Felt hats in summer..

Discussion in 'Hats' started by dlgilbert, Jun 17, 2005.

1. frederickgaines

frederickgaines New in Town

How would wool felt do in a hot and humid weather?

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I picked up a light weight felt from Mike at NW Hats. He pounced it extra thin, in a Sand coloured felt, no liner just a tip. It is perfect for spring /early summer up here in Vancouver, Canada. At most we have two months to wear straw and this fills in nicely. It is the perfect light weight hat for this climate.

Dm101, FedOregon and Zombie_61 like this.
  3. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

I'm originally from the desert (New Mexico to be exact). While living there, I found my threshold to be about 70 degrees before I had to give up a felt hat and go to straw or linen caps. Currently, I live in the Pacific Northwest, which is more humid. I've found my threshold has actually dropped to about 65 degrees now. I sweat pretty easily, so wearing a felt hat when it is too warm is really pretty uncomfortable for me.

FedOregon likes this.
  4. RJR

RJR

I'm in the Midwest,but my tolerance is about the same.

5. EstherWeis

EstherWeis Vendor

I wear felt all year round.
    Here it's really hot for a month tops and even then I will wear lightweight felts.

Dm101, Cap_7597 and TPD166 like this.
  6. ND1SU

ND1SU New in Town

Here's how I handle it (I'm such a computer programmer). Summer and winter in Indiana are no-brainers. Spring and autumn, however:
    1. Look at the weather forecast for the high temperature and likelihood of rain that day.
    2. If rain is likely, wear an ivy cap (until I can Scotchgard a couple of felts)
    3. If HT <= 70°F (21 °C), wear felt
    4. If 70 °F <= HT < 75 °F (24 °C), consider humidity and cloudiness
    5. If HT >75 °F, wear straw

7. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

As long as I'm not out in the direct sun, I'll wear felt up to about 75 - 80 degrees F. Above that I sweat a lot in anything, but usually go to Panama straw or a Milan weave at that point.

Art at Vintage Silhouettes has my order for a lighter dress weight Silvermist felt with a removable satin liner. I also asked him to put his snowflake shaped vents in the sides. They look very classy.

8. addison

addison One of the Regulars

Tom Landry was a class act!

And that compliment is coming from a lifelong Steelers fan!

[​IMG]

9. addison

addison One of the Regulars

...and to answer the question (sort-of), I'm way up in northern WI and I'm still wearing straws in mid '70's weather.
    I need to try one of them there fancy vented felts! ;)

FedOregon likes this.
  10. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

It's cool that the Tom Landry Highway, that goes past Jerry World in Arlington, has Mr. Landry's fedora hat as a logo

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    David - 21 Century Man

TPD166, RJR, Frunobulax and 6 others like this.
  11. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

If it's not raining, and the temperature is 65°F or above, it's a straw hat day. If there are slight chances of a little drizzle, I wear my PB-hemp. It's pretty easy to re-shape or "sharpen up", if the silhouette get's a little "lazy" :)

FedOregon likes this.
  12. RJR

RJR

+1 re the PB hemp.

FedOregon likes this.
  13. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

My felt Straw mix, not only for Summer [emoji16]
    [​IMG]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Dm101, Redfokker, Zombie_61 and 9 others like this.
  14. FedOregon

FedOregon I'll Lock Up

Man, that's crazy beautiful! What a great hat!

KY Crusader and Chepstow like this.
  15. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

My sincerest thank for your kind words, Fed!

FedOregon likes this.
  16. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

I have always admired your twin-Mayser straw-burger, Manfred! I still believe it's the most successful conversion I've seen. Really stylish ... ;)

17. RJR

RJR

+1

Chepstow likes this.
  18. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

Great to hear you Ole! I hope all is well. Thanks a lot my friend for the kind words about the Straw Burg! I am glad that I done it! It's always a little attraction.
    RJR, thank you very much! It's appreciated.

TheDane likes this.
  19. madame babette

madame babette New in Town

Hi,

Well, this is an interesting thread, which raises good questions. I have not read all the replies but wanted to give a few thoughts so pardon me if this has been raised previously. Certainly it is perfectly fine to wear a felt hat in the summer, it is a tradition that goes back well over 100 years. What I can add to it is that in the late Victorian and Edwardian eras, there was such a thing as "Summer Felts" in both mens' hats and womens' hats. Extra lightweight and thinner than most. Here is a ad from 1913, this one is for womens' hats but you get the idea, especially since the hats are all masculine styles. I have ads with mens' summer flat hats also.

I also have an antique hat ventilator, still in the original box, from around 1910 I am guessing. It has a metal punch and a celluloid template with a variety of sized holes to choose from. And a little ebony wood and boar bristle brush to finish the felt after punchng.

Funny thing, last night I watched a old movie (not so good, I think some Milton Berle thing but Ruth Roman was stunning) and one of the men had a hat with ventilated sides. My buddy asked me "did you see that guy's hat...it had holes in it...what was that all about?" So I told him. Now he wants me to punch his hat!

Anyway, I agree that wearing a felt in summer can be a very cool thing to do.

By the way, Chepstow, that combination straw and felt hat is wonderful.

summer felts 2.jpg

M Hatman, TheDane, Zombie_61 and 3 others like this.
  20. Chepstow

Chepstow I'll Lock Up

Thank you madame babette, glad that you like it! I made it for my self - The felt Part is of an old 50s Wegener Colonel Homburg and the Straw part is a Mayser Country. But I agree with you - It's indeed popular to wear felt hats in Summer, why not.
    The Ventholes in hats are a fine thing and can cool your head.