Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedorafest III Stratoliner from Stetson

Status
Not open for further replies.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I fail to understand how this is an end around the work the Major has done. Perhaps I'm just thick (good possibility). I'm not sure how much good it would do, but I don't see the harm either.

I agree, DO NOT include Major Moore in this. Doesn't matter all the work HE has done in this !! I keep forgetting we are in the 21st century and ALL is ok to do to get what we want :)

Justin B

One Too Many
I don't see it as an end around at all. Rather something to help HIS cause by showing there is plenty of interest from a large community. We're not saying (or at least I'm not) that we are going to have the hats made on our own, just have something that showsthere is a viable market for what he wants to do.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I don't see it as an end around at all. Rather something to help HIS cause by showing there is plenty of interest from a large community. We're not saying (or at least I'm not) that we are going to have the hats made on our own, just have something that showsthere is a viable market for what he wants to do.
Why not contact HIM first, BEFORE going on Facebook and seeing what HE thinks about this idea. Wouldn't hurt, would it :)

RBH

Bartender
You my friend are indeed Wise.

This thread is dead.

As are the hopes of a FF III Stratoliner.

While the Major may love the Western hat, he knows and understands our love of the dress hat.
Things just did not look the way Mike wanted for us.

So.. bottom line.. no new vintage style Stratoliner for us.

I will not close this thread ...... yet.
We can discuss why we think HatCo let this one by.. but I will not let it get into a HatCo bashing thread.

Last edited:

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I wonder how many new Strat's HatCo sold. Why would a large "hat factory" commit the production line time for a niche market when they can make max profits on some pressed cotton disposable crap hat for the mass market? We have members who make quality customs for very reasonable prices. Could be they just saw themselves creating competition for their own existing "New Strat". I own several new and old Stetsons ranging from a Zephyr weight to a Pinnacle to a Shantung OR so I know the realities of the modern Stetson. The Major and others take orders for hats without having to deal with a company whose heart or ledger are just not in it. Just my opinion of course.
Tom D.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I suspect it had something to do with detail fit and finish, some of the little things we tend to obsess about. These problems couldn't be entirely eliminated, or could not be eliminated at a reasonable price.

Maybe it came down to Hatco not wanting to make the hat until the Major put money up front, and the Major was thinking just the opposite, show me the hats before I commit the money. A custom run is a bit higher risk for Hatco; if the Major rejects the hats they will likely end up at the outlet store selling at a huge loss. Buying a custom run up-front is a huge risk for the Major as well, and maybe the two parties just could not work it out.

RBH

Bartender
This is all I plan to add.
As I truly do not want to bash HatCo... which is one reason Mike has not responded to this tread.

The quality issues could not be addressed to Mikes satisfaction.

He had the money... we had the time.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Pretty much my point. The Major invested his time but HatCo, I suspect, didn't see a practical return on their investment. Makes business sense for them and that's their biggest concern. I understand but am disappointed as I think we all are.
Tom D.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yes, it was a valiant effort, but trying to get a volume-dependent factory operation to provide the sort of quality necessary for survival on a perfection-driven format like this, tough to make it happen. Since I have been on here Bencraft and now Buckaroo have tried to get a special run of collector-grade quality from Hatco and neither attempt worked out. Will we cry in our beer at FFIV?

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Rusty what can you tell us about the Major and Akubra. I hope they are not all going to have those darn chin strap grommets that DM orders. Or has Akubra seen that maybe DM is not the best National distributor.

Jeff

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I'm sorry it didn't work out but honestly my only complaint with the modern Stratoliner is the seeming inability to tack the ribbon down next to the fold.

I might snag another (gave mine to my dad) and have the ribbon moved down by the local hat shop.

Tom

RBH

Bartender
Rusty what can you tell us about the Major and Akubra. I hope they are not all going to have those darn chin strap grommets that DM orders. Or has Akubra seen that maybe DM is not the best National distributor.

Jeff
Mike will deal with DM. As far as I know he will have to pick from what DM brings in, he [Mike] hopes that in time he will be able to order other styles that DM does not handle yet.
Its a great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy