Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some advice please for next lid purchase...

addison

One of the Regulars
I recommend getting away from Akubra and experiencing what else is out there

In principle I really agree with you.
In the long run, I'll definitely build my modest collection out of more than just Akubras...but I may not make that leap on this purchase...we'll see as I sort out what my options are.
I will one day own some cool vintage stuff and I really look forward to it!
It seems like there's not much love for Stetson...seems the general opinion is that they don't live up to their hype.

makitright

One of the Regulars
Reason I ask is the bigger you are the pricier the vintage. I was hoping you would have said 7 or 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 - then I would have said buy vintage because I think you can get something of quality for $200 or less. Mind you lately pricing has been getting up there even on the smaller sizes.

DO NOT buy any modern production Stetson period. Really only their Excellent Quality felts are worth talking about - and those sell for over $300 at their starting point - get custom at that price level.

Ask TFL members if any have have a 7 3/8 vintage that they can let go for your preferred budget.

Reason I ask is the bigger you are the pricier the vintage. I was hoping you would have said 7 or 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 - then I would have said buy vintage because I think you can get something of quality for $200 or less. Mind you lately pricing has been getting up there even on the smaller sizes.

DO NOT buy any modern production Stetson period. Really only their Excellent Quality felts are worth talking about - and those sell for over $300 at their starting point - get custom at that price level.

Ask TFL members if any have have a 7 3/8 vintage that they can let go for your preferred budget.

I will sing the praises of the Royal Deluxe line, too. I own a Stestonian and a Racine. Both excellent lids. You can pick up a Stetsonian from DelMonico for under $200, especially if they're running a sale.

I would suggest a Northwest Hats or Gannon custom rabbit for aroun that kinda coin.
Yes, both these hatters are at the low end of the custom hat price scale. I have a Gannon and multiple NW Hats (as well as multiple other customs at much higher price points and I love them all!) and both of these hatters offer IMHO great hats and deliver great value. Don't get too caught up in the beaver versus rabbit.....both felts make great hats in the hand of a good hatter.
You cannot beat a custom hat. I get great satisfaction wearing a hat in a colour, trim and proportion that I selected.

Having said that I was fortunate to pick up three New Old Stock hats on the Bay in the past few weeks for about 40 cents on the dollar. One a sample custom hat production as a show item and another Biltmore OR clone. The third a new show sample Stetsonian. So if you have patience and the time to search there are bargains to be had out there that will allow you to stretch the "hat budget."

I will sing the praises of the Royal Deluxe line, too. I own a Stestonian and a Racine. Both excellent lids. You can pick up a Stetsonian from DelMonico for under $200, especially if they're running a sale.
I love my Stetsonian. Picked it up on The Bay after the great reviews here in the Lounge. The reviewers were bang on, it is a great felt and is my nicest "mass production" hat.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Got a beauty $90 Stetsonian from the Hatco/Resistol outlet. So yes, bargains are out there if you look and can wait...
Delmonico's frequently has 15% off sales so do look into the Stetsonian from Delmonico as an alternative.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Up until now I've pretty much stayed with a few good straws (because of where I live) and three Akubras I use for rain and travel, but, like Moon, I've been getting the urge to branch out. So I just ordered an OR from Tim over at Alley Kat Hat Co. He's been doing some very cool OR's lately, and a nicer and more knowledgeable guy would be hard to find.

addison

One of the Regulars
Got a beauty $90 Stetsonian from the Hatco/Resistol outlet. So yes, bargains are out there if you look and can wait...
Delmonico's frequently has 15% off sales so do look into the Stetsonian from Delmonico as an alternative.

I signed up for Delmonico's emails...they do look like they could have some good deals, thanks!

Spend some time looking at the wonderful hats sported daily by Loungers on the "What hat are you wearing" thread. Lots of ideas on what to look for. Make notes and then start searching for your size. We have a moratorium on that whole "covet" commandment in those ten we are supposed to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy