Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feds bought me a fed!

Smyat

One of the Regulars
So I finally decide on an Akubra Federation to round out my collection. I wanted a tall-crown fed in medium gray, and there aren't too many to choose from. (Would have liked to have a Fed Deluxe, but as you all know it's not available in gray any more.)

So I place the order with Hats Direct. Go to collect my mail. There's my first check for federal jury duty time... just about covers the new lid.

Nothing like having the feds buy you a fed, eh? :D

Edward

Bartender
Hmmn, jury duty, eh? I'm sure a lot of folks wouldn't be so keen to get out of it if they knew they could get a nice hat out of it. ;)

I'd love to do jury duty.... as my degrees are in law and I work in that sector (albeit on the academic side), I always used to be exempt, though I gather they changed the rules on that in recent years. I've never yet been called, though - I'd love to be, though. Maybe I'm just odd, but i always loved watching the courts at work.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Edward, I'm sure it's the same in the UK as it is in the US. They tend to call people who DON'T want to serve on juries. So, if you really want to serve on a jury, the way to do it is to convince yourself, and everybody else, that you really don't. :rolleyes:

Starius

Practically Family
One of my best friends (who is very politically outspoken) hasn't voted in any election for years because prior to doing so, he was called to jury duty 3 times within the span of 2 years. He got so fed up with jury duty he just simply stopped voting to get his name out of the jury selection pool.

I'd certainly do my civic duty for a hat though... ;)

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Actually, gents, this is the first time I've been called. I've had many around me called for the more common County jury duty, which usually translates to one in-person check-in and then a week of waiting by the phone.

What I got, after forty-mumble years (almost 30 of which I've been a registered voter with the same address, note) was a long federal GRAND jury questionnaire. I must have flunked, because about three months later I got a general jury call for the federal courts.

It's been interesting so far. I attended two days and was called to two pools - didn't get called on the first, got excused for conflict of interest on the second. I missed out on the call for a major, headline case. But the calendar is quiet this month and I've had two weeks off now. I have to call in this evening to see about next week - and my 30 day term is running out. If I get snagged for a multi-week trial towards the end of it, I'll be unhappy. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt