell lots of stuff other than hats -- boots and all the rest of that cowboy drag, of course, and raincoats and shoes and whatnot in the men's stores that carry "city" hats. Even if our hypothetical salesperson down at the Kowboy Korral or Snooty Sam's preferred the look of that new Stratoliner over the other hats on the shelves, he or she would probably lack the vocabulary to say why.

Major Moore knows his hats, though, so it’s all to the good that he’s pushing this thing forward. I’m confident that at his shop a customer would leave knowing more than he did when he strolled in.

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Tony the problem is that most hat shops now sell most of there product online and never see their customer. I know that DelMonico's did not bring any
Nostalgia's in. You can see here with all the questions about how to go about shaping ones crown and brim that most people don't want to be bothered and
the hat shops don't want to shape a hat when the customer is not there since then it can't be resold if it doesn't fit and is returned. DM only creases hats if
you are in the store. I like creasing my own hats. I am looking forward to this new Strat. I do wear my Hatco Strat quite a lot though.

Jeff

Yeah, there's certainly all of that, Jeff. The only hats-only retailer -- you know, an honest-to-gosh STORE made of and filled with stuff you can actually touch -- with which I have any firsthand knowledge is Byrnie Utz in downtown Seattle. They accept returns on their open-crown hats only if the hat is returned uncreased. Hard to fault 'em for that. So sure, I can see how that makes retailing that Nostalgia model online something you might face with trepidation.

I believe it was during my most recent visit there, which must have been a good year ago or more now, that the sales clerk showed me a Nostalgia and offered me a very good price on it. Even I could take as a sign it wasn't the hottest item in the store. And I was tempted, not that I had any need for it, of course. I liked its style just fine.

Last edited:

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Not to contradict anyone, but I think Bencraft does exceptionally well with their open-crown Borsalino sales! Besdor would have to confirm this, but I was in their store in Brooklyn a couple of years ago and every hat I tried on was open crowned. I like that. They offered to crease the one I bougt, but I deferred. I like the option of toying with my own crease.

So then perhaps that's evidence that what works in one part of the hat business doesn't necessarily translate to other parts of it. To your knowledge, Lucky, does Bencraft do much online trade? Our Bencraft Steven et al have been in business for good long while and know of what they speak and cater to a well-established clientele that, while not quite unique to that context, is much more prevalent there than in, say, Omaha, or Portland.

I trust that Major Moore will do well with this small-production Stetson model he's working on. Gotta wonder how other retailers would do with it, should that come to pass.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
So then perhaps that's evidence that what works in one part of the hat business doesn't necessarily translate to other parts of it. To your knowledge, Lucky, does Bencraft do much online trade? Our Bencraft Steven et al have been in business for good long while and know of what they speak and cater to a well-established clientele that, while not quite unique to that context, is much more prevalent there than in, say, Omaha, or Portland.

I trust that Major Moore will do well with this small-production Stetson model he's working on. Gotta wonder how other retailers would do with it, should that come to pass.

I wouldn't even dare to presume at what they do online. And, yes, they do have a long standing customer base that, I believe, has expanded as more and more folks discover the wonderful world of decent lids! As well, online ordering, at least for the Allessandria model, offers creased or open. Maybe that should be an option for anyone who sells open crown.

I know Sal, at Hollywood Hatters, has expanded exponentially from catering to the Jewish trade only to the world of entertainers and layman alike. Does he sell open crown? One or two, maybe. But he has the tools to change/make a crease in his shop if need be. Don't they do the same at Bernie Utz's?

I'm just looking forward to seeing what these guys come up with!

T Rick

Practically Family

Pretty sure this hat will be an exclusive to Bukaroo Hatters. In fact I'm nearly certain I read just that somewhere in this thread.

On the subject of open crowns, my theory is this. "Proper" hats these days, are a niche market. The open crown would be a niche within a niche. Most won't want to be bothered, would be intimidated, or would be falsely thinking they needed fancy equipment (steamer etc.) to accomplish this.

My Nostalgia on order, I decided exactly what I wanted the crease to look like. When it arrived, I tried it on (it fit!). I took some pictures, and then I set about to "bash" it. It took literally about 10 seconds (certainly no more than 30). This is not an exaggeration. But I did have a plan, and after all, I was experienced(;)), having bashed a Camp Draft (once, and it was done wet).

The Nostalgia dry bash has not been tweaked or changed, though the felt is nicely changed a bit over 6-8 months, getting a nice soft hand to it. Here's the bash I did, right after I did it.

standard.jpg

For this new offering coming from Stetson, I too plan to try to do something very similar to what Mr. Dean has done with his diamond bash on the Prototype of this hat. Not sure how long it will take, but I'll bet I'll find something I can live with in well under 5 minutes. Time will tell!

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Not to contradict anyone, but I think Bencraft does exceptionally well with their open-crown Borsalino sales! Besdor would have to confirm this, but I was in their store in Brooklyn a couple of years ago and every hat I tried on was open crowned. I like that. They offered to crease the one I bougt, but I deferred. I like the option of toying with my own crease.

Yup, all the Borsalinos I've purchased there have been open crown. Stanley, Besdor's dad is incredibly skilled on the art of hand creasing.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I was just in Cincinnati this week and made a trip to see Gus at "Batsakes." He was his usual ornery self but is a wealth of knowledge. I tried on the Stetson Temple while I was there and was pleasantly impressed. First, it was a great looking hat with a wonderful "snap" brim and very soft felt. I feel I could easily live with this hat and the really surprising thing was that Gus was at least $10 cheaper than any of the online stores. He had the price marked at $150 and the cheapest I(I know somebody will be able to find one cheaper so don't bother)I saw online was $159. He had it in all the colors and sizes too. The Caribou is my first choice! I tried on a 7 1/2 and a 7 5/8 and decided that when I order my new Strat is will be in the 7 5/8 even though it will be a little big. I'll just tuck some tissues in the brim like my other hats so it fits fine and I don't have to worry about any shrinking. If I was not saving for the Major's new hat I would have bought this in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I truly wish to agree with every word, Ed, because I have thought the very thing myself, or at least something much like it.

But Hatco's experience with the Stetson Nostalgia (terrible name, but a good-lookin' lid) kinda suggests otherwise. My understanding is that it was something of a sales dud.

Perhaps all that interest in old hats on eBay and here and there around the 'net doesn't necessarily translate into success for a re-introduced style. I'm left scratching my head, of course. I just can't fathom how a customer in a hat store could be presented with a Stetson Nostalgia or this new Stratoliner I hear so many good things about and not find its style more appealing than just about everything else in that shop.

But it seems we well may be mistaken in our estimates of how many others see hats the way we do. Perhaps they would develop more discerning eyes if salespeople had the knowledge of the product along with the interest in educating their customers. Alas, I fear that's a rare thing these days. Indeed, I'd bet that the large majority of Hatco's products are retailed in stores that sell lots of stuff other than hats -- boots and all the rest of that cowboy drag, of course, and raincoats and shoes and whatnot in the men's stores that carry "city" hats. Even if our hypothetical salesperson down at the Kowboy Korral or Snooty Sam's preferred the look of that new Stratoliner over the other hats on the shelves, he or she would probably lack the vocabulary to say why.

Major Moore knows his hats, though, so it’s all to the good that he’s pushing this thing forward. I’m confident that at his shop a customer would leave knowing more than he did when he strolled in.

It's all about marketing. If they would have introduced it with an old ad or poster and pushed it to their dealers like they really wanted to sell it it would have probably made it. I don't consider myself an expert on hats by any means but after wearing them for several years, watching the ads, reading here everyday and living on Ebay I think I know more than the average bear. That being said............I knew nothing of the Nostalgia until I read about it's demise here on the forum. Too bad but like above, I'll end up going with the Temple if I buy anything other than the new Strat. The ribbon treatment is about the same and it has that old style "private eye" look to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner