Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

g.durand

One Too Many
Hangin' at the H3 Ranch bar after a day at the technical interchange meeting at Lockheed. This is a man who is happy and full of chicken fried steak and cold beer. I do like Texas, and love Ft. Worth.

Fruno, I spent many a day (as my Texas-born and raised father would have put it) in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area when I was growing up. Can't beat a beer with chicken fried steak topped off with a Resistol.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Took a hike with the wife and daughters to an old 1880s house and barn near our "farm" just outside the Mark Twain National Forest in south/central Missouri. The barn has held up better than the house. About a 7-mile loop, but very up and down. It was warm enough for a straw hat. In the house pic I'm holding a bird cage that I salvaged. About the only thing left in there.

24644416022_d76350701f_z.jpg

24135531723_308ced34c8_z.jpg

24762370115_5708e2d1c1_z.jpg

RJR

Took a hike with the wife and daughters to an old 1880s house and barn near our "farm" just outside the Mark Twain National Forest in south/central Missouri. The barn has held up better than the house. About a 7-mile loop, but very up and down. It was warm enough for a straw hat. In the house pic I'm holding a bird cage that I salvaged. About the only thing left in there.

24644416022_d76350701f_z.jpg

24135531723_308ced34c8_z.jpg

24762370115_5708e2d1c1_z.jpg
Its a shame to see those old timber frame structures lost.

Thanks for walking the trail with me. Mike, spot on... there are flash flood warning signs along the path. The wind force carrying sand through these narrow canyon walls was something unexpected too. Had a mouthful of sand at some points. On top of the mesa, the winds were very strong. Had to hold on to my old Stetson with two hands.

RJR

A short trip to Santa Fe allowed time for only one hike. Tent Rocks National Monument is a must see if you are in the area.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

These are taken with an iPhone. Imagine how amazing it looks in person.
Beautiful pics,thanks for sharing.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The Carnival of Verona is the oldest documented of an Italy mask
2qbexdd.jpg

486° Bacanal del Gnocco. Verona 5 Febbraio 2016
6tpti0.jpg

Papà del Gnocco is the king (sire) of Verona carnival.
It is represented as an old man, ruddy, and with a long white beard, brocade dress hazelnut and mantle, with a red tube to which they are attached rattles. Because it is considered the king of the Bacanal Gnoco, it has as a large golden scepter fork, where you stuck a lump of potato. Moves astride a mule (the dumplings are traditionally eaten seasoned with Pastissada, or horse stew). During the parade, he and his servants (the gobeti or "macaroni") dispenses candy for children and portions of dumplings for adults.
Born in the ancient district of San Zeno, he is traditionally elected from among its inhabitants.
During the Sunday election anyone can participate in the vote, obtaining as a reward a plate of gnocchi with tomato sauce

The parade of masks in the centre of Verona
149zczc.jpg

15d575g.jpg

The passed along the historical part of the town
1216gds.jpg

2w6baq9.jpg

Almost everyone wear a mask
dzxvrq.jpg

2gt2c76.jpg

Monica and me waiting for Papà del Gnocco king of the Carnival and town for four days
2nqfssz.jpg

Continued

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Carnival is led by a beneficial chairperson to bring comfort and aid to the poorer classes of the city and province.
m7azy0.jpg

Dating back to the late Middle Ages, the Carnival of Verona (the original name is Bacanal of Gnoco) traces its roots to the times of Thomas Da Vico, the sixteenth-century physician who left as a bequest the obligation to distribute annually to the district population San Zeno (where is the Basilica) food and feed.
2hyv587.jpg

In "Istoria Veronese" written by Girolamo Dalla Corte is said that because of devastating floods Adige (1520-1531) and of Charles V Lanzichenecchi raids fighting Francis I in Lombardy, the city of Verona was reduced to a unprecedented famine. Given the circumstances and the precariousness in sourcing raw materials, the "Pistori" (bakers) had raised their price control for the production of bread. There being scarce monetary resources to buy bread from the population and at the same time so little interest in producing the bread, the bakers decided to stop the production, not selling even one already ready. But June 18, 1531 the people rose in that of San Zeno, giving the assault on bakers and buying up bread and wheat. The general revolt was averted thanks to the intervention of some citizens, who at his own expense decided to contribute to the Refreshment of the poorest inhabitants of the neighborhood, in the number of twelve, and of the appointment.
ndllk2.jpg

2rglwsg.jpg

Tradition says that among the elect there was also the Da Vico, referred to as a "teacher and restorer" of the "Bacchanal of Dumpling", having his food distributed will (bread, wine, butter, etc.) To "sansenati".
23hnaco.jpg

A baby Papà del Gnocco
xqjbrt.jpg

5vvw45.jpg

In Piazza San Zeno there is a stone table: it is here that the poor were invited in the Friday before Lent, said "Venardi CONSOLAR" (Friday comforter). Adjacent is the small monument of Da Vico (died in 1531), whose epitaph reads: "Thomas Vicus Philosoph, Medicus et inter rarissimos praeclarus, here and in His Jussit if claudi lapidibus hoc asserens you vixi, Resurgam. Year MDXXXI"

5k4k94.jpg

The hat lost its position ;) due to jokes and confetti and jollification;)

So fantastic, Daniele! Someday I must share with you the short movie I made at carnival in Putignano, 2000 or 2001, I can't remember. A magical event. We visited the papier-maché workshop that produced most of the floats. I think they must begin work for the following year the day after the parade. Thank you for sharing these photos with us.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I really like Alan watch your movie on the Carnival of Putignano. Thank you!

Here in Verona the carts with papier-mâché masks are a fairly recent innovation.
The historical masks are elected in the poorest districts of the city and in each of them takes place a party with food distribution to all participants. From the suburbs and neighboring villages come in Verona, il vendri gnocolar, the representatives of the people and bring their tributes to Papà del Gnocco. The wagons were more animated by people characters then made of paper mache as in Putignano or in Viareggio.
The beauty of the Veronese Carnival are the festivals in the districts where the common people gather to dance, laugh and especially eating.

For all lovers of Italian food, especially the gnocchi, it is fair to say that before the America discovery they were not made with potatoes, but only with flour and water and topped with cheese and special occasions with the horse meat .
I have done a lot of photographic work in the 80 photo of this pleasure-loving tradition to which we have been educated from childhood because both adults and children dress up in mask at Veronese Carnival ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland