Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedoraFest IV

RBH

Bartender
I met Jeff from Winchest Hat Corp at FFIV. I told him I wanted to come by and see how the bodies were made. Well today I got the chance. My son and I made the short trip up there and Jeff gave us the deluxe tour. Mighty interesting process. The process requires skilled craftsmen at every station. There is opportuniuty to ruin the felt at all but the earliest step in the process. Also plenty of chances to get flesh ripped out by little spikes or burnt by steam and hot water. I did not see any disfigured employees, so I figure they know what they are doing.

If Jeff is reading this, Thanks bunches. My son and I were both impressed.

Here ya go... check it out.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?36343-Winchester-Hat-Corporation-Making-the-Felt
By the way.. I agree...Jeff is the best and a big HOWDY from Arkansas to you Jeff!!!

Thunderball

One of the Regulars
This is my Fedora Fest IV hat. It is the work of 2 master hatters. The bow was made by Mr. Art Fawcett and the hat was made by Major Mike Moore. A crossbreed. 100% beaver, 2-5/8" brim, center dent, the color is camel and the open crown height is about 6".
IMG_2252_1.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

Reactions: RBH

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great hat, TBall. Love the liner. I'll have to give Mike a call to suggest he use it in the first western he's making for me.

majormoore

Vendor
The one I will be using in yours is great also, its a old vintage cowgirl sitting on a fence.

Major Moore
Great hat, TBall. Love the liner. I'll have to give Mike a call to suggest he use it in the first western he's making for me.

EstherWeis

Vendor
What, when and where? Who knows, if I have time and I' sort of in de middle of planning a little trip to the other side of the pond.

This little revival gave me the opportunity to look through these photos again, many for the first time. FANTASTIC event, and it's time to reconvene!

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
If it's in Tennessee again, I'm in! If it's anywhere else, I'll try!

And maybe throw in an extra day to go to Kelso and visit Pritchard's Distillery. Mmmmmm....Rum!
I'm with Fruno: Tennessee would work for me too. And anyone driving down through the Bluegrass can meet up with me here for a quick Bourbon tour (my goddaughter works for Heaven Hill).

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking a Pacific NW event where we toured the custom hatters here. Do you have room for us Art?
I was thinking the same thing, Red! We live in a "hatters triangle," so to speak. Wine country, a few distilleries, more coffee shops and breweries per capita than anywhere in the US, and 4+ hatters within a few hours of each other.... and a few more up north in the Seattle area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana