Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Yamahana

One Too Many
4” vented Sunbody, the Cadillac for working AZ desert fields. (IMHO)
IMG_5132.jpeg

My partners today, my youngest grandson spending a week with Papa. My Aussies are sporting their summer time haircuts.

IMG_5118.jpeg

Best I could do for a group photo.
IMG_5123.jpeg

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I wanted to escape the heat so I headed east for a Sunday afternoon drive. I hoped to get close to Tioga Pass (9,945 feet), but the road is closed below the 7,000 foot level. I’ve heard the snow pack at the pass is still in excess of ten feet.

View attachment 528151 View attachment 528152 View attachment 528153 View attachment 528154 View attachment 528155

And this photo from Yosemite National Park from June 22nd:

View attachment 528156
My son and I road tripped over Tioga Pass and through Yosemite last fall in the Mustang, what a beautiful place!

Victoria, British Columbia. I’m on my way to Campbell River and my wife is staying at my sister’s vacation house on a small island off of Sydney. Hope to post fish photos later…Campbell River is called the salmon capitol of the world.

IMG_2352.jpeg

The view from my sister’s dining room and the front porch. Having family with money is almost as good as having it yourself…almost. :)

IMG_2380.jpeg
IMG_2382.jpeg

Mighty44

One Too Many
Victoria, British Columbia. I’m on my way to Campbell River and my wife is staying at my sister’s vacation house on a small island off of Sydney. Hope to post fish photos later…Campbell River is called the salmon capitol of the world.

View attachment 535573

The view from my sister’s dining room and the front porch. Having family with money is almost as good as having it yourself…almost. :)

View attachment 535574 View attachment 535575
That is pretty spectacular—and the hat looks good, too. Enjoy-hope you catch your dinner!

Woodtroll

One Too Many

View attachment 535573

View attachment 535574 View attachment 535575

The Pacific Northwest is a beautiful place! Hope your fishing trip is a great one!

The Shoe

One Too Many
The Kurobe dam was an incredible feat of engineering for postwar Japan. It was built far away from everything. The construction of tunnels, cable cars and ropeways for the transportation of construction materials for the dam was a huge effort in itself. We drove for close to an hour from Toyama city to Tateyama station, took a cable car, a bus, a trolley bus through a narrow tunnel through a mountain, a ropeway, and another cable car.
First, the view from the bus.
IMG_0698.jpeg

The tunnel through the mountain.
IMG_0700.jpeg

Construction was set back by huge amounts of underground water that started pouring in.
IMG_0701.jpeg

The view from the ropeway. The ropeway itself is unique in Japan and rare in the world, as it has no pylons along its entire span.
IMG_0704.jpeg

At 186m, the dam is the highest in Japan. Apparently, the variable radius arch dam is a rare shape for a dam.
Etsuko wore a Toucan Collection hat for the occasion.
IMG_1223.jpeg

I wore my Sunbody Teardrop.
IMG_1224.jpeg

The construction cost 171 lives.
IMG_1401.jpeg
IMG_1402.jpeg

We didn’t come across any of these fellas.
IMG_1403.jpeg

IMG_1404.jpeg

River, while you’re ramblin’ you can do some work for me.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The Kurobe dam was an incredible feat of engineering for postwar Japan. It was built far away from everything. The construction of tunnels, cable cars and ropeways for the transportation of construction materials for the dam was a huge effort in itself. We drove for close to an hour from Toyama city to Tateyama station, took a cable car, a bus, a trolley bus through a narrow tunnel through a mountain, a ropeway, and another cable car.
First, the view from the bus.
View attachment 538815
The tunnel through the mountain.
View attachment 538826
Construction was set back by huge amounts of underground water that started pouring in.
View attachment 538824
The view from the ropeway. The ropeway itself is unique in Japan and rare in the world, as it has no pylons along its entire span.
View attachment 538827
At 186m, the dam is the highest in Japan. Apparently, the variable radius arch dam is a rare shape for a dam.
Etsuko wore a Toucan Collection hat for the occasion.
View attachment 538831
I wore my Sunbody Teardrop.
View attachment 538832
The construction cost 171 lives.
View attachment 538835 View attachment 538836
We didn’t come across any of these fellas. View attachment 538838
View attachment 538839
River, while you’re ramblin’ you can do some work for me.
Do you know what kind of bear they have in Japan? Anything unique or just an Asian black variety?

The Shoe

One Too Many
Do you know what kind of bear they have in Japan? Anything unique or just an Asian black variety?
In the area where I live, and also in Toyama, it’s the Asian Black, known here as tsuki no waguma, literally the moon bear, because of the white crescent moon shape on its chest.
Up north in Hokkaido, there are Ezo higuma, a variety of brown bear, that can grow pretty big and be pretty scary. “By some estimates there are around 3,000 brown bears in Japan, all of them in Hokkaido. This is about four times the number of grizzly bears found in the continental United States.”
I’m just reading that the worst attack was in 1915, when one bear killed some people, the returned the next day during pre-funeral rituals to attack again, resulting in a total of seven dead and three injured.

The Shoe

One Too Many
How do Japanese, who have no local population of men with rifles, handle such a situation?
For the most part, they do their best to avoid attacks by being sensible, using sprays and attaching bells to their clothes or backpacks. When attacks do happen, people tend to get somewhat mauled and bitten, but usually not killed. Occasionally you hear stories of people fighting them off, like the man in his seventies a couple of years ago, who punched a bear in its face, and only suffered minor injuries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner