Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Fridays feet..

image.jpg

Wolverine 1000 mile brown cxl .. Layer or two of work shop dust

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
The postman left these for me today.

. image.jpg

Semi-dress in brown

First time Whites owner.
First thoughts are these are really heavy and stiff, It's going to be awhile before these get broken in. I now understand the "arch ease" comments. I can feel it, but it's not too bad (yet.)

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Gentlemen, do White's boots run big? Just placed an order for the Centennial Hikers and mailed them a tracing of my feet and all the required measurements (instep, heel, length, etc). They measured me at a 9.5 FF (I'm usually an 11 EEE).
Any thoughts or experience with White's boots sizing? Thank you for any input.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Gentlemen, do White's boots run big? Just placed an order for the Centennial Hikers and mailed them a tracing of my feet and all the required measurements (instep, heel, length, etc). They measured me at a 9.5 FF (I'm usually an 11 EEE).
Any thoughts or experience with White's boots sizing? Thank you for any input.

I'm a pretty solid 10.5 and take a 10 in White's. Going down a 1/2 size seems pretty standard for White's, but down 1.5 sizes seems odd.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I'm similar to Grayland, 1/2 size down at the most, or even the same size. That said, 11EEE is a wide boot. Are you sure you weren't buying 11EEE because you couldn't get a smaller size in a wide enough width? How much room do your toes have between the end of the toes and front of the boot?

I will add that White's seems to sometimes be 1/2 size under when they read your foot tracings. You have to make the tracing with the same thickness of socks you'd wear with the boots, a writing instrument the same dimensions of a standard #2 pencil, hold the pencil straight vertically, and just trace around your foot, not push the pencil against your foot.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I wear an 11 wide in just about all brands that offer it. I opt for the 114E in New Balance running shoes.
You've got a point about the tracing possibly being off (I had my wife trace my feet and she probably traced my foot a bit too closely). Going down 1.5 sizes seems extreme. I will contact them to double-check the measurements and fit/sizing.
Thanks guys.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Yup, if you push the pencil against your foot, it will affect how White's reads the sizing. You always have the option of re-tracing and sending it in.

I do have to laugh because I had my wife do the tracing several times. If I ever have to do it again I will find some friend who likes boots to do it to avoid the unpleasantries, shall we say, of asking my wife to keep doing it "until she gets it right". lol

IXL

One Too Many
I have several pairs of White's boots and always get a size 11D, which is a little wide, but the length seems good. I usually wear either 11 or 11-1/2 in most footwear.
Thor, dropping down that much seems a little severe.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I called them on the phone and we discussed the sizing issue and foot trace; they have my measurements in inches (foot length, instep, heel, ankle, etc) along with my tracings. They agreed to size up (slightly) to a 10FF and said angling the pencil or pushing it too tightly against one's foot during the trace would only alter the dimensions by 1/8" (a negligible amount, in their opinion). They said once the boots arrive if they aren't the right fit just let them know.

Delivery time is 6-8 weeks (currently closer to 6 week turnaround) so should receive the boots soon.

Thanks again for your advice fellas.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Boyo, welcome to the club!

My experience has been true to size on the standard SJ last, and 1/2 size down on the SD or #55 last

bretron

Call Me a Cab
No problemo, Thor! about the best value you're gonna get in a boot, though you can't overlook Wesco and Nick's ;)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Bretron, I am enjoying them...
@ Thor, sorry I didn't notice your question till today.. I recently received my first pair of Whites SD ( not custom made....ebay). I used the inside measurement to get the size right and I think I nailed it. I put a cloth tape inside a pair of boots whose fit I liked and used this number to match to the size listed by the seller, whitesriver, ( who I think are the Whites factory ebay presence). give that method a try. measure length and width of a good fitting pair and send them the info, or use the info to double check your tracing.
I wear a size 10 in wolverine 1000 mile, and the Oak Street Boot trench, but I am wearing a 10.5 in Whites..

image.jpg

Go figure...

Last edited:

nabottle

A-List Customer
@apap - Those Dress Packers are CLASSSS-EEEEEY! I love the bullhide texture combined with the sleek, dressy appearance. I have a pair of Vintage Packers and love the way they fit. Now........I may need a dressier version.

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
These wesco boots were a tuff cookie to break in, loads of bandaids and blisters and soaking them did the trick.
They are job masters with packer upper on the mp last, the height is 6 inch. Don't know how they measure them cause they are the same in height next to my semi dress from whites with lowered heel. If I knew this I would have choose 8 inch height.
Great boots.
IMG_1860_edited-1_zps2b9e59b4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1862_edited-1_zps0bb25b5d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1863_edited-1_zpsaec500bc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1864_edited-1_zps170b4491.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Paul,

Glad to hear you can rip the bandaids off! Seeing yours makes me anxious for mine all the more.

Still trying to figure out what dressing to use for my midsoles/heels, as I got mine unfinished also. (Thinking Fiebings Edge Kote in tan or natural....)

As for your comments on height; I hear ya. It's weird because Wesco 6" is the same height as White's 5", and Wesco 7" is the same as White's 6"

Check this out
B351CE26-1A93-403C-8F3D-37E37E68EFA6.jpg

E090CF62-B5C0-48A2-A3A6-3DDCA7FAC729.jpg

923E65FD-E270-4B17-83D3-10623DE6BA4C.jpg

9E2F96BD-26CE-4BF2-BD5B-6BB20B52E573.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925