Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Fantastic, fun-filled photos, fellas! Dale, I did the same look-up. Amazing what we share and learn around here, isn't it?!
Sure enough, Charlie. I also did a little reading up on the Carnation Revolution, and the bridge named after it in Lisbon. Thanks Joao.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Forgot to share this one. We stayed in the interior of Suriname with the Saramaccan people. Some friends are missionaries there. They have such an interesting culture. The Dutch brought them as slaves from Africa and they escaped into the jungle and retained their African culture but it's a blend of different groups from Africa. This is a big kapok tree in one of their villages.
Screenshot_2015-04-07-20-46-29_1_zpsodz6m3ny.jpg
Fantastic pic, Scott! And that's great info about this people group. I had never heard this before, now I want to go there!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Glad you all liked.
Already crossed this bridge on foot and only then you can see how massive the bridge is.
I don't know if you can cross Golden Gate bridge on foot, but this one you can't.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A short trip to Venice

Thursday we were in a quick visit to Venice to see the exhibition of Henri Rousseau said "the Douanier".
The first sight on Piazza San Marco 10.45 A.M. Crowds to enter the Basilica.
2lm298i.jpg

The time for the trip was pretty short and so on a summer day we arrived by train to Venice in mid-morning.
v3qgaw.jpg

The walk from the station to the Ducal Palace where there is an exhibition served to understand, by the amount of tourists, that the season is in full swing.
30acm5l.jpg

Our route was around the Palazzo Ducale so there are only images in its vicinity.
adbxia.jpg

I chose to visit a Sunbody hat blocked by Mike at Northwest Hats very similar to that worn by gondoliers in full swing.
The Palazzo Ducale is full renewed and it shines in a so bright morning
2i8vwqc.jpg

I took also :eek: the tipical tourist icon pictures
2hgs0nt.jpg

Our tour ended in a very old Venetian tavern with traditional dishes, out from the crowds of tourists.
2m3600n.jpg

Then a wonderful walk in deserted streets brought us back to the train for the return in Verona.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
More on Venezia

A few notes still on Venezia, our capital from 1405 to 1797 of which we speak a variant west of the Venetian language.
6yntw8.jpg

The City of Venice has recently redone the place names of streets in a strange language that is a stupid Italian translation of place names in the Venetian.
2njhxfs.jpg

Almost all of those on hand were "corrected" by the citizens, but not too high to be able to get to erase the double consonants that do not exist in the Venetian language.
2uyokmd.jpg

So I was in the street of the hatters (Calle del Cappeller) reflecting the importance of the art of hatters in the Republic of Venice.
2h6x1zn.jpg

This is an historical testimony: "From a law of the seventeenth century we see that our fathers distinguished hats in various qualities, that is," of castor, castor than half, of Agnino of Spain, of Gambello, Agnino of Padua " wool and more or less ordinary. The Hatters were formerly united to Merciai, but it broke away in 1676. They gathered in the church of St. Leo the altar of St. James, and there also had grave with the inscription: DOM Art de Cappelleri 1678. then restored in 1736.
23m8lrq.jpg

The street name of the hatters, wrote in an "unknown language" has become my avatar, although its real name is "Cale del Capeler"

Fantastic, Daniele!! We're not accustomed to seeing you in such a wide brim. PERFECT for the visit to such a beautiful place on such a beautiful day!

Afield? Maybe not, but definitely astray from my normal haunts... We attended a concert last night at Mohican Sun's "Wolf Den," a tiny venue voted number one small venue in the country, (voted by who, I don't know) and I can see why. Not a bad seat in the house, including the area by the bar where a lot of folks stood around undulating to the beat with a great view of the entire concert.

So who did we see? TOWER of POWER, a group my wife followed back in the day (they've been together since 1968, 47 years, and the core is still there). There were a LOT of OLD people in attendance! The band...

Steve (Doc) Kupka ALWAYS wears his lid(s) onstage.

Dressed in decorum, my NOS 100% pure virgin double-knit polyester trousers. New in 1978, and still with tags! I can only show one leg; they're THAT amazing. I received more than one positive comment, to the dismay of my wife...

Our entourage, including the sisters... (VS Blue Smoke lid, a perfect color for a place the still allows smoking indoors, which did seem strangely appropriate).

Love TOP and the Wolf's Den is a great venue. I promoted a few TOP shows in the '80's when Pepe was still in the band. They are TIGHT! w a great section.

Tight is right, Bob! As a matter of fact, the gentleman w/ the pencil mustache was the lead singer and keyboardist of a Connecticut band for 26 years, (called "Fantasy") and TIGHT was the word he used to sum it all up at the end of the night. Must be a Connecticut word?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Tight is right, Bob! As a matter of fact, the gentleman w/ the pencil mustache was the lead singer and keyboardist of a Connecticut band for 26 years, (called "Fantasy") and TIGHT was the word he used to sum it all up at the end of the night. Must be a Connecticut word?

Ha. Yes, in Ct and used alot when talkin abt TOP!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I am very glad you enjoyed the small photo report about la Serenissima Venezia.
24oavjc.jpg

It was easy to get your benevolence, Venezia is always a popular destination for many inhabitants of the world.
It is hardly hear the Venetian language in the streets and squares, very few residents remain and tourists outnumber them in large numbers and the town is so changed in the last twenty years

Charlie I'm happy to see you organizer of musical events .....you have the phisique du role et aussi le chapeau :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum