Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras at the inaguration

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ummm...I like cowboy hats:eek:

I like cowboy boots too[huh]

I have been accused of liking a particular public person.

I still like cowboy hats

I still like cowboy boots

I still do not give a rat's butt;) lol

just_me

Practically Family
Irish4 said:
I find the hypocrisy in this lounge by some members to be maddening.Your little innuendo's about conservatives,i.e. not wearing a cowboy or western style hat because it might link you to a certain group or groups?.What exactly is a conservative fedora,in Joe Lieberman's closet?we know that Mr. Lieberman sided with a certain Texan?.I guess if you are a liberal democrat you can post what you like,due to the fact you are part of the good old boy network who have a million post here?so go ahead and play your politics here and ban me from the lounge if you wish.
I can't speak for the original poster, but when I read his comment about Lieberman, I didn't connect it with W at all. I think he was saying that because JL is an orthodox Jew, he probably has conservative (as in not flasy) fedoras in his closet and he couldn't understand why JL would wear a baseball cap. Plain black fedoras are de rigueur for many orthodox Jews.

carter

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
:D
I love Texas.. this is the first year in about 8 that my wife and I havent gone to Texas in January. We love it and really missed it this year.
Where we usally go it was about 80 today compared to 47 here!
The forecast says it's going to be 81 in Dallas tomorrow. :)
Lefty said:
What's special about Texas in January? (or is it just a family thing?)
What's so special about Texas in January is that folks are just as friendly as they are any other month. Heck, you don't even have to be family. :)

RBH said:
I have a friend from around Upper Sandusky... he's told me about such weather.
My grandfather was born in Upper Sandusky. I've always found this odd as Sandusky is considerably north of Upper Sandusky. Must be an Ohio thing. ;) :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
just_me said:
when I read his comment about Lieberman, I didn't connect it with W at all. I think he was saying that because JL is an orthodox Jew, he probably has conservative (as in not flasy) fedoras in his closet and he couldn't understand why JL would wear a baseball cap. Plain black fedoras are de rigueur for many orthodox Jews.
:arated:

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I didn't watch the event even though it was televised over here (not sure why though). I saw a later report about Teddy Kennedy being admitted to hospital which showed him wearing a fedora. It struck me as ironic that he was wearing one when his brother JFK was credited with ending the fashion for wearing hats.

Another thing of interest was the number of band members wearing earmuffs as part of the headwear while marching

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I've always found US politics confusing.

Can someone explain the political meaning of a Jewish politician (I assume he is a politician) wearing a baseball cap instead of a fedora?

There is a synagogue just down the road from my home so I get the part about strict Jewish people wearing fedora and fedora-style hats

Just wondering

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
We're having a heatwave around here, and it was in the low 20s today - much lower with the wind-chill. Last week was all single digits, so mid-40s sounds pretty nice.

Its 7.30 afternoon time and about 30C outside...heatwave ???? ...You want heatwave??....we got heatwave!!!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Carter, you very gentleman looking with your cap (I add, "and other pics I've seen").

I ain't no Texas political philosophy fan, but today the Belgian weather forecast mentioned "rain" and "wind", so this morning ... I put on my good old Bailey cowboy hat. That hat does NOT fly away, and I don't care a hoot if it gets soakin' wet, like it's been many, many times in the past and none the worse for it.

Sometimes, when I wear that hat, I get bashful. Especially when, in some street, some young north-african ethnic machos quietly but audibly call out "cowboy" behind my back. I don't think it's meant to be a compliment, from them. I know I'm not a cowboy. And I don't stick to American politics through thick and thin (no way!).

But I do, at times, enjoy the immense privilege of wearing those fantastic hats. And I know, by and large, people in Texas to be real nice people.

And that's my good deed for today. Paz!

Pablo

Macheath

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Try this NYT link. You can see the whole bunch (behind the President) in detail, zoomable. I found the red hat guy and several others.

I'm fairly new to fedoras and have always been pretty conservative when it comes to color, but I just realized that I love how that red fedora looks. I might just have to purchase a ("a", in this case, denotes several) fedora in a brighter color.

Thanks, Scotrace, for the link.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MikeBravo said:
I didn't watch the event even though it was televised over here (not sure why though). I saw a later report about Teddy Kennedy being admitted to hospital which showed him wearing a fedora. It struck me as ironic that he was wearing one when his brother JFK was credited with ending the fashion for wearing hats.

Another thing of interest was the number of band members wearing earmuffs as part of the headwear while marching

I think JFK may have been a closet fedora man:eek:

JohnFKennedy15.jpg

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by scotrace
Try this NYT link. You can see the whole bunch (behind the President) in detail, zoomable. I found the red hat guy and several others.

Thanks for the link. That interactive picture is very cool. What's up with all those people wearing baseball caps up there on the platform? Are they not aware they are at a presidential inauguration? Perhaps I expect too much.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
tracyam said:
Thanks for the link. That interactive picture is very cool. What's up with all those people wearing baseball caps up there on the platform? Are they not aware they are at a presidential inauguration? Perhaps I expect too much.

Some of the African American men wearing the baseball caps were part of the original Tuskegee Airman of World War II. Those were baseball caps signifying that great honor. I don't know why Lieberman would be so crass as to wear a UofCT ballcap to the inauguration but I think it is okay for the pilots to wear their caps. It is amazing they are still with us to see this historic day.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
Some of the African American men wearing the baseball caps were part of the original Tuskegee Airman of World War II. Those were baseball caps signifying that great honor. ... I think it is okay for the pilots to wear their caps. It is amazing they are still with us to see this historic day.
:arated: During WWII they earned more than 744 Air Medals and Clusters, more than 100 Flying Crosses, 14 Bronze Stars, eight Purple Hearts, a Silver Star and a Legion of Merit.
photo01-tuskegee.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MikeBravo said:
I didn't watch the event even though it was televised over here (not sure why though).
The U.S. presidential inauguration is of global interest because the president is the de facto leader of the free world.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
The U.S. presidential inauguration is of global interest because the president is the de facto leader of the free world.
Huh, that's going a bit far! :D

But, I listened to Obama's speech and he seems to be the right man to restore US back onto the map of the free world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL