Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Very nice boots, I especially the first and last ones. What brands/models are these?

I recognize the first as a pair of Corcoran jump boots, as I wear the same for work myself (love the Munson last, as the ball of my foot is wider than most Americans, it seems). The pair pictured here appear to have had the rather ugly painted finish stripped off. #2 are L.L. Bean hunters' boots, but #3 & 4 are a mystery to me.
Yeah, I refinished the jump boots. The finish on the stock ones were just too plasticky for me.

3 and 4 are both Carolina Logger sub-zeros, though different years. #3 are 90s era without safety toe, and #4 are 70s era with the steel toe, so I can wear them at work.

tackleberry

New in Town
William Lennon 78 pattern boots without the steel toe. These were purchased from a third party seller in the UK and landed on my doorstep in the Interior of BC in five days! They were treated to two applications of Saphir Renovateur and then polished with dark brown Lincoln Stain Wax. I've worn them for one day at work with no adverse effects. I sense that the break-in will take time with these but it will be well worth the effort
PXL_20230219_173649604.jpg

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Congratulations on the new William Lennons , they make fantastic boots , they are the toughest boots I have owned, (feel as though they were hewn from rock), you are right they do take some breaking in , but will eventually mould to your foot, and they look fantastic.
D

tackleberry

New in Town
Thanks. I have been somewhat obsessed with William Lennon boots for some time and I have a pair of modified 107 Field boots on order but I wanted to try some to "scratch the itch". I am really pleased with them. In these days of fast, throw away fashion it is really neat to run across a company that still does things the old way and takes pride in their history.

20230223_175511.jpg

Picked up these Wolverines earlier this week. I'd been eyeing some similar looking Red Wings, but I found these on sale for about a third of the price. It's been my experience in the past that Wolverine doesn't necessarily make the most durable boots, but every pair I've had definitely rank among the most comfortable, and this pair is no exception. If I decide I'm really all about the style, I may go with the Red Wings later on.

Tilli

New in Town
Thanks. I have been somewhat obsessed with William Lennon boots for some time and I have a pair of modified 107 Field boots on order but I wanted to try some to "scratch the itch". I am really pleased with them. In these days of fast, throw away fashion it is really neat to run across a company that still does things the old way and takes pride in their history
luckily I shot a pair of William Lennon Derby boots on the bay over here in Germany a couple of weeks back. Man, these beauties blow me away in terms of value for money and their fit / comfortability. I took them to Iceland for a week at around minus 15 C. With a pair of thick woolen socks they keep warm and comfortable despite 15 km walking every single day, main street or single path hiking. Looking forward to the years to come with these beauties
BB5866A4-409D-42F2-A30C-1E2034A2880B.jpeg

tackleberry

New in Town
luckily I shot a pair of William Lennon Derby boots on the bay over here in Germany a couple of weeks back. Man, these beauties blow me away in terms of value for money and their fit / comfortability. I took them to Iceland for a week at around minus 15 C. With a pair of thick woolen socks they keep warm and comfortable despite 15 km walking every single day, main street or single path hiking. Looking forward to the years to come with these beauties View attachment 501501
Nice picture! I visited Iceland for a day about 30 years ago. It was Boxing Day and we flew out of Birmingham in the UK. Reykjavik has to be the cleanest city on Earth.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Not real work boots but boots just the same.

Dr Marten

In the modern world, there are guys online who cut shoes in half. We're often told by online influencers that Dr. Martens are inferior when it comes to materials and construction.

Part of me suspects that online influencers promote certain products because they are paid to do so. Part of me suspects that online influencers denounce the competitors' products.

I've worn Dr. Martens for decades. I haven't bought Dr. Martens for decades. Why? Because I still have the same Dr. Martens from decades ago. For me, they are good shoes. The cost is relatively low, compared to "better" boots. They are comfortable (on my feet). Where some people complain about discomfort, stiffness, and that they are hard to break in...... I did not have that experience. On my feet, they fit well and were comfortable. My leather uppers and soles are still in good enough condition. Very minimal care. Saddle soap cleaning, and mink oil.

These are my Dr. Martens which are several decades old. I've gotten my money's worth out of them. For the price from decades ago, they were worth it. The cost has gone up. With the price adjusted for inflation, today's Dr. Martens are sold at a higher price point. I don't know if I want to pay today's price. And I'm not just comparing Dr. Martens to Solovair. In my mind, for that kind of money........ There are more options. I'm just not that attached to "the style".

IMG_20230814_161840920.jpg

IMG_20230814_162230892.jpg

screenshot-2023-08-15-02-35-12-png.540186
Screenshot 2023-08-15 02.42.30.png
Screenshot 2023-08-15 02.35.47.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-15 02.35.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-15 02.35.12.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 203

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the modern world, there are guys online who cut shoes in half. We're often told by online influencers that Dr. Martens are inferior when it comes to materials and construction.

Part of me suspects that online influencers promote certain products because they are paid to do so. Part of me suspects that online influencers denounce the competitors' products.

I've worn Dr. Martens for decades. I haven't bought Dr. Martens for decades. Why? Because I still have the same Dr. Martens from decades ago. For me, they are good shoes. The cost is relatively low, compared to "better" boots. They are comfortable (on my feet). Where some people complain about discomfort, stiffness, and that they are hard to break in...... I did not have that experience. On my feet, they fit well and were comfortable. My leather uppers and soles are still in good enough condition. Very minimal care. Saddle soap cleaning, and mink oil.

These are my Dr. Martens which are several decades old. I've gotten my money's worth out of them. For the price from decades ago, they were worth it. The cost has gone up. With the price adjusted for inflation, today's Dr. Martens are sold at a higher price point. I don't know if I want to pay today's price. And I'm not just comparing Dr. Martens to Solovair. In my mind, for that kind of money........ There are more options. I'm just not that attached to "the style".

View attachment 540184

View attachment 540185

screenshot-2023-08-15-02-35-12-png.540186
View attachment 540188 View attachment 540189
style has a lot to do with it. I am at the age I want that nostalgia. I still find them comfortable. And for the price point they are in line with similar boots like Blundstone and timberland. I own multiple boots and shoes so I never wear the same pair two days in a row so they last for years with light use. I do own one pair of Redwing iron ranger. Are they good boots? Yes. Are they worth over double the price? To me yes. Because I know from experience they will last over twice as long as my Dr Martens. So when the docs wear out I will have a little buffer time to choose and buy a new pair of boots.
Johnny

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Last time i looked at docs (which i wore all the time as a teen) they didnt come in 1/2 sizes. Always a no go for me. 10 is too small, 11 too big. Never understood why modern makers wouldn’t offer both options.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last time i looked at docs (which i wore all the time as a teen) they didnt come in 1/2 sizes. Always a no go for me. 10 is too small, 11 too big. Never understood why modern makers wouldn’t offer both options.
I went to the actual Dr Marten store last pair I got. Tried on at least 6 pair till I found one that fit like a glove. Sizing was…. Inconsistent. But if you have the time it was well worth it for me. They fit fantastic.
Johnny

Fifty150

One Too Many
So when the docs wear out I will have a little buffer time to choose and buy a new pair of boots.

You can just buy another pair of Dr. Martens. Or Solovair.

I would lean towards Solovair since they appear to be made a little better, for lower cost.

But I get that people want the yellow stitches.

And at $260, there are a lot of boot options. A lot of better constructed boots, using better materials, can be found for less than the retail price of Dr. Martens. For half of what Dr. Martens sell for, I just bought a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile. Not a fair comparison because Amazon pricing is not consistent.

screenshot-2023-08-16-20-11-23-png.540597
Screenshot 2023-08-16 20.15.23.png

People who buy Dr. Martens are not trying to buy a well made boot, with the best leather and crafting. People buy the image and the nostalgia. Originally worn by postal workers, police officers, and factory workers. Today, those people are wearing trade specific footwear. The punks, mods, skins, and whomever from 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago are now grown up. Some are senior citizens. They're better off with Crocs.

Never understood why modern makers wouldn’t offer both options.

In the case of Dr. Martens, they have made whole sizes, for decades. The way they have made the same boot for decades. Can you imagine what that would do to their operations? They would have to buy a whole new batch of shoe lasts. And figure out how to produce the half sizes without a new factory. They have a problem with changing the way they make those classic models....... But they did embrace 3rd world manufacturing, cheaper leather, and removing the shank to save money.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 20.11.23.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 20.11.23.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 155

Fifty150

One Too Many
As I recall, the last time that I bought Dr. Martens, they retailed around $80. And you could get them on sale. Some stores had coupons. Even adjusted for inflation, $260 is a little high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk