Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Robert C, Feb 3, 2006.

1. dh66

dh66

2. Mercer

Mercer Familiar Face

Unlike Red Wing Heritage boots, which for most folks requires a lengthy break-in time (horror stories galore of sore feet, blisters, discomfort, etc.), these Thorogoods were comfortable right out of the box.

dh66 likes this.
  3. edmond

edmond Vendor

4. edmond

edmond Vendor

whites smoke jumpers from 2008

5. edmond

edmond Vendor

smoke jumpers from 2008

Attached Files:

6. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I’m a tad late to this party, seeing how it got started more than 15 years ago.

I kinda regretted buying the Iron Rangers a couple-three years ago. They weren’t uncomfortable to the point of being unwearable, but you wouldn’t wanna wear ’em all day. But I was (and am) a Red Wing loyalist. I still have, and occasionally wear, the Red Wing boots I bought new in 1974. And the Iron Rangers are the most traditional looking of the current offerings, and they’re made with union labor in the USA.

But now that I’ve worn them for shoveling snow and work around the grounds here and whatnot, now that the uppers have softened up some and the cork midsoles have taken the shape of my feet, they’ve become almost my daily drivers. They certainly seem to be every bit as bulletproof as that pair I bought 47 years ago. I won’t live to see if they last that long.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    GLewis, Mercer, dh66 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Nice packers! Who built them?

8. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

They are smoke jumpers, soft toe. Whites. Don’t think they are very old and the original owner understood the aesthetic of soft toe (which is a recent trend), just my guess, the original Vibram sole is only reasonably worn.

Woodtroll likes this.
  9. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Sorry, from the angle of your photos it sure looked like the tall leather stack and straight sloped heel of the packer, rather than the curved undercut logger heel of the Smokjumper, to me. Either way, nice boots!

10. pmx-berlin

pmx-berlin New in Town

My Red Wing Beckman 9416. My favorite boot at the moment.

EA0C0CC2-B959-454E-BAF4-B91ADA4AB7C9.jpeg

3056B0ED-0A11-489D-8A94-9E19F4E2B7AB.jpeg

4B446362-621F-46B0-9DB1-C68887935D3A.jpeg

11. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

The beckman is a really nice boot

12. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Aigle Quercy, Norwegian construction, not too bad for just 100,- bucks and indeed used for working around house and ground.

[​IMG]

Short Balding Guy and dh66 like this.
  13. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

^look very similar to Blundstones which i just got into this year and really love. Enough so that I now have 3 pair.

14. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

No question, designed without heititei-features, just for working, and Chelseas.
    Main difference is that the above are at least made in EU (Portugal) and not in far east or even in the land of smiles.

15. Mercer

Mercer Familiar Face

More photos of my new 8” Thorogoods . . . it’s official — I like them even better than my Red Wing 875s! And I love the way they feel when I pair them with Fox River military socks (tall and thick ones in beige and olive, like you saw in my previous post) or white Wigwam King Cotton tall athletic socks (also some of the thickest athletic socks I’ve ever seen — which is what I’m wearing in these photos here).

45000286-EF67-43BD-B9B3-2FC96B1D5ED9.jpeg 178992D1-1460-43CD-AAEC-C506A7197FA4.jpeg

16. DaveProc

DaveProc Call Me a Cab

Iron Rangers at Lake Winnipesaukee today.
    20210420_150814.jpg

17. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

Alden’s after a walk on the beach

Attached Files: