Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras, first decade of the 20th Century

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Returning from work 1904

Westinghouse Employees
westretr.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the amazing finds you've been posting in this and other threads. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Fedora persists in same form

A look forward.
1930 Wholesale Catalog
4796795894_d5af0a964e_b.jpg

The hat not just the crease persists in the professionals perspective.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk said:
A look forward.
1930 Wholesale Catalog
4796795894_d5af0a964e_b.jpg

The hat not just the crease persists in the professionals perspective.
One might infer a continuing linkage between the use of the term "fedora" and the term "Alpine." Note the other hat in the ad isn't called a fedora, even though we might view it as one.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well, it does specify "curled," as if they offer both curled and uncurled Fedoras. I find this eye-opening, as what we think of as the Fedora is pretty much an uncurled brim by 1930.

Brad

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The posts here have made me think that most of the labels we use to distinguish hats weren't commonly applied to them until about the time people stopped wearing them. Generally speaking, a topper may have been just a "hat" until the derby took over, which may have been just a "hat" until the soft hat took over, which may have been just a "hat" until people quit wearing hats.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Well, it does specify "curled," as if they offer both curled and uncurled Fedoras. I find this eye-opening, as what we think of as the Fedora is pretty much an uncurled brim by 1930.

Brad
This same catalog usually puts the words "new" and "snap brim" together for such models. The above hat was the only usage of the word "Fedora"

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
The posts here have made me think that most of the labels we use to distinguish hats weren't commonly applied to them until about the time people stopped wearing them. Generally speaking, a topper may have been just a "hat" until the derby took over, which may have been just a "hat" until the soft hat took over, which may have been just a "hat" until people quit wearing hats.

They were using "Porkpie" for the telescope hat crease in the 19th Century at least[huh] (NOT a type of Fedora)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
This same catalog usually puts the words "new" and "snap brim" together for such models. The above hat was the only usage of the word "Fedora"

That's been my experience, too, in research.

Brad

rlk said:
They were using "Porkpie" for the telescope hat crease in the 19th Century at least[huh] (NOT a type of Fedora)

Side note: When I mentioned "Porkpie" crease to a German hatter they called it a "Franconian" crease. This is the crease you see on traditional Franconian soft velour hats.

That model name has been around for a LOoooong time, M. Sorry if I missed (or simply can't recall) your lid, but would you be so kind as to post pics of it, inside and out, of course?! You have really piqued my interest!!

An extra note of interest, maybe... Here is the current state of the retail location of Lampson and Hubbard (92 Bedford St.)

Technical difficulties.... but the space is still there, with the number on the door. I'm trying to get a screen shot, but will need to find another way. For now, you'll just have to trust me. It's still there!
1x1.gif

Last edited:
That model name has been around for a LOoooong time, M. Sorry if I missed (or simply can't recall) your lid, but would you be so kind as to post pics of it, inside and out, of course?! You have really piqued my interest!!
I posted pictures some time ago.....the hat is an OOOOOOOLD one with an EARLY "the Fray" stamp on the headband.....early Stetson marking from Philadelphia.....should be able to find my post....
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW