Felt Blistering?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Jay_G, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Jay_G

Jay_G New in Town

Hi, long time listener, first time caller.

I have a fifteen year old fedora & I am currently in the process of cleaning/restoring it. It is nearly finished, but I have noticed these whitish looking bumps/blisters on the pinch. They kinda look similar to barnacles you see on ships (they're not though). What are they and is there any way they can be remedied?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gobi

Gobi Familiar Face

Are they salt deposits that made their way there during drying after cleaning? I can see that happening if hat dried crown facing down.
    Maybe stiffener that dissolved and deposited there. I'm curious as to what others have to say.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Is it just discolouration or are they hardened lumps (like barnacles)? If hardened they may be as Gobi suggests .....excess stiffener deposits? My magic 'go to' is a spritz of denatured alcohol. If excess shellac it will help break it down and drive it back into the felt. The alcohol itself leaves no trace. The other approach but a little more risky is to pounce it with a fine grit paper or even just a white poly abrasive pad. Work very gently and closely observe the result.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  4. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think the felt has just been manipulated too much at that point & the fibres have broken/worked loose. It doesn't look like particularly good felt either & rather blotchy which might explain why the bits are lighter in color since the dye didn't go all the way through evenly.
    Given the nature of the felt I wouldn't advise sanding as if I'm right, you'll end up with small tuffs instead of bumps.

belfastboy likes this.
  5. Jay_G

Jay_G New in Town

They feel like pits, but touching them they feel hard unlike the surrounding felt.

6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

looking at it again I wonder could this be a wool hat?

Rogera likes this.
  7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Heterogenous felt incursions??
    Showing at a stress point after 15 years stress.
    B

8. Jay_G

Jay_G New in Town

It is either rabbit or beaver.

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have never seen that happen on a hat before. Keep us posted on how you treat it and the result.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  10. Rogera

Rogera My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think you nailed it