Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

As always on July 7. my son and I celebrated our mutual birthday (and my late dad's) in the World's second oldest amusement park, The Tivoli Gardens, together with my daughter in law, grand children and my youngest daughter.

It's really a picturesque old park, but I'm afraid I enjoy being with my family so much, I tend to forget to record the sceneries....
At least you have your priorities in order; the people you care about should always come first. And, as TropicalBob wrote above, happy birthdays!!!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the kind words, Guys :)

Yes, we love the place too, Bob. Shortly after my son was born, I started working in Tivoli. I was head sound engineer for five years plus two seasons later on - so it's the obvious place to celebrate the day for both of us.

Michael, we were actually three generations of boys, born that day! My first wife - my son's mother - then had our daughter on her birthday. It's a long story with a lot of words, but believe me, "plan" is not one of them!

If I sometimes come across as being a little strange, please bear with me ... I come from a weird family! :D

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Yes, we love the place too, Bob. Shortly after my son was born, I started working in Tivoli. I was head sound engineer for five years plus two seasons later on - so it's the obvious place to celebrate the day for both of us.

Michael, we were actually three generations of boys, born that day! My first wife - my son's mother - then had our daughter on her birthday. It's a long story with a lot of words, but believe me, "plan" is not one of them!

If I sometimes come across as being a little strange, please bear with me ... I come from a weird family! :D

WOW Ole ! Do you have ANY Idea the Odds of THAT !!! Its ASTRONOMICAL ! Looked like such a wonderful time , too . I love children . And better yet , they love me . I always hoped as a kid to grow up and be a person that kids liked , and enjoyed talking to , and loved being around , not a grump . That Prayer was answered , among many ! I know it was a Wonderful Birthday ! Thanks for sharing it .

Happy birthday to you and yours, Ole. Looks like a nice time.

Weird families are the best.

I knew we had more in common, Ole. In my weird collection of characters, we don't have three on one day, but we have three sets of two, each on one day. My younger brother and I share a b-day. My second two children share a b-day, and my beloved Mommy-in-law and her youngest sister share. Three of a kind does beat a pair, but what about multiple pairs? And can we measure weirdness? THAT could be a whole new thread, I'm sure.

Back to the thread topic, we were afield this weekend in Stowe, Vermont to check out the newly opened Alchemy Brewery. I covered my head with my trusty Royal Stetson.

Home to a hot new beer they're calling "Heady Topper," which is so popular that they had none to sell on Saturday (they had plenty of samples, though). Gotta go back on Tuesday!
DSC05748.jpg DSC05751.jpg A gift shop shout out to Dale!!! It wasn't a real sign, but a graphic repro.

We also went by an Elk farm a day or two earlier. Not related to the Elk's Club, but there was certainly a party atmosphere... Photoshop is magic! The second and third elk portrait are the SAME photo, but with the wire containment removed. Did it myself, and I'm still amazed!

DSC05732.jpg DSC05734.jpg DSC05734b.jpg

Last edited:

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I knew we had more in common, Ole. In my weird collection of characters, we don't have three on one day, but we have three sets of two, each on one day. My younger brother and I share a b-day. My second two children share a b-day, and my beloved Mommy-in-law and her youngest sister share. Three of a kind does beat a pair, but what about multiple pairs? And can we measure weirdness? THAT could be a whole new thread, I'm sure.

Back to the thread topic, we were afield this weekend in Stowe, Vermont to check out the newly opened Alchemy Brewery. I covered my head with my trusty Royal Stetson.

Home to a hot new beer they're calling "Heady Topper," which is so popular that they had none to sell on Saturday (they had plenty of samples, though). Gotta go back on Tuesday!
View attachment 52944 View attachment 52945 A gift shop shout out to Dale!!! It wasn't a real sign, but a graphic repro.

We also went by an Elk farm a day or two earlier. Not related to the Elk's Club, but there was certainly a party atmosphere... Photoshop is magic!

View attachment 52947 View attachment 52948 View attachment 52949
Great pics Charlie! I loved Stowe. Beautiful little town.

tropicalbob

That's what keeps me coming back, Dane. Where else could I find other weirdos?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I just got back from an eleven day trip to Utah and Colorado. I won't post all the pics today, but a few at a time, one adventure at a time. First, the story of Balcony House, in Mesa Verde, Colorado. Mesa Verde is home to some 600 cliff dwellings dating back to 1200 AD. To get into Balcony House, you have to climb this very tall log ladder:

DSCN0546.jpg

Once at the top, you have to go thru some interesting passageways:

DSCN0549.jpg

DSCN0553.jpg

...to get to this beautiful cliff dwelling:

DSCN0558.jpg

DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

On the way out, more interesting passageways, designed for easy defense:

DSCN0569.jpg

This passage was so narrow that I could only go thru by...:

DSCN0575.jpg

..crawling on my left side:

DSCN0576.jpg

The second passageway wasn't so bad, but still made for easy defense against intruders:

DSCN0580_1.jpg

and then another log ladder to get up to the top of the cliff, and back to the Lodge for dinner:

DSCN0582.jpg

Mesa Verde is a magical place. I was hooked from my first trip there when I learned the Anasazi lived there for 800 yrs & have now been gone for 700 yrs, leaving food on the tables, grass mats on the floors & art on their walls when they left. Balcony House, Cliff Palace, & Spruce Tree House are among my favorites. They say there are hundreds of smaller sites along the Wetherill Mesa that have never been excavated or explored because of lack of funds.
Can you imagine what it must have been like to have been old man Wetherill riding along the canyon rim & looking across to see Cliff Palace for the first time?

Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

tropicalbob

You're a better man than I am, Blackthorn. As I was just looking at the photos I was counting up my phobias: fear of heights, small spaces, etc. What also occurred to me was the extent humans will go to in order to protect themselves from their fellow humans. When I sailed around the Baltic some years ago I couldn't get over how every city had a fortress, usually round and with multilple cannon, at the mouth of its harbor.

RJR

I just got back from an eleven day trip to Utah and Colorado. I won't post all the pics today, but a few at a time, one adventure at a time. First, the story of Balcony House, in Mesa Verde, Colorado. Mesa Verde is home to some 600 cliff dwellings dating back to 1200 AD. To get into Balcony House, you have to climb this very tall log ladder:

DSCN0546.jpg

Once at the top, you have to go thru some interesting passageways:

DSCN0549.jpg

DSCN0553.jpg

...to get to this beautiful cliff dwelling:

DSCN0558.jpg

DSCN0561.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

DSCN0565.jpg

On the way out, more interesting passageways, designed for easy defense:

DSCN0569.jpg

This passage was so narrow that I could only go thru by...:

DSCN0575.jpg

..crawling on my left side:

DSCN0576.jpg

The second passageway wasn't so bad, but still made for easy defense against intruders:

DSCN0580_1.jpg

and then another log ladder to get up to the top of the cliff, and back to the Lodge for dinner:

DSCN0582.jpg
Great pics,thanks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL