Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt hat basics

bwildered

New in Town
Thank you

Lots of good info here, gave me the courage to steam shape my xxxxx felt ranch cowboy hat, fits like a glove.
Bwild

The height and shape of an open crown can dictate the types of crown bashes you can do. Some types crown shaping take a lot of material to do, so on a hat with a short crown you can run out of material. I think that a telescopic crown looks cool on some hats but it can bring the crown down to the top of your head.

Is there a definative collection of crown shapes posted?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Is there a definative collection of crown shapes posted?

I don't know about definitive. But these have been posted many times.

0abe6fc8.jpg

9007678f.jpg

RobStC

A-List Customer
daizawaguy said:
Think its pronounced like "Lean"...

Depends which part of France you're from :rolleyes:

Probably the most usual would be 'lean-yu' with a very short 'uh' sound for the 'u'. Tricky critters, those French.....:D
(Although if you go back far enough (like to about the 11th century), my ancestors were actually French, so maybe I should tread carefully here. Oh la la.....)

RobStC

One Too Many
Great tools.

All tools showed in the thread have special help when some people restore any hat, but I believe what to aline o to iron a hat, if the felt or hair is a good quality is better aline or iron by hand with a steam machine.
[huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]

ManicMagpie

New in Town
Makeup Brushes for Removing Dust

Greetings and Salutations!~

I know the question came up earlier; what about makeup brushes? I just (successfully) used a clean makeup brush on a fedora and it did take off a good deal of dust. it has synthetic hairs, and is what is called a kabuki brush. [Quite a lot of hair in a round ferrule, all cut flush to make a flat-ended brush for applying foundation, esp. "mineral"-type.] Not cheap, not easy to find, but not hard to find either. I think it would be excellent for travel kits.

Just my 2 cents worth,
~Juliana

cragmor

New in Town
This summer, my wife convinced me to go ahead and get a new hat. I used to wear a fedora when I was younger (early-mid 20's). She took me to a shop, and I found a Stetson Sovereign that I liked. She convinced me to spend the money, and off I went. It was kept stored until it got cool out, and I am finding that the brim is getting out of shape. Now, I tried reading through all the posts, but found myself getting sidetracked, so I thought I might just post my questions here. Please direct me to another thread if need be.
1. How should I store my fedora during the warm months? Just in the box it came in, with the brim up? (As opposed to the front of the brim down)
2. When I get home, should I pop the brim back up on the hat? Or, just leave it with the front down?
3. I am going to make my own hat stand from cedar for my closet. I could buy one, but I am a woodworker, so why not. Any reason not to make one of wood, or specifically cedar? I will have vents to allow it to dry, it will not be a solid block.
4. Where can I get a block, or forms for the brim for when it gets out of shape. I am skiddish about using steam and my fingers. The hat was expensive enough, and I like it enough that I want to find a better method.
5. What are some lighter weight hat options for the warmer months? Prefer the fedora style, just something that will not turn the top of my head into a sauna when it is warm.

For any of the above, if it matters, I am in Iowa if the weather here can make a difference in the answers.
Jerry

This summer, my wife convinced me to go ahead and get a new hat. I used to wear a fedora when I was younger (early-mid 20's). She took me to a shop, and I found a Stetson Sovereign that I liked. She convinced me to spend the money, and off I went. It was kept stored until it got cool out, and I am finding that the brim is getting out of shape. Now, I tried reading through all the posts, but found myself getting sidetracked, so I thought I might just post my questions here. Please direct me to another thread if need be.
1. How should I store my fedora during the warm months? Just in the box it came in, with the brim up? (As opposed to the front of the brim down)
2. When I get home, should I pop the brim back up on the hat? Or, just leave it with the front down?
3. I am going to make my own hat stand from cedar for my closet. I could buy one, but I am a woodworker, so why not. Any reason not to make one of wood, or specifically cedar? I will have vents to allow it to dry, it will not be a solid block.
4. Where can I get a block, or forms for the brim for when it gets out of shape. I am skiddish about using steam and my fingers. The hat was expensive enough, and I like it enough that I want to find a better method.
5. What are some lighter weight hat options for the warmer months? Prefer the fedora style, just something that will not turn the top of my head into a sauna when it is warm.

For any of the above, if it matters, I am in Iowa if the weather here can make a difference in the answers.
Jerry

Welcome Jerry.
I store mine in the box they came in, brim snapped up. I usually don't leave the brims snapped down when I take them off either. I use cedar in my hat boxes to ward off moths & smell good.
You really don't need a block unless something drastic happens or you get into changing creases a great deal. I use a steam iron to tweak my brims & get them back to where they should be.
Warmer weather calls for featherweight felts or straw. I also remove liners from my lighter weight felt hats for warmer weather. HTH

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the video! You're a natural in front of the camera, Matt. I really enjoyed it.

Off-topic: Do you happen to be in SF or the SF Bay Area in March or early April? I'd very much like to bespeak a suit.

DRB

One Too Many
Thank you Sir! I very much enjoyed your video. That is what I (and some of us) are here for , to learn. Excellent presentation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider