Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedoraFest IV

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mike sewing the sweatband into my hat

buck_25.jpg

buck_26.jpg

What the heck is in that hat?

buck_27.jpg

barrowjh

One Too Many
Buler, love the pictures and the humorous captions. I cannot remember what was in that hat! What on earth was Robert showing me, to result in such a scrunched up face? hmmm. Too much medicine, perhaps.

I need to take some nice pics of that special hat band and post them here. BTW, I put that powder blue hat up on ebay, any of you 7 1/8ths interested. I had converted it from a cattleman to a C-crown, but it was still just too much crown, so we formed it into a telescope at Mike's suggestion. Still, it resulted in a zero-taper crown (if not negative taper!) and it is just too much crown for me, I know I will never wear it, so I am giving up on it, selling it. It is not a bad hat at all, just meant for someone with wider shoulders than mine. Also selling a Resistol 'wide country' (late OR clone) with the same general problem - a 3 inch bound brim is just too much hat for my shoulders to carry. In addition, I think it was stretched to a 7 1/4 for the original owner, and even though it is a 7 1/8, it fits too loose on me. It has been gathering dust and not getting worn for two years now, time to accept reality and sell it. Always hard to part with nice felt. Neither are spectacular collector's items, on d' bay.

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Peters Bros Shady Oak Banker Special One Hundred (swiss hood) w/ special hat band

As the title indicates, this is my vintage Peters Brothers Shady Oak Bankers Special One Hundred from back when Peters was getting the hoods from Switzerland, a really nice, soft hat. At FF IV in Covington I sought out an improved hat band, originally wanting to have a wider ribbon treatment, applied by Art, of course. Before Art arrived there, however, Mike showed me two leather and sterling silver hat bands made by artisan Denice Langley. It was love at first sight and I bought one of them, dresses up the hat well IMHO.

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

Cute little blue stone in it, lapis I presume? I don't know?
IMG_3326.jpg

Here is a vintage panama, got a woven horse hair band for it also.
IMG_3328.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just wanted to thank Mike again for the amazing time at Buckaroo Hatters and for letting me make my very own custom hat at his shop! Its by far my favorite western style hat to date.

Here's the hat when it came out of the shop:

I have since done a little re-blocking and reshaping and made the hat more of a western style than a dress style.

I re-blocked the hat using a very straight sided and flat topped block, almost like a Columbia style. I also put more of a swoop in the brim and pushed the sides up a bit.

Here's my Fedorafest IV Buckaroo hat now:

buckaroo2.jpg

buckaroo1.jpg

buckaroo3.jpg

buckaroo4.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, I really like it how do you shape him, looks fantastic. Love that style.

Great styling there Josh... that is one heckuva ribbon.

I've never noticed a ribbon knot put on a angle like that one.

Awesome lid Josh!

THANK YOU very much, Gentlemen!! I love this hat for a couple reasons. I used a dress weight felt body and sanded it for quite a bit. Not only is this hat light as a feather, but its not as stiff as a standard western hat. Its weight and lack of super stiffness reminds me of several turn of the century westerns that I've handled. Its 82 degrees outside today in Chicago and I would NEVER think of wearing a felt when its this hot, but this hat really breathes and keeps me cool.

Job - I have looked at thousands of vintage ads and have examined several of my own vintage turn of the century hats. The angled ribbon knot is not my original idea, but I was happy to bring it back to life. :)

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
I met Jeff from Winchest Hat Corp at FFIV. I told him I wanted to come by and see how the bodies were made. Well today I got the chance. My son and I made the short trip up there and Jeff gave us the deluxe tour. Mighty interesting process. The process requires skilled craftsmen at every station. There is opportuniuty to ruin the felt at all but the earliest step in the process. Also plenty of chances to get flesh ripped out by little spikes or burnt by steam and hot water. I did not see any disfigured employees, so I figure they know what they are doing.

If Jeff is reading this, Thanks bunches. My son and I were both impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana