Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

andy richards

Practically Family
These boots are offered almost everyday on the Dutch internet marketplace www.marktplaats.nl . There are some on sale right now. Price vary from $ 15,- up to $ 60,-. There are some on sale in size 8,5 , 9 and 10 right now. No size 13 at the moment, but I will keep an eye on things. If I can be of any help, just pm me.
cheers,
Andy

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Whats the sizings like Andy? are they generous/wide enough for your size and a thick-ish sock, I am generally a size 8 1/2 but on occassion a 9 usually in Italian shoes which can be narrow.
I had a pair virtually identical years ago that I loaned to my son's mate for paintballing and they never came back!

andy richards

Practically Family
Sizing is european and feels exact to me. I wear a size 9 US or 43 EU and they feel true to me. These boots come in normal width and wide width. I think the size 8,5 UK should be the same as 9 US or 43 EU.

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Kyboots,
Will keep an eye on things. Here some on sale right now:
http://verzamelen.marktplaats.nl/mi...7DyfySOE=&fta_ind=61&fs=1&thumb_click=1#photo

http://verzamelen.marktplaats.nl/mi...fn3+EckDq&fta_ind=14&fs=1&thumb_click=1#photo

http://verzamelen.marktplaats.nl/mi...Pzz9fvjmA&fta_ind=17&fs=1&thumb_click=1#photo

Here something completely different:

http://verzamelen.marktplaats.nl/mi...z8w+fBUMf&fta_ind=96&fs=1&thumb_click=1#photo

These are the old style army boots I could find right now on www.marktplaats.nl .
Sizing is EU so use a shoe size converter for UK, US, Jpn sizes.
Buying from a seller is very easy: just email the seller in the right collum "email de adverteerder" and simply sent him a message. Also you can find antiques, houses, vintage clothing, art deco etc on this marketplace.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers,
Andy

Peacoat

Bartender
No experience with this particular boot, but Red Wings are all I have bought for the past 12 years. Correction, I did buy a couple of pair of motorcycle boots until I realized RW made those also. Most comfortable and long wearing boots I have owned.

nevadapd

Familiar Face
I have a pair of those and another similar pair in black leather (6-inch mocs). They're excellent and I think they're pretty much made (in America) the way they used to make 'em - old-school and solidly built. The ones you listed are a pretty good match for my Aero tan steerhide cafe racer.

heboil

New in Town
Red Wing Iron Rangers in snow or ice

Hi all. Second posted topic... and again it is a Red Wing question. I am very happy with the 875s I decided to keep (thanks for the words of encouragement to initially help get over the sore feet). I am now looking at picking up a pair of Iron Rangers in black. My concern now isn't in sizing, nor is it in the color. I am just worried about the sole in snow and ice. Here in Canada, I can have 3+ months of snow and ice. I wouldn't wear these boots when I would be shoveling or going sledding, but I would like to wear them potentially a fair chunk of the time (most of my time spent indoors...travelling by car). Are these death traps on the ice and snow? I have seen the odd post about them being bad, but to be honest, there haven't been many posts pertaining to this topic. I am sure many people have them in snowy climates. I am just curious as to the experiences of the masses. I would guess that this sole is not much different than any leather sole under the same conditions. I am also looking at the Red Wing Beckmans, but the Iron Ranger just looks a little more to what I am looking for.

TIA.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
heboil, the Iron Ranger's sole is rather slippery on ice and snow. The sole' surface will roughen a bit; however, it will remain a sole without subtantial profile. I would thoroughly recommend the Beckman models with their Roccia sole. Both will require quite a bit of breaking in, perhaps even more so than the Moc Toe.
For comparison, the Moc Toes with their off-white crepe sole do have some grip - a lot more than the Iron Ranger.
For adverse conditions in winter there is also the Moc Toe version with the Vibram lug sole, as an alternative to the Beckman models.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The last time I fell on ice I was wearing Iron Rangers! One second I was walking, the next I was flat on my back doing my dead cockroach imitation. I did love them, but you had to be carefull on snow and ice.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe I'm speaking too soon, and goodness forbid I jinx myself but...

I purchased my Iron Rangers in the dead of an Iowa winter with two feet of snow piled up and plenty of ice...

...and I have yet to fall, or have any traction problems. I guess it depends on where you're walking, how you're walking, maybe how fast you're walking, etc. I haven't had any troubles. In fact, I was more concerned with making sure I sealed up the leather for the inevitable salt/slurry mixture with which they would come into contact. [huh]

I guess to each their own. I find the boot to be excellent all around and I'm darn glad I picked that particular model.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
In fact, I was more concerned with making sure I sealed up the leather for the inevitable salt/slurry mixture with which they would come into contact. [huh]

I second this: My first winter in the IR still has to come but surely the oiled leather is well up against the notorious salt stains. I suppose after resoling an Iron Ranger with Roccia sole would be the best of all worlds...

Pinesiw

A-List Customer
Up in thompson manitoba redwing IR just wouldnt do on icy surfaces. But I was thinking maybe I could get something glued to the sole for traction at a shoe repair shop, your thoughts gentleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner