Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Female attitudes to male fashion

makll

Familiar Face
fridaynightgirl said:
You know, there is some "science" behind that. The Uncertainty of Everyday Life - 1915-1945 by Harvey Green.......... "Subjective judgments by superiors determined success and failure in the business office, and conformity in nearly all aspects of work life became highly valued.

Thanks for this post,it was interesting for me.
Dress throoughout the ages has determined status. I just got a book on the history of hats and the meaning of the particular style often had to do with postion in that culture.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
vespasian said:
Generally I find females wont actually comment on a hat. Men are more likely to say something so I've narrowed down my riposte vocabulary to two good phrases. The latter I would not use in response to a female comment unless the comment was particularly rude or ridiculing.

1. For those who ask why I wear the hat who dont deserve an impolite reply:

"Why do you wear that hat?"

Me: "Because I do."

2. For those deserving a bit more sharpness:

Me. "Like you know what looks good or not, donkey face."

Each reply can be tailored to the recipient. Obviously some people will have faces like a moose, others may be more rabbit like. Sometimes people wear bad shoes and the like. You can always add something interesting to make it a little more personal such as

"Good comment. I see its no mirror day in your house, or did your Mother dress you this morning?"

'Cause my Daddy wore one...

vespasian

One of the Regulars
I love the last comment. Made me chuckle. You know, its getting kind of awful out there. No-one makes adverse comments on my hats nowadays and the quips are drying up. There may come a time when we will have a "quip lounge" and discuss all those old comments that are now so rarely heard out and about. Mind you, every now and again a twit will come along and pass sarcasm over my choice of hat then joy of joys one of my old favourite quips will make an outing.:cheers1:

vespasian said:
2. For those deserving a bit more sharpness:
Me. "Like you know what looks good or not, donkey face."
Each reply can be tailored to the recipient. Obviously some people will have faces like a moose, others may be more rabbit like. Sometimes people wear bad shoes and the like. You can always add something interesting to make it a little more personal such as "Good comment. I see its no mirror day in your house, or did your Mother dress you this morning?"

Well, I'd hate to get you mad at me, I am afraid I'd get sliced and diced!

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
As a college student who will never be seen without a lid (fedora, newsboy, greek fishermans and even a fez), jacket (or suit) and tie, I'm used to the attention and all. I usually let people try on my hats if they ask. One time I lost a hat this way, but it was just a cheap olive fedora I got at H&M for seven dollars. In fact, it likely was for the best because it spurred me to go bid on a 40's tan Champ number that's my favorite hat today. Some people like it, some people don't, but that makes it a good way get a handle on people. Would you really want to spend time with someone who disapproves of anyone who does not dress like an effeminate hobo? There's no need to me nasty about it though, just make sure your reply is something like what Alan Ladd would say in 'This Gun For Hire'. And it has to end in "see?"

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Some further observations on this topic...

I'm a bit annoyed with myself that I didn't think of this sooner. A close friend and I are always bantering back and forth about the knuckleheaded comments we get because of our manner of dress, especially when out on the town. Men, if uncomfortable with the way other men are dressed, will take potshots at other men in full view of the public, generally to cut the other down and make themselves look better...'Hey, look, it's Eliot Ness!', 'The Mafia's here!', 'Zoot suit riot!', et al. Guys pretty much confront each other head on. I remember once incident in particular when I and the aforementioned friend were passing a patio in San Francisco's North Beach district late one night, dressed to the nines, and I dropped my mint tin. A quick stoop, grab, and flashy swoop back into normal stride, and I got a comment...'Yeah, you're dressed fancy, but you can't pull it off if you're dropping stuff all over the place!' I spun on my heel, and shot back, 'I'd like to see you pull this off!' No futher comment was made, and I went on my way. Thrust, parry, thrust, touche.

Women, on the other hand, outside of the catty-yet-subtle face-to-face comments, generally will gossip and tear others down privately. It's a completely different game. Of course, this is more the case with better-bred women, not to say it's a classy thing to do, but women that are...not classy, shall we say, will likely get in each other's faces and insult directly.

There are execptions to every rule, of course. I still stand by my statement that if you're secure in who you are, you won't let anyone else dictate what you put on your body.

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Hmmmm.....No, I'm afraid I'm too slow of brain for witty ripostes.
Any advice for the more tongue tied of us? How about carrying a sturdy stick or a sharp Chive?
My usual riposte is not witty or clever.....It's usually "B*LL***S" :kick:
A friend of mine used to carry a small gold plated Baby Browning with a full clip in his waistcoat pocket. Very suave....Very illegal.
These people are pretty sickening anyway. What right have they got to belittle anyone?

jeff.

Tudor

Familiar Face
vespasian said:
Generally I find females wont actually comment on a hat. Men are more likely to say something so I've narrowed down my riposte vocabulary to two good phrases. The latter I would not use in response to a female comment unless the comment was particularly rude or ridiculing.

Kids are not afraid to say anything. I was approached the other day by a 10year old and asked if I was a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìDetective or something?¢‚Ǩ?. I smiled and said "no". ?¢‚Ǩ?ìWell, why do you wear that hat??¢‚Ǩ? was the reply. I then said ?¢‚Ǩ?ìI wear it to keep my head warm and the sun off my face. Besides, I think I look good in a hat. Why don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t you wear one??¢‚Ǩ? Nothing was said after that but I think by the look on his face he was wondering why as well. A future man in a hat just may have been born.

Tin Pan Sally

Hat Fetish

I have a flat-out fetish for guys in nice hats (not baseball caps). Unfortunately, most men these days only wear hats because they are ashamed of being bald.
A cool vintage suit and hat can make a complete rube suddenly look sophisticated or a debauched jerk, appear to be a fine gentleman. Some carry it off better than others though. Low-key actually works better than trying to be all flash and pizazz, in my opinion. Just my personal preference in men.

Raindog

One of the Regulars
You realise of course Tin Pan Sally, that you've immediately gained lots of fans on this forum? :p
I'm balding rapidly, but wear hat's because of a liking for them. A lot of the time I'm bare headed too. I wonder how many men actually wear hats because of baldness? Maybe people think I do that, which is unfortunate.
Does the type of hat affect how you like the look of a man Sally? Would a baseball cap do it as well as a fedora for instance? Or a newsboy?

Jeff.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
The Wingnut said:
Some further observations on this topic...
Men, if uncomfortable with the way other men are dressed, will take potshots at other men in full view of the public, generally to cut the other down and make themselves look better...'Hey, look, it's Eliot Ness!', 'The Mafia's here!', 'Zoot suit riot!', et al. .

I wish I got comments like this, I get stuck with Inspector Gadget. And it was in my Capone-styled outfit.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Born again and washed in the blood...

...and about as unfrumpy as they get!

If you hate yer Daddy...ummmm..."Cause My Daddy wore one, and even though I hated him, he had a sense of style that is lacking in this day, and I wish to emulate him. He was a cruel ba***rd and worked his children to the bone on his God forsaken Appalacian farm. But, boy, did the man have an appreciation for fine hats and caps. Now you must excuse me, I have an appointment with my therapist, good day."

whistlebait

One of the Regulars
Women, on the other hand, outside of the catty-yet-subtle face-to-face comments, generally will gossip and tear others down privately. It's a completely different game. Of course, this is more the case with better-bred women, not to say it's a classy thing to do, but women that are...not classy, shall we say, will likely get in each other's faces and insult directly.
Either way it's tacky and tasteless on both ends, completely the reason for limiting my social circle. But back to the topic, a well-dressed man is always a plus, but then it makes me wonder if maybe, they care too much about themselves. [huh]

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Whistlebait, I knew it would come to this :) The realisation that men just can't win....
I spent years as a scruffy sloppy couldn't care less about his appearance man....No luck with the ladies.
So I change and start to dress better and look at hats and fashion, and you tell me that us men are vain :cry:
From now on I shall go naked into the world, my reproductive organs freely blowing in the breeze, except for my fedora planted on my head....Do you think this would work?

Jeff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24