Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like a special order to me. in a previously unavailable sheepskin.

I realize you're the "everything but Shinki sucks" guy and this is pointless, but there's a difference between a store placing an order for a stock of things and an individual buyer wanting to do the same.

Schott no longer does individual custom orders, but 316 does a special collaboration Schott jacket every year. That's not a double standard–that's just… being a store.

Likewise, Field is doing this collaboration as a test run for sheepskin jackets, which will eventually be offered.

It's hard to imagine you aren't being willfully obtuse here.

Aloysius

In more positive news, Anyone see @Marc mndt new jacket coming along? Looks cool. Did you rotate the arms forward on this one too, Marc?

Good question! I wonder if the 'Marc arm' has been incorporated into the pattern at this point.

I'm planning on something Marc inspired for my own. Been looking at a lot of old photos for ideas too.

(You guys in the queue should be grateful, by the way! Sam emailed me about measurements/fit photos back in late October but I've been so busy all winter that I was only able to send those this past week– so I think quite a few people (justifiably) got to skip the line for a few months).

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The last project I saw of Marc’s had really pointy shoulders
You mean this one?

E20D1CBB-789F-4E5F-A606-958018A718D3.jpeg
156890D2-75B7-4435-B693-1ABAD9BB8643.jpeg

Did you rotate the arms forward on this one too, Marc?

Yep, since the last jacket was pretty much perfect already I used it as a base for the leathertogs repro. Just a bit less front drop and the sleeves slightly wider at elbow height yet narrower at the cuffs.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I figure I will get the jacket I was modeling the Field project after, a Rainbow Country Highwayman in Shinki Seal brown, which oddly isn’t really that much more money.
I think we should stop seeing FL as the cheaper option. For one they're not cheap anymore, a fully customized jacket costs £1500 and that's without the fit jacket.

More importantly, they're so much more than a budget option. Where else can you get a one off, stitched to perfection, fully customized jacket.

Also, doing a custom project with Greg and Sam is fun. It's an experience, totally different from buying a catalog jacket.

If you want a Rainbow Country jacket, buy a Rainbow Country jacket.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Good question! I wonder if the 'Marc arm' has been incorporated into the pattern at this point.

I'm planning on something Marc inspired for my own. Been looking at a lot of old photos for ideas too.

(You guys in the queue should be grateful, by the way! Sam emailed me about measurements/fit photos back in late October but I've been so busy all winter that I was only able to send those this past week– so I think quite a few people (justifiably) got to skip the line for a few months).
If I ever jump back into the FL queue, I would make sure I got the Marc arm. I'm actually wondering as well if Greg will make it standard. IMO it's a huge improvement.

@Marc mndt glad to hear it. Should look fantastic. Glad you're also incorporating the extreme taper of leather togs sleeves

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
If I ever jump back into the FL queue, I would make sure I got the Marc arm. I'm actually wondering as well if Greg will make it standard. IMO it's a huge improvement.

@Marc mndt glad to hear it. Should look fantastic. Glad you're also incorporating the extreme taper of leather togs sleeves
I opted for the rotated arm on mine too - should arrive next week, so will report back to compare against my earlier FL jackets….

Damon141

Practically Family
I saw that MASH sells deadstock 70s wool-backed rayon L-2 jacket liner. Could make a nice liner for a leather jacket. On the other hand, I can't imagine you could do a nice paneled lining with it.
This looks great, do you know anything about this material?

Mainly the durability?

I just ordered lining for my upcoming projects, some Moleskin for the body and viscose twill for the sleeves.

Aloysius

This looks great, do you know anything about this material?

Mainly the durability?

I just ordered lining for my upcoming projects, some Moleskin for the body and viscose twill for the sleeves.

Should be perfectly durable although since you live in Florida you’d be better off with a regular rayon liner, not a wool-backed one. This isn’t a fancy material, just flight satin.

I would highly, highly recommend you cancel the order for moleskin fabric. Moleskin is a warm, tight knit fabric for harsh weather and cold. I wear it for things like shoveling snow… in Florida it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Aloysius

Let me doubly clear: I would not get moleskin lining even if I were still living in harsh Northeastern mountain winters…

Getting it in Florida is a short route to passing out from dehydration, on the one hand, or a never-worn jacket, on the other.

Damon141

Practically Family
Should be perfectly durable although since you live in Florida you’d be better off with a regular rayon liner, not a wool-backed one. This isn’t a fancy material, just flight satin.

I would highly, highly recommend you cancel the order for moleskin fabric. Moleskin is a warm, tight knit fabric for harsh weather and cold. I wear it for things like shoveling snow… in Florida it would be an unmitigated disaster.
The moleskin has already been delivered to Greg but I did order a lighter weight instead of the heavier I was going to. It’s around 300g weight with the heavier ones at 700g.
One will be Moleskin and the other a Tartan just because I thought it fitting to use a traditional Scottish tartan in a Scottish made jacket. I did go for a lighter twill in the sleeves.
Hopefully it won’t be too warm for the Moleskin, I was hooked on it when I saw pictures of the old German jackets and thought it had a rugged simplicity, nothing fancy or anything to get tired of.

I like the paneling style of lining myself so I was thinking of this material as a sleeve lining for ease of putting your arms in, the cotton drill on my Himel I’m sure is really durable but I wish I would have done a smoother material in the sleeves.

You caught my attention with NOS fabric as I have been collecting vintage NOS zippers and will be using some interesting ones with my Field Leather jackets coming soon.

Aloysius

The moleskin has already been delivered to Greg but I did order a lighter weight instead of the heavier I was going to. It’s around 300g weight with the heavier ones at 700g.

It’s not the weight that makes moleskin hot. It’s the weave. Moleskin is basically a very tight and firm cotton blanket cloth.

It’s up to you but I would urge you to ask Field to hold on to it and use something different in your jacket. Possibly a forum member who lives in the Midwest or Canada can pay you to use it in his own jacket.

I was thinking of this material as a sleeve lining for ease of putting your arms in, the cotton drill on my Himel I’m sure is really durable but I wish I would have done a smoother material in the sleeves.

The NOS wool-backed rayon? I wouldn’t. I would get tailoring rayon for that purpose.

The wool-backed rayon is the liner material for winter flight jackets, of which I own several.

I have a couple of Filson moleskin vests that can get warm. I also owned a Pegasus with thin moleskin lining when I lived in Fort Lauderdale. It was not easy to wear down there. Saved it for trips north.

Aloysius

I have a couple of Filson moleskin vests that can get warm. I also owned a Pegasus with thin moleskin lining when I lived in Fort Lauderdale. It was not easy to wear down there. Saved it for trips north.

Exactly. Moleskin by itself demands cold weather. Moleskin plus leather (plus Florida) sounds like masochism.

This is complete misconception, albeit a widely believed one today. Any honest British punk enthusiast will admit it.

The Sex Pistols look was developed by Malcolm McLaren based on things he had seen observing the New York punk scene, especially during his failed bid managing the New York Dolls.

Their core look was copied from Richard Hell, who Malcolm McLaren observed when he was in New York. This is where things like the safety pinned shirt came from (incidentally, Hell didn’t do that as a fashion statement; rather a junkie had literally cut up his shirt so he had to safety pin it together.)

Then they wore English rocker clothes (Sid wore a Dominator from Lewis) while wanting to look like the Ramones. When they did their bizarre US tour, they went into a leather shop and Sid got a Perfecto so that he could look like Dee Dee Ramone, whom he idolised. This is why he wore the eagle pin, as a nod to Joey’s pin.

It absolutely was a costume, and a conscious one at that.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-london-punks-changed-fashion-forever?utm_source=pocket-newtab

@Aloysius is right!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner