Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great looking jacket, but does it really button up that way, or are we seeing a reflection?

When I saw this pop up on his sales listing I assumed it was a cancelled but very unusual special order given the combination of elements (car coat, but with a hem cinch, right over left). Still looks very good but that would explain it.

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
New modified Route 66 :
IMG_20230413_161631.jpg

IMG_20230413_161655.jpg

Overall this jacket is all I looked for. Sadly I have two gripes with this jacket.
First being, that the kidney panel is not symmetrical as can be seen on the pic above. On the right side the panel is 5mm higher than on the left side. Of corse this can only been seen under close inspektion. I still recognised it without need to measure it.

The second fault I find can been seen on the left cuff.
Here a closeup:
IMG_20230413_164251.jpg

It's a little hole/scar in the hide. Maybe that normal and unavoidable but since the rest of the hide is blemishfree it is the more noticeable.
I hope that you can convince me that this both still aceptible in a 1300 pound sterling jacket.

Otherwise it is really nice. A bit on the longer side for a kaff racer (1/4 longer than spect, so very well in the aceptible deviation range) but I still like it.
Here seen with the highest rise jean I own.
IMG_20230413_143147.jpg
IMG_20230413_144332.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It's a little hole/scar in the hide. Maybe that normal and unavoidable but since the rest of the hide is blemishfree it is the more noticeable.
I hope that you can convince me that this both still aceptible in a 1300 pound sterling jacket.

Leather is a natural product. Full grain leather will show blemishes.

Is it acceptable on a £1300 jacket? For just £300 or less you can get a sanded/coated blemish-free split leather jacket. Less money less blemishes :)

First being, that the kidney panel is not symmetrical as can be seen on the pic above. On the right side the panel is 5mm higher than on the left side.

The human body isn't that symmetrical!

Here's my crooked, blemished FL.

IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0131.jpeg
IMG_0130.jpeg
IMG_0129.jpeg

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Leather is a natural product. Full grain leather will show blemishes.

Is it acceptable on a £1300 jacket? For just £300 or less you can get a sanded/coated blemish-free split leather jacket. Less money less blemishes :)

The human body isn't that symmetrical!

Here's my crooked, blemished FL.

View attachment 507394 View attachment 507395 View attachment 507396 View attachment 507397
Thanks! That put me at ease. Deep in my heart I knew it already but, as with all things new and expensive, I got a little bit overexited.
Thanks for talking your trouble.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
New modified Route 66 :
View attachment 507371
View attachment 507372
Overall this jacket is all I looked for. Sadly I have two gripes with this jacket.
First being, that the kidney panel is not symmetrical as can be seen on the pic above. On the right side the panel is 5mm higher than on the left side. Of corse this can only been seen under close inspektion. I still recognised it without need to measure it.

The second fault I find can been seen on the left cuff.
Here a closeup:
View attachment 507375

Otherwise it is really nice. A bit on the longer side for a kaff racer (1/4 longer than spect, so very well in the aceptible deviation range) but I still like it.
Here seen with the highest rise jean I own.
View attachment 507378 View attachment 507380
is it an actual hole? Like you can see light through it? If so, I wouldn't be cool with that. If it's a disfiguration, scar, etc. then that's fine.

Damon141

Practically Family
You will have scarring on most hides, and depending on how the scar is placed on the hide, the manufacturer will will try to place it in an area that is less obvious, or if possible sometimes cut around it, but that's not always an option.

Horses in general will have scars because they're only able to use horses that die of natural causes which means the horse has presumably lived a long and healthy life, so they will have bug bites of all kinds, possible scarring from Barbwire, or even from scratching themselves against a fence or a tree.

I will say if it really bothers you that you could shorten the jacket, but it looks good to me, it looks to be about one of the best locations to modify a jacket on one of the best styles given how complicated a sleeve shortening can be when there are zippers involved or compare that to a cross zip with a belt and multiple pockets close to the hem, that would make near impossible to shorten that style.

But again the jacket looks great, and I would wear it in good health, it will only get better the more you wear it.

Thank you so much for sharing your review and the pictures with the board

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Horses in general will have scars because they're only able to use horses that die of natural causes which means the horse has presumably lived a long and healthy life, so they will have bug bites of all kinds, possible scarring from Barbwire, or even from scratching themselves against a fence or a tree.
From what I've read this might have been true for the United States at one point in time but in Europe horses are laughtered for their meat. Horween gets most of their horsehides from France, Shinki from Poland (if I'm not mistaken).
It's a little hole/scar in the hide.

If it really bothers you, you could fill up the scar with black Urad.
FD7592F4-93DD-4B54-89A3-BDBADAC80F4F.jpeg

Damon141

Practically Family
From what I've read this might have been true for the United States at one point in time but in Europe horses are laughtered for their meat. Horween gets most of their horsehides from France, Shinki from Poland (if I'm not mistaken).
Good info, that's just what I always heard. I do remember hearing about certain countries eating horse now that you mentioned it. Obviously Europe has a longer history than America and I remember now that horses would surely be eaten by soldiers.

That's why you always hear of polish horses

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

If it really bothers you, you could fill up the scar with black Urad.
View attachment 507525
When I was at Desolation Row in Tokyo, the sales dude was funny. He asked me where I was from, I said from Poland. He said shinki hides are from Poland, buy a Mulholland and the hide will come home. Nice pitch, but I didn't.

FL2021

Familiar Face
When the Quebecois get the munchies... the hides from Quebec find there way to Horween... Quebec is a large consumer of ...and thus a major supplier of hides to it's brothers south of the 49th parallel

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was at Desolation Row in Tokyo, the sales dude was funny. He asked me where I was from, I said from Poland. He said shinki hides are from Poland, buy a Mulholland and the hide will come home. Nice pitch, but I didn't.

Should have asked him for a free jacket/discount in recognition of your heritage!

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Damn it's real nice fit and all. You have another jacket in the queue right?
Thank you!

Yes. I will get a modified halfbelt when and if they will start using semianiline, dyed through brown hide.
Unfortunatly, though understandably, the brown shinki pony is history.
But we are getting the fit jacket done now, so that the production can Start asap.

Sidenote: Consider to use moleskin as a lining. Very velvet-like but durable at the same time. Happy that I did choose it over the tartan wool.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thank you!

Yes. I will get a modified halfbelt when and if they will start using semianiline, dyed through brown hide.
Unfortunatly, though understandably, the brown shinki pony is history.
But we are getting the fit jacket done now, so that the production can Start asap.

Sidenote: Consider to use moleskin as a lining. Very velvet-like but durable at the same time. Happy that I did choose it over the tartan wool.
Their Scottish moleskin is nice, I use it on most of my custom Aero builds too. But I went with a heavy tweed on my Field leather build because I don't have those yet and wanted to try.

The ponyhide is really nice, has a real nice drape but still dense horsehide feeling. The brown is hard because the semi aniline finish shows all the imperfections. But if going all the way to pigment then the drape would decrease a bit from the stiffer paint. This is a hard one, Greg needs to work with the tannery to figure something out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21