Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I recently visited the refugee camps in Central African Republic, where many thousands of people were killed in the last two years, although it never made news here in the US:

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

the white flag on the front of the vehicle gave us a better chance of avoiding being shot by both sides:

IMG_3600.jpg

a dugout canoe on the Ubangie River:
IMG_3764.jpg

A boabab tree?
P3122549.jpg

jkingrph

Practically Family
Great pictures Blackthorn. My only experience was seeing a Palestinian camp near the Dead sea back in 1974. A year later I was stationed down at Eglin AFB, at Ft. Walton, Fla and we had a Vietnamese refugee camp set up, literally a tent city. I took a couple of my pharmacy tech's out one weekend and worked it so we could relieve some of the folks over from England AFB in La. who were tasked with manning it. We had refugees from every walk of life there, physicians, lawyers, and some of much lower education levels who had worked with or for the US forces there.. The set up was ok, the tents were erected over raised plywood floors, so little or no mud when it rained.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, 1mach1, hatophile, alan, and dh66 for your kind words. It was a very meaningful trip.

Jkingrph, that is very interesting!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Man, these are all incredible, from Africa to Italy to Suriname and all the springtime blooms in Portugal too! Amazing. Thanks for sharing, guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Not a fedora nor a field but today I had to cross the "25 de Abril" bridge in a direction I rarely do.

The road passes below the "Aqueduto das Águas Livres" in Alcantara valley. This aqueduct was build to solve water supply to Lisbon.
20150412c.jpg

20150412d.jpg

Entering the suspension brigde "25 de Abril"
20150412e.jpg

20150412f.jpg

20150412g.jpg

The "Cristo-Rei" monument in the Tagus south bank
20150412h.jpg

And in "Coina" this palace in ruins built by the Trash King ("Rei do Lixo"). This man had this nickname because we was the one that owned all trash made in Lisbon in the start of the XX century. The tower as for him to see all his property.
20150412i.jpg

Scott Gillin

New in Town
Forgot to share this one. We stayed in the interior of Suriname with the Saramaccan people. Some friends are missionaries there. They have such an interesting culture. The Dutch brought them as slaves from Africa and they escaped into the jungle and retained their African culture but it's a blend of different groups from Africa. This is a big kapok tree in one of their villages.
Screenshot_2015-04-07-20-46-29_1_zpsodz6m3ny.jpg

Very cool SG! Looks like an awesome visit. I did a little reading on Suriname after your first couple of posts. Lots of interesting history there.

javadave61

Practically Family
Forgot to share this one. We stayed in the interior of Suriname with the Saramaccan people. Some friends are missionaries there. They have such an interesting culture. The Dutch brought them as slaves from Africa and they escaped into the jungle and retained their African culture but it's a blend of different groups from Africa. This is a big kapok tree in one of their villages.
Screenshot_2015-04-07-20-46-29_1_zpsodz6m3ny.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I've gotta get out more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum