Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt hat basics

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
W0XDL said:
For lack of the probable correct terminology, I would like some help with cleaning the "rim" around the outer edge of my Homburg. I carefully was able to clean the felt but there are still a few discolored spots around this edge. The hat is gray, if that matters.

Thanks!

DL

2775884420104122225S425x425Q85.jpg

Sometimes a bound edge just has to be replaced. ... depending on how severe the edge is curled, like with some bowler hats, some hatters today won't be able to replace the ribbon so you could be stuck with a dirty one.

I know with bowlers, many hatters tend to turn the wearer away when it comes to replacing one with that sharp tight curve on the side.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Cleaning a hat

I know it sounds very effeminate, but could a makeup brush be used to clean a felt hat? I have no idea but I a guessing it would have soft bristles and be easier to get hold of than a hat brush, since I wouldn't have to specially order it. And please don't think I'm strange for having this idea, I simply don't want to pay £10 when I only have to pay, say £1.

Topdog

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
I actually get my own hat cleaning gear from Boot Barn, though I'm sure Village Hatshop has the same stuff.

I have found that the thicker off white sponges are harder to find, the brushes are everywhere and the cleaner I use is made by Scout.

B0000AHP6Q.01-A8Q3V91D2OLFL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

brush.JPG

Would a Mr. Clean Magic eraser serve the same purpose as the thick off white hat cleaning sponge?

Chilli

New in Town
Hat turning red!

my wife asked about bying a Fed IV for me for christmas here and She got me one. I am stoked with this hat but for some reason the crown at the front near the pinch and the front of the brim are turning red. I live in the tropics and also have a Dorfman pacific ( stop groaning I didn't know any better ) for a work hat. It is also turning red. Could anyone shed somelight on this for me. I was wondering if it is the high humidty? I don't wear my Fed out in the rain infact it's never been wet yet where as the Dorf get a caining. I am e-mailing the hat supplier aswell. Thanks for your time Chilli.

avedwards said:
I know it sounds very effeminate, but could a makeup brush be used to clean a felt hat? I have no idea but I a guessing it would have soft bristles and be easier to get hold of than a hat brush, since I wouldn't have to specially order it. And please don't think I'm strange for having this idea, I simply don't want to pay £10 when I only have to pay, say £1.

A true hat brush is a medium soft brush so it can brush the felt but not damage it. A make up brush may be a little too soft but we won't know until you try it. You definately want to avoid a brush that is too stiff.

jlagman

New in Town
With regards to care and maintenance what's the best way to eliminate odours? I'm an occassional/casual smoker and I've begun to worry about the felt absorbing odours from cigarette smoke. Are products like Febreeze safe to use on fur felt?

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda fights bad smells.

A good airing out on a porch works wonders.

But for stubborn odors they say to put the hat in a big plastic bag and pop in an open Arm & Hammer Baking Soda box like the refrigerator odor type. Overnight or a few nights is suppose to take out most bad odors.

Wandering Fool

New in Town
Hat measurements

Several times, I have looked at hats on ebay and the seller makes a crosswise measurement such as 8 1/4" X6 3/4", which happens to be the measurement of my fedora. Is there a rule of thumb for these type measurements that converts to a circumference or hat size.
I did a search and did not find anything on this topic.

Seems to me I must have forgotten a geometry lesson somewhere!:eusa_doh:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Wandering Fool said:
Several times, I have looked at hats on ebay and the seller makes a crosswise measurement such as 8 1/4" X6 3/4", which happens to be the measurement of my fedora. Is there a rule of thumb for these type measurements that converts to a circumference or hat size.
I did a search and did not find anything on this topic.

Seems to me I must have forgotten a geometry lesson somewhere!:eusa_doh:

Welcome to the Lounge, Wandering Fool!

The measurements that go front to rear and across are useful. You plug them into an ellipse circumference calculator. That gives you the approximate size around the sweatband which can be used to determine hat size. As with all measurements on eBay, the resulting answer is only as accurate as the seller's measuring skills!

Hope this helps!
Tom

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
On the note of cleaning, I was unable to find a proper hat brush anywhere locally and decided to try a 3" flat cut high end paint brush and I've had great success. No loose hairs and the shape lets me get into the crease easily. Just a suggestion for anyone like me having a hard time finding a proper hat brush.

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
Thanks everyone for the great advice .
Regarding the question of treating used vintage hats ,ive found that a thorough brushing with a hat brush works wonders, i have not had to tackle any severe stains but shall try some of the suggested remedies if i encounter any .
One thing that i usually do is to give the inside of the hat a light spray with a "Sneaker treater" product which contains anti bacterial and anti fungal components as well as a deoderiser.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
FurFeltFedora said:
On the note of cleaning, I was unable to find a proper hat brush anywhere locally and decided to try a 3" flat cut high end paint brush and I've had great success. No loose hairs and the shape lets me get into the crease easily. Just a suggestion for anyone like me having a hard time finding a proper hat brush.

FFF, I stopped in my local shoe makers for laces today and he had a great selection of horsehair brushes in dark and light. I know, why didn't I think of this sooner but he also carried Lexol which gives me one more reason to try and keep a vanishing craft going.
Tom D.

jwalls

Vendor
Hat cleaning and blocking

Gentlemen; In my grandfather's day most dry cleaners or haberdashers kept a supply of hat blocks to re-block their customer's hats. these days most of us have a hard time finding someone to provide these services. For this reason I have had my custom hat stiffened more than was usually done in former times. Glad I found you folks, Black Jack

jwalls

Vendor
Hat cleaning and blocking

Gentlemen; In my grandfather's day most dry cleaners or haberdashers kept a supply of hat blocks to re-block their customer's hats. these days most of us have a hard time finding someone to provide these services. For this reason I have had my custom hat stiffened more than was usually done in former times. Glad I found you folks, Black Jack

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, jwalls.

Participate in the "Post New Hats Here" thread and the "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?" thread. Those get a lot of traffic from the regulars around here.

Looking forward to seeing you in your hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy